What's for dinner? Tuesday, September 1, 2009

chowhound

Chow, where can I find that recipe for Keltin's chicken dipping sauce ...Franks..or Buffalo wing sauce...BTW how many buffalo's do you know that have wings??:tiphat:
wilson:flowers:....the boat's sinking!

Frank's hot sauce is simply a cayenne pepper (red) hot sauce. And the Buffalo version is a 1:1 ratio of the hot sauce to butter. There are lots of different brands of hot sauce here that are pretty similar. Louisiana hot sauce is one that comes to mind right away. You must have something there that is similar. No?

High Cheese

Saucier
:hide:

WC.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
nice job, k and cooksie.

only 9, cheeks? lol.

dw ended up making a roast chicken, string beans, and nuked spuds last night before the meeting at the school.

i think she would have bitten my head off and spit it out the window if i asked her to wait until i took a picture, lol. she was nervous about school and getting there on time.

High Cheese

Saucier

only 9, cheeks? lol.

Oh, my bad. I forgot to mention, this was after dinner. :whistling: Dinner was grilled chicken thighs, zucs and squash. We saw Harold and Kumar the other night and the DW never been there sooo....

You should have seen her face when I ordered 12 cheeseburgers then turned to her and said "What are you having?" :yum:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Chicken and Dumplings

Dumplings - Rolled and ready for the broth:

3880766483_608fc903c4.jpg

Bowled and ready for the mouth:

3880763925_11d5aa6b3a.jpg
looks sooooooooooooooo yummy!! so whats the ingredients for the dumplings? i can probably throw something together with a few trys. i have never made dumplings. yours look good. :unsure:

buckytom

Grill Master
Oh, my bad. I forgot to mention, this was after dinner. :whistling: Dinner was grilled chicken thighs, zucs and squash. We saw Harold and Kumar the other night and the DW never been there sooo....

You should have seen her face when I ordered 12 cheeseburgers then turned to her and said "What are you having?" :yum:

have you had the clam strips or the pulled pork? the clam strips are really good. the pork is ok. the bbq sauce is a little too much and too salty for me.

lately, i've been eating the jalapeno cheeseburgers and bacon cheeseburgers. i'm get ashamed between each delicious bite.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

:yum:
i like to put 1 onion ring on my cheese castles. we sometimes have them for late breakfast/early lunch after hub gets home from working night shift. i can only eat 2 maybe 3. i love them with steamed onions, cheese, pickles and ketchup. man when i first ate castles was in the mid 60's and it was still a drive-in with the girl in the skates and the tray that hooked on the window. and the price was 10 cents for burgers and 15 cents for cheeseburgers. :shock:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks Chow and BT :).

lilbopeep - I had a Euro Pro toaster oven that I bought from Lowe's. It only lasted for about 4 or 5 years, but we used it a lot.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Frank's hot sauce is simply a cayenne pepper (red) hot sauce. And the Buffalo version is a 1:1 ratio of the hot sauce to butter. There are lots of different brands of hot sauce here that are pretty similar. Louisiana hot sauce is one that comes to mind right away. You must have something there that is similar. No?
i use Louisiana hot sauce.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks Chow and BT :).

lilbopeep - I had a Euro Pro toaster oven that I bought from Lowe's. It only lasted for about 4 or 5 years, but we used it a lot.
so it worked but didn't last very long. would you recommend it? i am thinking of getting that west bend.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
so it worked but didn't last very long. would you recommend it? i am thinking of getting that west bend.

It worked just fine while it worked. I just didn't think it lasted long enough, so I wouldn't buy another one. The element burned out.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
looks sooooooooooooooo yummy!! so whats the ingredients for the dumplings? i can probably throw something together with a few trys. i have never made dumplings. yours look good. :unsure:

flour
black pepper
baking powder
Crisco (sometimes I use butter)
Broth from the boiled chicken

High Cheese

Saucier
have you had the clam strips or the pulled pork? the clam strips are really good. the pork is ok. the bbq sauce is a little too much and too salty for me.

lately, i've been eating the jalapeno cheeseburgers and bacon cheeseburgers. i'm get ashamed between each delicious bite.

:yum:
i like to put 1 onion ring on my cheese castles. we sometimes have them for late breakfast/early lunch after hub gets home from working night shift. i can only eat 2 maybe 3. i love them with steamed onions, cheese, pickles and ketchup. man when i first ate castles was in the mid 60's and it was still a drive-in with the girl in the skates and the tray that hooked on the window. and the price was 10 cents for burgers and 15 cents for cheeseburgers. :shock:

That was my first time there in over 10 years....maybe 15. I only ate the hamburgers or cheeseburgers and fries. The DW could only down one double CB...I LOL'd at her. :mrgreen: I had 6 done and the fries eaten before we got home. Had WC boxes all over the console. DW was like "WTF?" ... I was like "What? I'm not waiting till we get home!" On an empty stomach I could down 15-20 with fries.

I had some Burger King last week, tried out one of those Angry Chicken sammies. Was actually pretty good. Shoulda left it at that but I "had to have" a whopper too.

I'm such a pig. :unsure:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
flour
black pepper
baking powder
Crisco (sometimes I use butter)
Broth from the boiled chicken

thank you sweetie!! so a basic baking powder biscuit with broth instead of milk. no salt because it is in the broth right? do you add less liquid because they are boiled? and cooked in broth with chicken, not baked. any veggies added to the chicken and broth? (i use 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco butter flavored shortening for my biscuits and a pinch of baking soda and wheat germ) cool!!

you are welcome the finished dumplings look so good.

homecook

That was my first time there in over 10 years....maybe 15. I only ate the hamburgers or cheeseburgers and fries. The DW could only down one double CB...I LOL'd at her. :mrgreen: I had 6 done and the fries eaten before we got home. Had WC boxes all over the console. DW was like "WTF?" ... I was like "What? I'm not waiting till we get home!" On an empty stomach I could down 15-20 with fries.

I had some Burger King last week, tried out one of those Angry Chicken sammies. Was actually pretty good. Shoulda left it at that but I "had to have" a whopper too.

I'm such a pig. :unsure:

LOL........DH and I would each get our own 12!! With fries too........1/2 hamburger, 1/2 cheeseburgers. :ermm:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
They're small........2-3 bites and it's gone! :whistling:

2-3 bites? geez, I assumed everyone did what I do, cram the whole thing in at once.:yum: j/k lol

Actually it's been a while since I've had a White Castle cheeseburger, 3 years ago I am thinking in downtown Indy, and it wasn't 1.. it was more like 6 to equal enough of that meaty/cheesy/oniony loveliness to satisfy my tum tum.
Now I am craving them hrmmph!

homecook

2-3 bites? geez, I assumed everyone did what I do, cram the whole thing in at once.:yum: j/k lol

Actually it's been a while since I've had a White Castle cheeseburger, 3 years ago I am thinking in downtown Indy, and it wasn't 1.. it was more like 6 to equal enough of that meaty/cheesy/oniony loveliness to satisfy my tum tum.

I was trying to be polite!! :ohmy: The first 6 go down smooth!! It's the last six that get the 2-3 bites. :yum::wink:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

the really strange thing is that they ALWAYS smell the same from the minute you first smell and eat it till it works its way thru and out in all it's many forms (i am trying not to be to graphic/gross here but i am SURE you all know what i mean). :whistling:

chowhound

thank you sweetie!! so a basic baking powder biscuit with broth instead of milk. no salt because it is in the broth right? do you add less liquid because they are boiled? and cooked in broth with chicken, not baked. any veggies added to the chicken and broth? (i use 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco butter flavored shortening for my biscuits and a pinch of baking soda and wheat germ) cool!!

you are welcome the finished dumplings look so good.

Here's a recipe I use:
1c flour
a couple pinches salt
1TBS butter
season with thyme and poultry seasoning. I don't skimp here. because I like poultry seasoning.
6TBS hot water

Mix dry ingredients
add butter and mix
Add water and mix until doughlike
Wrap in plastic wrap for 10-15 minutes
Unwrap, set on a floured board, sprinkle more flour on top, roll thin, cut into squares with a pizza cutter, drop into boiling soup until done.

All the flour will thicken the soup some.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Here's a recipe I use:
1c flour
a couple pinches salt
1TBS butter
season with thyme and poultry seasoning. I don't skimp here. because I like poultry seasoning.
6TBS hot water

Mix dry ingredients
add butter and mix
Add water and mix until doughlike
Wrap in plastic wrap for 10-15 minutes
Unwrap, set on a floured board, sprinkle more flour on top, roll thin, cut into squares with a pizza cutter, drop into boiling soup until done.

All the flour will thicken the soup some.
so it doesn't matter if butter is soft becuase the hot water will melt it and no leavening?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We don’t have a White Castle here, but we have Krystals. I love those things. We get a craving for them every 2 months or so. We get a sack of 10, split to 5 burgers and 5 cheeseburgers. If we’re really feeling like pigging out, we add a couple of Chili Cheese Pups, a few Krystal Chicks, and some Chili Cheese fries.

I really think microwaves were made for Krystal burgers. About 10-15 seconds, and the burger comes out just as hot and fresh as when you bought it. It’s magic! :lol:

Last edited: