Tuesday 5/24/11, What will make it's way to your plate?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Not quite sure yet what dinner will be. Maybe a veggie stir fry and rice or bacon, eggs, fried potatoes and biscuits or rye toast.

Any plans?

I dusted off my wok-like pan/skillet to make...

Asparagus & garlic beef stir-fry with mushrooms & onions to go over rice or a noodle. Mandarin oranges for dessert.

Thanks, Peep. I pulled out a steak to defrost, looked in the fridge & the asparagus & veggies were looking back at me. I went to the pantry, & rice, noodles, garlic & a can of mandarin oranges looked like a good match.

After my wok bit the dust years ago, I picked up a deep wok-like (teflon-coated?) pan with a large wooden handle at Target. I had forgotten all about it. (I have a universal-sized lid, if I want to steam whatever.) Trying to eat healthier.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
When my tefal no stick flat bottom wok went I never replaced it. I use my 14" cast iron pan instead. I have a glass lid that fits so that works out fine.

K

Kimchee

Something with hamburger. That's what fell out of the freezer, and who am I to go against the Freezer Gods?????

Just not sure what it will become..............

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Well I am pretty sure it will be a veggie stir fry (broccoli, mushrooms, onion, green onion, carrot and fresh tomatoes sautéed in EVOO with fresh garlic) served over pasta.

Embryodad

Not quite sure yet what dinner will be. Maybe a veggie stir fry and rice or bacon, eggs, fried potatoes and biscuits or rye toast.

Any plans?
I know the feeling peep about having so many things on the mind to make, but not really deciding definetely at that moment.

I was contemplating Mommy coming home tonight, but she is coming home on thursday instead...
That leaves me with cooking for me / the way me likes / and not having to eliminate this and that in a recipe because someone doesn't like the feel or the looks of something.

I ventured into the Avalanch Freezer looking for the leftover ham slices from Easter, and I did find them, along with Fallout onto the floor of like 5 other items DW is saving for me to throw out when "freezer burn day" gets here! hahahaha

I guess just reheat the ham..or what I like is fry it chipped with lots of butter, and then black pepper it so much that it turns blackish....Ooooo On toast for sammies..good. And the best part is when the butter speckled with black pepper drips and oozes on my chin and between the webs of my fingers as I carefully take humongus bites so as not to have one sliver hit the floor or land on my chest.

I took out a loaf, or shall I say a frozen dough to bake fresh white bread.
Veggies may be some stewed tomatoes..havn't had them in a while.

Well....I better move my rump and get some work done around here..

See you and all later.
Lots of luck on your decision for supper.

Embryodad

Something with hamburger. That's what fell out of the freezer, and who am I to go against the Freezer Gods?????

Just not sure what it will become..............

OMG...I just went through that with the Avalanche freezer that is kept so neatly packed by the others in this houshold. :glare:

I called DW where she is staying, and asked her the dredded question,"Is That Ham in the Freezer still? and give me a clue as to where and what shelf and side?" ...She said,"Just open the freezer, and it's under the frozen peas,.....I think!"

Well here goes...it's in there..see where I'm pointing...right there!
ARrrrrrrrgggggggggg!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I won't even open the door for fear of A V A L A N C H E :corny:

e6251272.jpg

When my tefal no stick flat bottom wok went I never replaced it. I use my 14" cast iron pan instead. I have a glass lid that fits so that works out fine.

That's it! Tefal. Couldn't remember. Never did a stir-fry in cast iron. I have an indoor grill w/ a glass tempered lid I luv. It had a steaming ring for clams etc.

Leni

Looks like a lot of stir fry going on today. Dinner for us will be stuffed bell peppers with broccoli and fresh corn. Fresh strawberries for dessert or if I'm really ambitious a fresh strawberry pie.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
That's it! Tefal. Couldn't remember. Never did a stir-fry in cast iron. I have an indoor grill w/ a glass tempered lid I luv. It had a steaming ring for clams etc.
A non-stick anything can't get hot enough to really stir fry. And it really isn't wise to heat a non-stick pan that hot anyway unless it is one of the newer type that can withstand high heat. I still think cast iron is heavy enough to hold high heat needed to stir fry and I have had no probs.

Carolina Cooking

OMG Jimmy :yum::yum: what a train wreck ..

My outside chest freezer looks like that becuz it has no shelves . I hate the stupid thing, yet I am happy to have it.

:fridge:

Nancy-MD

LOL Jimmy! I was wondering why you called at Avalanche freezer - now I know! Hahaha!

At least y'all won't starve to death any time soon! Lots in there! Hahaha!

I spied those pierogies too! Yummo!

I'm fixing some frozen fish fillets tonight. I think maybe mac and cheese and coleslaw.

K

Kimchee

Embryodad...Jimmie?.... I keep a Detailed List of Freezer Contents on the door.
Drives me batty trying to dig around to find something, LOL!

And I was right... it's TACOS night!

Embryodad

i spy w/ my luv's 'lil eyez some pierogies!~:w00t2:

DidJa want thum?? Yu Cood Have Thum if ya want thum. they are the Mr's "T's" D O U G H B A L L I N T H E T U M M Y ..EEEEK!!!

Now what cha want...is Terrible Tina's Piraha's. :WitchBrewsSmiley:

I din't marry that Hungarian / German / Slovac / Scranton, PA Bred sweety for nuthin. Yeah?
She knows how to make the best Homemade Pierogi's ever.

And the finished ones gotta be laid out fer cookin, on the ironing board on clean towels.. hahahahaha.

BTW...I have to remind her we need to crank some more out soon.
I like the Saurkraut filled ones. Yummmmmm!

Out of her whole family...she is the only one (learning from her mother) that keeps up with tradition and makes all the Back Home Good Stuff!
Ya Know? Wow! I'm so lucky!

Embryodad

LOL Jimmy! I was wondering why you called at Avalanche freezer - now I know! Hahaha!

At least y'all won't starve to death any time soon! Lots in there! Hahaha!

I spied those pierogies too! Yummo!

I'm fixing some frozen fish fillets tonight. I think maybe mac and cheese and coleslaw.
That ain't the worst of it...you wanna see the food closets and cupboards..
Old Mother Hubbard Would Have a Baby if Shee seeen what Tina's Stash LQQKS Like!

I took some pics and have them someplace. I''l show y'all later...

Teenie Weenie Broke her Toesie Woesie one year, when a can of Yams (the big size one) fell out of the cupboard and onto her footsie wootsie.
Every Time she eats sweet yams or taters her toe throbs in sympathy! Poor Kid!

Embryodad

Embryodad...Jimmie?.... I keep a Detailed List of Freezer Contents on the door.
Drives me batty trying to dig around to find something, LOL!

And I was right... it's TACOS night!
Kimchee.... My freezer and refrigerator are the ones in the lower level in the utility room. It is packed neatly, and somewhat orderly according to beef / pork / chicken / etc.

The Norge - 1962 came with the house..is the spare reefer. Stll going and that is organized.

Then I have a wine refrigeration cooler that I replaced the Thermostat so I could use it for a refrigerator for foods / soda / milk / veggies etc.
The cooler was setable 53ºF to 65ºF for specifcally wine keeping. One of my daughters things when she was living here and working in a liquor store.
That one I have set at 37ºF with a 1º differential. Great for cold B E E R ...Glug Glug.

I take my speak and say dictograph recorder down there when I do a defrost, and I list phonetically all, the product. i keep it on the computer for all to see and to erase / delete / change..when adding or subtracting product...but no one else keeps that in practice...so I Gave Up doing that.

Now it's a Free For All...

And forget about locking the freezer door. They never lock it...yet they will yell to me when I'm down there..."Oh Hon...Would Ya Check and See if I locked the freezer?"

Geeeze...that irks me. Sometimes I wonder if they "Wipe When They're Done?"

Leni

Speaking of woks and how hot they should be, one of the people I worked with was from Taiwon. His parents had a very famous Chinese restraunt in Beverly Hills. When I got my beaten iron wok from China he told me to put it on the stove on high for at least ten minutes before starting to cook with it.

That was one of the benefits of working for the State. So many people from so many different countries. Our potlucks were fabulous! And I collected a lot of recipes.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Vegetable stir fry (broccoli, carrot, onion, green onion, bok choy, mushroom caps, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, fresh garlic and almonds seasoned with sea salt and ground peppercorns stir fried in peanut oil and thickened with cornstarch and chicken stock) and jasmine rice.

052411_veggie_stir_fry.jpg

Nancy-MD

Vegetable stir fry (broccoli, carrot, onion, green onion, bok choy, mushroom caps, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, fresh garlic and almonds seasoned with sea salt and ground peppercorns stir fried in peanut oil and thickened with cornstarch and chicken stock) and jasmine rice.

That looks delicious Peep!

Jimmy, I had to laugh that your freezers are now free for alls! Hahaha!

And you got that right - you are one lucky guy to have a girl like Tina!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Thank you Nan! But I wish I had a big bowl of mac and cheese!! :blob_blue:

Nancy-MD

I had an easy cooking time today, just baked some frozen fish fillets (but we happen to like them), mac and cheese, steamed green beans and broccoli slaw.

Attachments

• fish fillets 001.jpg
    fish fillets 001.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 94

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Beautiful Peepers!

Nancy, I haven't had those fish fillets in years...I used to really like those...I'm gonna have to pick some up the next time I'm at the store.

I spent most of the day working in the yard so I just made us ham sandwiches on my homemade honey wheat bread with some chips

Attachments

• dinner05242011.jpg
    dinner05242011.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 92

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Mama!

That sandwich looks awesome!! What a great pic of that beautiful bread and those red tomatoes!

Embryodad

Peep comes through again with a winner.

Yeah! Thanks...how about that? Huh? I'm reporting them to the Refrigerator Police..hahahahahaha