Let's Talk ... Slow Cooking

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Now that Fall is here we will be doing more dishes that warm the body and soul.

Please share your tips, techniques and secrets to success for slow cooking whether in a slowcooker, crockpot, dutch oven, oven or stove top.

Pictures and recipes are optional but always welcome.

slow_cooking_Lets_talk.jpg

Last edited:
First, & foremost, get to know your crock. Follow the manufacturer's directions - & don't go by cooking time in "recipes." Don't cook too long or add too much liquid.

Mostly, I use my pot for roasts, but you can convert recipes. You can make cassoulets (see Thomas Keller's cassoulet), steam artichokes, & stuffed cabbage:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19831

I posted a thread for rotisserie-style chicken, as well.

I made a brisket/pot roast this past weekend in the CP, cause I needed unattended cooking.

I studded the brisket w/ garlic cloves, put it in the pot, added dry mushroom onion soup & half a can of light beer. I then topped it w/ veggies - new potatoes, carrots, pearl onions, & brussels sprouts, & sprinkled Italian seasoning over the top. I set it on low for about 8 hours. Halfway through, I ladled the sauce over the veggies. The veggies were a little mushy, so next time I would add them toward the end of cooking time.

Think outside of the crock, & try new dishes, i.e. cioppino (sp) etc. Have fun with it.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That brisket pot roast sounds awesome CC. What cut of meat did you use?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This recipe sounds similar to one that was in the cook book that came with my first ever Rival crock pot.
Instead of serving it over rice, my kids then liked it over the crispy chinese noodles.

1 1/2 lb pork steak (cut into 1/2″ strips)
1 lg. onion, sliced
1 sm. green pepper, sliced
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 carrots, sliced
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

1. Brown pork strips in small amount of oil in skillet. Remove excess fat.

2. Place all ingredients with pork in crock pot and cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve with hot fluffy rice.

That brisket pot roast sounds awesome CC. What cut of meat did you use?

Chuck pot roast, bottom round, rump - $9.73 (@ $4.99 a pound).

Wanted to mention re the steamed artichokes - add a little chicken broth, lemon juice & garlic cloves to the bottom of the pot.

I have some recipes to try, i.e. tomato vodka soup, steamed (lime) salmon & bok choy or green beans, key lime wings, etc. You could adapt braciole, saltimboca, chicken parm, eggplant parm, & so on. Don't forget stuffed peppers & "baked" apples.

I'd love info re: doing whole artichokes in the crockpot. Can you point me in the thread direction? Did a search here but it came up zero.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This recipe sounds similar to one that was in the cook book that came with my first ever Rival crock pot.
Instead of serving it over rice, my kids then liked it over the crispy chinese noodles.

1 1/2 lb pork steak (cut into 1/2″ strips)
1 lg. onion, sliced
1 sm. green pepper, sliced
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 carrots, sliced
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

1. Brown pork strips in small amount of oil in skillet. Remove excess fat.

2. Place all ingredients with pork in crock pot and cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve with hot fluffy rice.

Hmmmm, pork steaks are on sale this week, too!

Lee

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I LOVE my crockpot! I make all sorts of things from soups, stews, roasts & even lasagne :)
I got the new Hamilton Beach pot last spring. It can be programmed any way you want, you can control the temp & the time plus it comes with an optional probe that will turn the unit off when your meat (roast/corned beef/chicken/tenderloin) reaches the desired temp that you program it to and will keep it warm for up to 12 hrs! It's my lifesaver for fall/winter

QuirkyCookery

I'm obsessed with my crockpots. Yes, more than one. As in, 3 (was 4, but broke one) and it's not uncommon for me to have more than one going at once.

Want a good tip? Set your crockpots outside on a table or cooler to keep down any heat in the kitchen if you're using it during the summer or are running multiple ones (it can really add up!).

^ That's actually an awesome tip for pregnant women who are made nauseous by certain smells. Toss things in a crockpot outside and they don't have to smell it all day (or at all), but food still gets prepared. :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Quirky, I've been disappointed with the higher heats of the newer crockpots. I loved the 10-hour on low crocks of the olden days.

I wonder if I put my crock outside in the winter, if it would slow down the cooking process so when I get home from work, the stuff isn't mush.

Lee

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I wore out my last cooker cooking so many pots of stew and bacon and green beans that i will be in the market for a new one very soon. :)

Carolina Cooking

'crock pot' is a brand. when I stopped buying 'crockpots' my slow cooker meals have been upgraded.

I to bought a Hamilton Beach, I thought Oh wth. its cheap & if it doesn't do a good job ,off the goodwill like the rest of the crockpots. Funny to, I gave my DD 3 of them, & she took them to the goodwill. :laugh:

This cheapy works great. I don't or eat swiss cut oatmeal anymore but It sure did a great job at it when I did.
I am a snob of sorts when it comes to brand name appliances, I am a firm believer in ,you get what you pay for. There are just brands I would never ever buy,this one may be a fluke who knows. After having so many crap appliances that I got rid of, I try to stick to the brands that I know are quality.
For now this one works just great ..

QuirkyCookery

Quirky, I've been disappointed with the higher heats of the newer crockpots. I loved the 10-hour on low crocks of the olden days.

I wonder if I put my crock outside in the winter, if it would slow down the cooking process so when I get home from work, the stuff isn't mush.

Lee

The newest one I bought actually ended up being a roaster pan cooker instead so I'm able to set the actual temperature, keep it as low as I want, and leave it on for that many hours a day without any problem.

And I bet it would! It's not going to slow it down too too much, I don't think, but maybe enough to slow it from getting to mush.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My wife made a crockpot meal yesterday (sorry for the crappy picture). She had added a very hot jalapeno pepper and its subtle bite in the aftertaste is very special. Happily, there are lots of leftovers.

Attachments

• SDC13416.jpg
    SDC13416.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 333

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh....that looks really good Buzz! I picked up some apples yesterday, I'm going to try making apple butter in the crock pot Monday.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
That looks fantastic Buzz. Will she share her recipe? Pretty please. YUMMY

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
My wife made a crockpot meal yesterday (sorry for the crappy picture). She had added a very hot jalapeno pepper and its subtle bite in the aftertaste is very special. Happily, there are lots of leftovers.

Nice Buzz! that looks really good! :readytoeat:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Now that Fall is here we will be doing more dishes that warm the body and soul.

Please share your tips, techniques and secrets to success for slow cooking whether in a slowcooker, crockpot, dutch oven, oven or stove top.

Pictures and recipes are optional but always welcome.

slow_cooking_Lets_talk.jpg

One of these times when you do the "let's talk," I'd like to talk sauces. Doesn't necessarily have to be next. Thanks :biggrin:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made apple butter a couple of weeks ago that turned out wonderfully. It made about 3 pints and they are already gone.

Attachments

• apple-butter-0.jpg
    apple-butter-0.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 292

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
One of these times when you do the "let's talk," I'd like to talk sauces. Doesn't necessarily have to be next. Thanks :biggrin:
Okay cooksie. Sauce and gravies?

Mama thank you for posting the link to the apple butter.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
there is already a section for slow cooking. Plus another one for sauces.

both of them have some really good recipes.
These threads are to discuss something specific not just for recipes. But it is nice when someone posts a link to a recipe. Which will take people to that recipe AND that forum where they can find other recipes they may like.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
there is already a section for slow cooking. Plus another one for sauces.

both of them have some really good recipes.

Thanks CC, I know about the forum for sauces, and you're right, some really good recipes. I just didn't know if Peeps had for gotten about this "lets talk," or if she had run out of ideas, or decided there just wasn't much interest, or whatever.

I made apple butter a couple of weeks ago that turned out wonderfully. It made about 3 pints and they are already gone.

Thanks Mama, those outdoor bread pictures of yours are fantastic.

Okay cooksie. Sauce and gravies?

Mama thank you for posting the link to the apple butter.

Sounds great!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
bumpity.gif

It's that time of year again. What is in your pot? Show me your soups, stews, pot roasts, chili etc.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
haven't used it yet this year- unless during summertime. the bartender gets her shredded beef 1st- i make her batches. i make thick stew (often thickened on the stove, tho). chili. chowders, as in corn/crab, & clam chowder.
here & there, i'll pre-cook slightly- namely meats/a few veggies- then crockpot my food, then, dinnertime!
i'll get k'bossy/kraut @ the 1 bar. they keep 3 crockpots of various foods goin' most days. if u get there early enough, dinner!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Last slow cooker meal was a smoked ham with cubed fresh potatoes and green beans. Let it simmer for hours and suck up the juices in the taters.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
bump-it-up.gif

Please post pictures and links to some of your wonderful slow cooker meals. I know Sass has made some nice slow cooker meals lately.

Last edited: