CMT copycat recipe premier

Guts

this is going to premiere Friday night at 9 PM Pacific time here. I'm not sure what time it would be premiering East Coast time. Maybe 9 PM there too. I saw this guy that wrote this book on the news and in promoting the book. Of course, but it was going to be on CMT television. On the news they made their knockoff recipe of KFC chicken and the taste test. They couldn't taste the difference between the real thing and the knockoff recipe. So they said. Anyway, if somebody you want to watch it. Here's a link to CMT copycat recipe premiere.

http://www.cmt.com/show/top_secret_recipe/series.jhtml

here's the KFC knockoff recipe from that site on CMT.

Todd Wilbur's version of KFC® Original Recipe Fried Chicken*
October 3, 2011
This recipe is for deep frying. If pressure frying, cooking time will be shortened to 12 to 14 minutes.

1 frying chicken cut into 8 pieces

Brine
8 cups water
1/3 cup salt
1 tablespoon MSG

6 to 10 cups soybean oil (vegetable oil)

Breading
9 ounces all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon MSG (monosodium glutamate)
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground tellicherry pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground savory
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground majoram
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garclic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Dredge
4 eggs
2 cups skim milk

1. Dissolve 1/3 cup salt and 1 tablespoon MSG in 8 cups water. Add chicken and marinate for 2 hours. Remove chicken from brine, rinse with water and blot dry.
2. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 300° F.
3. Make the breading by combining all ingredients in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then stir in the milk.
5. When the oil is hot, dip each piece of chicken in the egg and milk mixture and then press into the breading. Toss each chicken piece in the breading until well-coated, let chicken sit for 2 minutes in the breading, shake off the excess breading and fry 2 to 4 pieces at a time (or whatever your fryer can hold) for 18 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown. Drain chicken on a rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

TIDBITS

If you want to keep the chicken warm until it's all cooked, place the fried pieces on a rack on a baking sheet and keep them in your oven set to 200° F.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This sounds interesting. I just watched one of the videos, and it calls him a professional food hacker. I'll be watching. Thanks for the heads up.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cool recipe, Guts!

I love KFC, though I haven't had it in decades!

I have a foodie friend who is a lot more adventurous with deep-fried stuff than I am. I may give this a try, with her help!

Thanks!

Lee

Guts

Lee and Kitty. I think in this premier show they are going to make this chicken although I'm not sure but that was the impression I got the other day when I saw it on the news. I'm going to watch it. I have it marked for 9 PM Friday night

Last edited:

Guts

just a reminder, this is tonight and it says on my TV Guide. They will be doing that KFC chicken recipe on their premier broadcast 9 PM my time here on the West Coast

Guts

do any of you watch this? I think the key to making the KFC knockoff is the pressure cooker as Todd stated in the show. Lucky me. I just seem to have a stove top version for frying chicken. looks like I'm going to give it a try now. It was something that I inherited from my mother. the low pressure cooker was made by Presto here's a picture of the instruction manual. If you didn't see it in the pressure cooker thread.

The next show is going to be Cinnabon and the show after that is going to be the outback steakhouse blooming onion and sauce. I think I want to catch this Cinnabon episode at least. I've never had a blooming onion before so I might watch that episode too.if you look at the link you can also see the times that it re-airs.

Attachments

• hppscan1.jpg
    hppscan1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 896

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I saw part of it. I was grossed out when he went in that dumpster...ick. His first take on the chicken looked pretty good to me.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Didn't watch the program, but I did find this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVZgVvlhgvU[/ame]

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
do any of you watch this? I think the key to making the KFC knockoff is the pressure cooker as Todd stated in the show. Lucky me. I just seem to have a stove top version for frying chicken. looks like I'm going to give it a try now. It was something that I inherited from my mother. the low pressure cooker was made by Presto here's a picture of the instruction manual. If you didn't see it in the pressure cooker thread.
:thumb:... can't wait to see your chicken, Guts.

Guts

Cooksie I don't think they needed to show Todd jumping in the dumpster. They could've just said something about it. But on the other hand I will admit to looking in dumpsters behind restaurants to see what ingredients they are using. When I first got serious about making pizzas. I looked in several Italian restaurant dumpsters to see what brand of flour they were using. That's when I found out about restaurant supply houses. I will confess I have not looked in any dumpsters besides to throw something away in many years, but it is a good way to find out information about their product. I think you might be surprised how much information you can find out about a person going through their garbage. Not that I've gone through anyone's garbage but occasionally some trash will blow down the street from a neighbors house. I've seen bank statements, ATM receipts gas and electric bills and so on. I run most of my stuff through a shredder before he goes in my trash.

Sass that was the show I saw. I believe last Monday on Fox in the morning that's what got me started on this thread. I would like to try making this chicken. I just have to find some time. I've been working seven days a week. But when I do use that low pressure chicken fryer. I will post some pictures and tell you what I thought of it.

Guts

tonight's episode was Cinnabon. I'm sure it will re-air like the other one did, but if you want the recipe here is from Todd Wilbur.

[FONT=&quot]Todd Wilbur's Version of Cinnabon® Cinnamon Rolls[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]October 12, 2011[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I made several discoveries on my CMT show Top Secret Recipe that helped me design this improved recipe to mimic the taste and appearance of the world's best cinnamon rolls. The slightest amount of baking soda plus buttermilk gives the rolls a nice golden brown color. And the Makara cinnamon is the secret ingredient for the perfect filling (find Indonesian Korintje cinnamon). The dough must rise in your refrigerator for 6 hours, and the rolling and slicing steps are designed to follow Cinnabon's specifications. I've discovered that unsalted butter works better than margarine for the frosting, and the 10-minute high-speed whipping step is important for a fluffy finished product.

Rolls
24 ounces all-purpose flour
2.5 ounces sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon rapid rise yeast
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup water
1 tablespoon buttermilk
2.5 ounces margarine

Filling (Schmear)
4 ounces (1 stick) margarine, softened
14 ounces dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons Makara (Indonesian Korintje) cinnamon
1 tablespoon xantham gum or guar gum

Frosting
6 ounces unsalted butter
4 ounces cream cheese
6 ounces powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
2 drops lemon extract

1. Combine flour, sugar, salt, yeast and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix until combined.

2. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Whisk in water and buttermilk. Combine this wet mixture with the flour mixture, then add the margarine and beat with a paddle until all dry ingredients are moist. Use a kneading hook to knead the dough for 15 minutes. Wrap dough in plastic and place in your refrigerator for 5 to 6 hours or until dough doubles in size.

3. Remove the plastic and press dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten dough with your hands for a bit, then use a rolling pin to shape the dough into a 20-inch-high by 17-inch-wide rectangle. Use your hands to stretch the dough as necessary to the proper dimensions.

4. Spread 1 stick of softened margarine over the top of the dough, but leave the bottom 1 inch of dough uncoated with margarine.

5. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and xantham gum (or guar gum) in a medium bowl. Pour the cinnamon/sugar on the margarine and use your hands to spread it to the edges, except leave the bottom 1 inch uncovered with cinnamon. Run a rolling pin over the filling to flatten it in the margarine.

6. Roll the dough tightly starting at the top. Stretch the dough a little as you roll it down, so that you have 5 ½ to 6 rotations by the time you get to the bottom. Brush a little water over the bottom 1 inch uncoated strip of dough and complete the rolling. Mark the approximate middle of the dough roll, then use a ruler to make 3 marks every 2 ½ inches to the left of the middle mark and 3 marks every 2 ½ inches to the right of the middle mark. Use a serrated knife to cut at each mark to make 6 rolls (the ends can be tossed).

7. Place rolls evenly spaced out on parchment paper in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Place the pan in your oven along with a large bowl or pan full of boiling water. Rolls should proof for about 1 hour or until nearly full size in the pan.

8. When rolls have proofed to almost full size, preheat a convection oven to 325° (350° if not convection). Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until light brown and rolls register around 170° to 175° in the middle. Spin the pan around 180° approximately halfway through the baking.

9. While dough bakes, whip butter, cream cheese, salt, vanilla extract and lemon extract for 10 minutes on high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, then mix again (slowly at first, then on high speed), for 30 seconds.

10. When the rolls come out of the oven, immediately cover each with the frosting.

Makes 6 cinnamon rolls.[/FONT]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, he's making some of the very BEST commercial products!

I've never had a Cinnabon, but I, like thousands of other shoppers, swoon when I pass the store. I read somewhere that each one has approximately a billion calories. LOL!

And Outback's Bloomin' Onion is wonderful!

I'll try to remember to catch this show!

Lee

Guts

I thought I'd revive this thread with the outback steakhouse Bloomin onion. Here's Todd Wilbur's recipe;

Todd Wilbur's version of Outback Steakhouse® Bloomin' Onion
October 12, 2011
Although the recipe here makes only one clone of the Bloomin' Onion, the dipping sauce recipe makes more than enough sauce for that one onion. Because of the small amounts of some ingredients in the sauce, I had to design the recipe to yield a large portion so you'll have plenty left over. It will last for several months in your fridge for more Bloomin' Onion clones that you may make later, or you can use as a dip for other dishes or as a spicy hamburger spread. You should plan ahead for this dish since the onion will bloom better when stored in cold water in your refrigerator overnight.

Dipping Sauce
1 ½ cups mayonnaise
3 tablespoons cream style horseradish
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon Crystal Louisiana hot sauce
1 teaspoon paprika (McCormick brand works best)
1 ½ teaspoons sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon ground savory

1 colossal yellow onion (4 to 4 ½ inches across)
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
12 cups shortening

Breading
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 ¼ teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon ground savory

4 eggs
4 cups whole milk

Directions
1. Mix sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and chill for several hours or overnight. Uncover and stir occasionally.

2. Slice onion by cutting off approximately 1/3 of the stem end. Peel the skin from the onion, then place the onion on a cutting board with the cut side down.

3. To slice, use your thumb as a guide by placing it at the root of the onion, then slice straight down from your thumb to the bottom. Spin the onion around, and make another cut on the opposite side. Next, make a slice between each of the first two slices on both sides so now you have 4 slices. Now make a slice in the middle between each of the 4 slices, giving you 8 slices. Slice twice between each of the 8 slices and you will now have 24 total slices which is exactly the same number as the real thing. Turn the onion over and it will have bloomed. Submerge the onion in a bowl of cold water and place it in your refrigerator overnight. This will help the petals to separate and the onion will open up even more.

4. Open both ends of the tomato paste and empty the contents. Rinse the can, then use a file to sharpen one end of the can. This is your onion coring tool.

5. When you are ready to make your onion, preheat the shortening to 350°F. in a very deep fryer or Dutch oven.

6. Combine the breading ingredients in a very large bowl. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl, then add the milk.

7. Take the onion out of the water and shake off the water. Put the onion into the breading a cover with the breading, being sure to get the breading down between each "petal."

8. Shake off the excess breading, then gently lower the onion into the egg and milk mixture until it is completely moistened. Lift the onion out of the liquid and let the excess drip off. Place the onion back into the breading and thoroughly coat the onion. Let it sit in the breading for 5 minutes so that the breading sticks.

9. Turn the onion over, petals down, onto a spider and lower it gently into the oil. Tap on it a bit to get rid of the air bubbles and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until beginning to brown. Flip onion over and fry on the other side for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip onion over again with the spider and remove from the oil. This will allow the oil to drip out from between the "petals." Flip onion over once again onto serving plate.

10. Allow onion to cool for a minute or so, then press the sharpened end of tomato paste can down through the middle of the onion to core out the center.

11. Pour dipping sauce into a sauce cup, place it into the center of the onion and serve.

Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer.

homecook

I forgot to watch this show, doggone it! My son works at Outback and making the Bloomin Onion is one of his jobs. I'll have to have him take a look at this and see how close it comes to what he does.
Thanks for posting this Guts!

Guts

home cook
you can watch it online by clicking the link in the first post. If you like.
It would be interesting to see if you're son knows the recipe or if it is provided by the franchise to keep the secret of the recipe. If your son knows the recipe. By all means please post it. Thank you
Kim

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Love bloomin' onions! I actually bought one of those gadgets that cut the onion. It's been a while, but I remember it not being as good as Outback's. It's not easy to get the onion to open up just right and get all the petals covered.

Have to admit, when I read tomato paste in the list of ingredients, I thought to myself......man, he really missed the boat on this one :lol:.

homecook

home cook
you can watch it online by clicking the link in the first post. If you like.
It would be interesting to see if you're son knows the recipe or if it is provided by the franchise to keep the secret of the recipe. If your son knows the recipe. By all means please post it. Thank you
Kim

Thanks Guts. When my son gets home tonight we'll take a look at it. It should be interesting.....He makes them at home but I've never paid attention to what he does. lol

Didn't know he had a TV show. Ran into his copycat site awhile back, & there are some interesting recipes (from food-chain restaurants). I think he also has a book out re same. Sorry to bring it up, but just a word of caution, I would be careful about posting his recipes re copyright.

LETHAL GTS

I've been trying to find a recipe for chili sauce you smother burgers with.
A lot of the Greek restaurants up here serve it, but won't give up their recipe.
You know the stuff that doesn't have beans or tomatoes in it.
If someone has a recipe for that stuff I would be forever grateful!!
Thanks

Leni

Todd has a whose series of books out there. I have a few and will take a look to see if that chili is in it. You can buy the books through his web site or buy individual recipes. You should take a look there Letal GTS

LETHAL GTS

I think I got it!
I have found three recipes for Tommy's Famous Chili that are very close to the same ingredients of each other.
I will be a busy boy this weekend and my boys will be tired of chili burgers by Sunday night!!!
:cooking:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I don't think I've seen one, but I'll keep it in mind as I cruise around reading.

Thank you cooksie. I love that stuff and pour it over everything on my plate LOL I used to take a pint home to dip fresh steamed broccoli in. YUM