tech overboard!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
did a security check and out router turned up as woefully deficient - like a decade 'out of date' / past 'supported'
so new router.

got one with a USB port.
hung a solid state "network drive" on the router.
copied my recipe over to the router.
replaced the cookbook with a SurfaceGo tablet.
IMG_0690.jpg

working on modifying my shopping list program so the data files reside on the network drive - that way I can add anything from anywhere....
yes, I can forget what was to go on the list between the kitchen and the office.... all 25 feet of it . . . .

not sure if I'll transfer my card file to the network drive....
IMG_0691.jpg
I'm a bit old fashioned.....

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very kewl. So inquiring minds want to know ....what kind of router and network drive did you get? And, how did you do this security check. I"m probably past due to update my router but ...it works so I have not thought about it till your post. Thanks. :tiphat:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I would also like info on the security check.

I have a Lenovo desktop with 2 drive slots. I installed a second terabyte drive to use as a network drive. I store all my recipes and pictures on it.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I would also like info on the security check.

I have a Linksys router.

I have a Lenovo desktop with 2 drive slots. I installed a second terabyte drive to use as a network drive. I store all my recipes and pictures on it.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
hmm. long message got trashed. oh well.
the security check up is nothing special - admin/password access stuff, long network key - checked for any firmware updates and that's when I found out all support had ceased for that model ten years+/- ago.
port checking here https://www.portcheckers.com/

TP-Link AX3000 is the new one. DW may trade up to an iPhone 11 which supports AX. the AX stuff is not quite soup yet. hopefully 'finality' can be achieved by firmware updates. the user interface is seriously superior to my old D-Link.

I use Samsung SS drives. did the internal on my notebook and the desktop will go SS as soon as the warranty is up. they have a slick disk cloning app. boot up times are near instant....

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I use Samsung SS drives. did the internal on my notebook and the desktop will go SS as soon as the warranty is up.

:thumb:

One of the best things I've ever done was putting a WD SSD in my desktop a couple of years ago. HUGE performance improvement!

Jim

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
well, got the shopping list program modified for network files....
parallel testing in progress.

I will not tolerate the use/presence of a keyboard in the kitchen. hence I'm depending on the on-screen-keyboard. theory is good. reality was in crocodile mode (i.e. biting...) because the app and the keyboard didn't 'fit' on the screen.
and then I discovered the ways and means of making the keyboard smaller, and doing a click&drag to position it in a suitable spot....

film at 11 . . .