The Roving Apron Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks to Doc and High Cheese for getting this started...and in the interest of really getting it going...

Doc, you begin by taking a picture of yourself in the NCT apron, cooking something. Then, send the apron to High Cheese at whatever address he gives you. Then....High Cheese send the apron to me (unless I've missed someone else saying they wanted in on this) I'll send it to PieSusan. PieSusan sends it to.....................?

1. Doc
2. High Cheese
3. VeraBlue
4. PieSusan

Don't send any money with the apron! Sign it! If you want to send a trinket along with it, something that must always travel with it, fine..but it's not for the next person to keep! But, keep in mind, the more that get's sent, the more expensive it's going to be to ship it. I'm all for simple postal shipping. If folded, the apron will fit into a large manilla envelope.

Post the picture and recipe and then send it along. I'm all for setting a 2 week time limit as well. Please don't sign on if you don't think you can move it along within two weeks.

Sorry to jump in and get it moving..but I never got to participate in a prior event like this...and really want to see this one succeed.

What say all of you???

chowhound

Re: The Traveling Apron

Two week time limit?! When I read their intentions I was thinking a few days in possession should be about right. 2-3 days in the mail, 2 weeks in possession, another 2-3 days.... one person could tie this up for almost 3 weeks. I'd hate to see it "stall" so to speak. JMO :^D

And I'm in, but just for the original idea of wearing while cooking something.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Count me in. Maybe a Mod should make this a sticky topic?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Thanks Vera for starting this thread.
This should be fun. :D

I'll stick the thread after I post this.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

1. Doc
2. High Cheese
3. VeraBlue
4. PieSusan
5. Luvs
6. Miniman
7. Chowhound
8. Keltin
9. Homecook
10. Adillo303

Chowhound, I picked 2 weeks trying to keep it realistic. Let's say the apron arrives in your mailbox. You happen to be in the middle of a hectic week, or you have the flu, or gremlins have stolen the battery to your camera.....life tends to get in the way of all good intentions is my only thought. With a 2-week maximum it won't intimidate people from signing on. Naturally, if you get done with it sooner, send it on! I hope it doesn't seem too unreasonable, I'm just trying to give everyone the opportunity to participate.

Last edited:

chowhound

Vera, maybe we should check with whoever we plan on sending it to then.
I mean, if I have it and the next person in line is JoeV and he says he's doing an out of town remodelling project that is going to last 2 weeks and he's going to eat out every day, then he should be bumped down the list. Don't you think?
I'm usually the minority here in the way I think, but that still seems like a long time to me. That's why I mentioned a "connect the dots" approach, too. So the post office doesn't have it any longer than they have to because it's going back and forth across the country (or ocean) and bypassing people along the way.

I tend to be technical about such things though ; ^)

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

It would be easire to have a list and then stick to it, Chow...The way you propose, if someone is not ready for it, then whoever is in charge of the list has to keep track of moving someone continuously down the line...

From a lojack point of view, if you are number 10 on the list, you get it from number 9. You then have two weeks to get it to number 11. If you cannot attend to it within those two weeks, send it along and contact the list holder who can put you at the end of the list. If you see your number is coming up and you know you cannot attend to it, contact the list holder and get your name off the list before the previous person relinquishes it.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

I'm taking PieSusan off the list for now...she's in renovations hell right now.
The number sequence is changing.
1. Doc
2. High Cheese
3. VeraBlue
4. Luvs
5. Miniman
6. Chowhound
7. Keltin
8. Homecook
9. Adillo303
10. PieSusan
11.Love2Q
12. TexasGirl

Last edited:

chowhound

It would be easire to have a list and then stick to it, Chow...The way you propose, if someone is not ready for it, then whoever is in charge of the list has to keep track of moving someone continuously down the line...

From a lojack point of view, if you are number 10 on the list, you get it from number 9. You then have two weeks to get it to number 11. If you cannot attend to it within those two weeks, send it along and contact the list holder who can put you at the end of the list. If you see your number is coming up and you know you cannot attend to it, contact the list holder and get your name off the list before the previous person relinquishes it.

Nooo... The list could simply be a "cross your name off the list" kind of thing. Nobody should have to keep track of anything except picking a name on the list, preferably nearby, and asking them if they are ready for the apron.
I don't know all our members locals, but don't you think you, Jeeks, Andy, (BT? if he wants in), should all be connected?
Luvs is 2 hours south of me, JoeV & Homecook are in walking distance of each other and 2 hours west of me. Don't you think we should be connected in out mailings?
If Galvatron signs on tomorrow, you would have Ray sending it to me and someone else sending it back to the UK for Galvatron.

I'm in no matter, but I can see we aren't going to agree on this. :a1:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

I agree with you on that, Chow...:respect:

I'm not even sure who's going to over see this thing...Nose nate that I am, I'm just sticking my 2 cents into the pot.

Now, if a power that bes would like me to ride shotgun on this venture I'd be happy to. I do not want to offend anyone here with my Madame-esque way of controlling things:wink: I love you, Chowhound!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I'd like to get in on this also. Put me down.
It might be nice if when yo get it if we all meet for lunch and get a group picture with us and Susan. We could call it the NCT Cleveland Eat-In!:clap: Let me know what y'all think. I'm up for a little Corky & Lenny's lunch menu. Maybe some hot pastrami on rye with a side of slaw. How about some matzo ball soup too? I'll drive! (Can anyone tell this place is a Deli?)

homecook

It might be nice if when yo get it if we all meet for lunch and get a group picture with us and Susan. We could call it the NCT Cleveland Eat-In!:clap: Let me know what y'all think. I'm up for a little Corky & Lenny's lunch menu. Maybe some hot pastrami on rye with a side of slaw. How about some matzo ball soup too? I'll drive! (Can anyone tell this place is a Deli?)

Sounds like a plan Joe!! Let's do it!

chowhound

You can add me, but, I want to be towards the end.

This is a perfect example of part what I was trying to explain. Put everyone on a list, add to the list as members speak up, but we shouldn't have to follow an order. This way TG can stay in limbo until she finally says yes to someone.
And as an aside, maybe she doesn't want the person numerically above her name to have her address....

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter

Yeah, I don't want /\ /\ /\ him to have it!!:yum:
I just need more time because I having things going on right now and don't want to have to worry about getting it done. I want to wait when I'm settled more.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Okay...I'm just doing this for the sake of getting it started. Personally, if someone doesn't want others to have their address, why get involved with something that requires US Mail? If there was no list of who was next, just saying " I want it I want it" is unfair to someone who said I want it 3 weeks ago after two other people said I want it.. At some point, there would have to be a waiting list.

Just tried to be helpful...if you really want to take it and do it another way, I'm fine with that. Someone has to oversee the project though. Why not take a vote on how everyone wants to handle it. I happen to think too many cooks can spoil a soup and sometimes, it's good to follow the recipe. I would still like to receive the apron at some point, though.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter

that's fine, I'm out then. There are reason's as I said. I don't care if someone has my address, that wasn't the reason, so, I'm out.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

why does everybody have to complicate things?..:yum::yum:

i dont want the apron coming into my possession i dont trust USPS..lol

when you go get your mail and find the apron is in it...snap a quick pick with it, sign your name, send it out again...honestly why complicate things?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

I haven't put my 2 cents in yet because, like TG, I don't want it for a while yet. May I suggest that Doc send it to High Cheese and then when High Cheese is done with it he can put on the thread that he is done with it and ask who would like it next. Life can be crazy sometimes and I for one just don't know if 2 or 3 or 6 months from now something won't be going on in my life where I don't have time for an apron at the moment and I don't want to be the one that's holding up progress.

Wasabi

why does everybody have to complicate things?..:yum::yum:

i dont want the apron coming into my possession i dont trust USPS..lol

when you go get your mail and find the apron is in it...snap a quick pick with it, sign your name, send it out again...honestly why complicate things?
When The Traveling Apron traveled in "Happy Valley" aka DC, a "member" made off with the apron, the postage money and all the mementos that traveled with it. Did they ever get it back? :whistling: Yes, it does get complicated.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

...when you go get your mail and find the apron is in it...snap a quick pick with it, sign your name, send it out again...honestly why complicate things?
That's the way I did the hat for my fly fishing group. It's really a no-brainer. We did try to have groups of people get together to do the signing, then one person snapped individual pictures so we could see the ugly mugs of our online liars.:lol:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

I would like to participate in it, but no way I am trusting the USPS with it. Whoever sent it to me would have to send it so it requires a signature or send it UPS, otherwise it could 'disappear' like so many other things that are supposed to come to me!
I would send it back out USPS cause that has never been a problem, but it is always hit or miss on stuff that does not require a signature reaching me.

Status
Not open for further replies.