Clams & Mussels

High Cheese

Saucier
Clean your shellfish accordingly.

Lightly saute 1-2 sliced shallots in evvo inside a sauce pan or small stock pot. Add the clams, mussels, 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme or tarragon, 1 1/2 cups dry white wine, 2 cloves of minced garlic, black pepper, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes and the juice from 1/2 a lemon.

Cover and cook until the shells open. About 10 minutes. Discard the ones that dont open. The mussels will cook first, so pull them out when done or add them 2-3 mimnutes after the clams.

Clams019.jpg

Some toast for the sauce.

Clams021.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Hmm.. Yum! So what is wrong with the ones that don't open? Too stubborn to open or something makes them bad?

chowhound

Not opening means they were dead before you started cooking them. Toss em or you'll be tossing a lot more if you pry them open and eat them.

buckytom

Grill Master
searching old threads, i found one that fits recent cravings.

nice recipe, cheeks, copied and saved, thanks.

i find it interesting that you sautee the shallots, but more or less use the full sulpher of garlic. i would have done the oppposite.

i jave a bunch of lemon thyme growing that would fit this perfectly.

and lll is dead on; you can't serve this without crusty bread.

High Cheese

Saucier
i find it interesting that you sautee the shallots, but more or less use the full sulpher of garlic. i would have done the oppposite.

Since the garlic is minced it mellows out while the clams are cooking. If I sliced the garlic, which I've done before, I add it first.

Try it with sliced chorizo or hot italian sausage.

Is that a glass of vodka next to that gorgeous bowl??

Probobly...with some tonic. ;)