Diet vegetable help needed.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I went food shopping today. Lots of fruit and veggies for the diet kid (me).

I have no idea why I did it, but, I bought two eggplants. All I have ever done with them (with success) is to make fried eggplant. Love it!!!!!

Whoa!! Hold on!!! Fried = Bad.

I tried eggplant parm once and made something that Bear and Liam would not even eat (Side note: A Labrador Retriever thinks of food then anything else), pretty sad.

Anyway - Does anyone know anything that I can make with them? Is there a way to "oven fry" with very little oil?

Maybe some kind of a thing like eggplant parm that works. Is there a safe Mozzarella?

As always - Thank you in advance.

Andy

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I try to avoid fried food, too. I make eggplant parm at home by baking the slices after I bread them. It's a bit drier than usual eggplant parm, but you can always add extra sauce. Use part skim mozzarella. Fat free is pretty awful.

You can make a stuffed eggplant with minimal fat, if you like. Cut it in half and scoop out the inside. Dice it and saute it in oil. Add some sauteed ground turkey, some sauteed fresh mushrooms, minced garlic and fresh basil. Top it with diced tomatoes and a bit of that part skim mozz. Bake it till hot and the cheese has melted.

You can marinate peeled slices in balsamic, sugar, oregano, S&P and garlic. Then grill it. Make a sandwich on bread you like, with lettuce, tomato, red onion, roasted red pepper, basil leaves and the hot eggplant slices. sprinkle a little parm on the ingredients before you put the lid on it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This is a good one Andy:

Eggplant Parmesan:

1/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 medium raw eggplant
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Set aside.

Remove skin from eggplant and trim off ends.

Slice into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

Dip each slice in the egg whites and then the bread crumb mixture.

Bake on a nonstick baking sheet until lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once halfway through.

Layer 1/3 of eggplant in bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with 1/3 of tomato sauce and 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese.

Repeat with 2 more layers. Bake about 10 minutes until bubbly and the cheese melts. Makes 4 servings.

Each serving is 180 calories, 5.8 grams of fat, 20.6 grams of carbs, 6.5 grams of fiber, 13.2 grams of protein.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've made this a lot, Andy.

Lee

Roasted eggplant and garlic salad with tomatoes Bon Appétit | June 1998

Great served with grilled lamb, steak or any Mediterranean-style menu.
Serves 4.

1 1 1/4-pound eggplant, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 1-pint basket cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place eggplant in 13 x 9 x 2-inch roasting pan. Drizzle oil over; toss to coat. Roast 20 minutes. Add garlic; continue to roast until eggplant and garlic are tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes longer. Remove from oven. Cool slightly. Finely chop garlic cloves. Transfer eggplant and garlic to medium bowl.
Mix remaining ingredients into eggplant mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) per serving: calories, 115; total fat, 7 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0

Attachments

• Eggplant salad.JPG
    Eggplant salad.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 112

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These were pretty good, too!

Lee

Eggplant fries

From Uncle Bob

Peel, slice into circles, salt. Let them set for 30 minutes or more to "sweat"
Rinse off and cut into 'french fries' dredge them in a 1/2 cornmeal 1/2 flour mixture and pan fry! You'll love them!\

Enjoy

Attachments

• Eggplant fries.JPG
    Eggplant fries.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 211

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
These were pretty good, too!

Lee

Eggplant fries

From Uncle Bob

Peel, slice into circles, salt. Let them set for 30 minutes or more to "sweat"
Rinse off and cut into 'french fries' dredge them in a 1/2 cornmeal 1/2 flour mixture and pan fry! You'll love them!\

Enjoy

attachment.php

Wow! that looks great!