Allen's Smoked Pork Posole

AllenOK

Ok, this probably isn't anywhere near authentic. Also, I would have added some chipotles, if I had them. Most of the measurements are good, except the amount of meat. I'm guessing 5 c, and sorry, I didn't think to weigh it.

veggie oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 - 2 T minced garlic
1 T chili powder
1 t oregano
1 t cumin
1 t coriander
two bay leaves
1 t freshly ground black pepper
salt, to taste
one 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
three 15 oz cans white hominy, undrained
2 c rich beef stock
2 c rich chicken stock
~ 5 c pulled smoked pork butt
2 - 3 T masa harina mixed with water to make a slurry

In a heavy-bottomed Dutch Oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and slowly cook until the onions begin to turn brown. Add the chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, bay leaves, black pepper, and a little salt. Stir to combine well. Cook for a minute or two to caramelize the seasonings. Add some of the tomatos, and increase the heat to medium-high. Stir almost constantly. You want to the tomatoes to caramelize a bit, but not to burn. Once the mixture starts to stick, add the hominy (with the liquid from the can) and stir well to deglaze the pan. Add the remaining tomatoes and the stocks. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Add the pork, and stir once or twice. Bring back to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover. Bring back to a rolling boil, and drizzle in the masa slurry. Stir gently so you don't break the pork up completely, but mix the liquid. Taste, and add more salt if needed.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Allen, this rocks! But it would be better if you could make it and then invite me over! Why of why can I not live close to some of you folks!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good, Allen. I have all the stuff to make it, and I DO love it!

Thanks!

Lee