Can we talk about rice?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
As I posted, I have just lost a lot of weight.

Now to maintenance. I avoided rice / potatoes / pasta, etc. on my diet.

Now I can add a bit, but not too much.

In hops that some of you are more nutritionally savvy that I am, what would you substitute for rice in..... Say stuffed peppers, goulash or some kind of a dish over rice, or am I safe?

Thank You

Andy

Leni

Brown rice is much better for you than white. Barley might also be a substutite. Have you tried quioana? I know I'm spelling it wrong. Important that you limit the amount.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Quinoa is definitely lower on the glycemic index than rice, and probably most carbs.

It's good in a lot of dishes!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Whaz is this Quinoa? I do not think I have heard of it before.

I want to be careful not to screw this up. LOL The nurse weighed me twice, because, she did not believe that I lost as much as I have in the time I did. I got a "WOW!!!" out of the doctor. He uttered the words "You have cured your diabetes." I am ecstatic.

PanchoHambre

Quinoa is a seed - ancient American - along with Amaranth - relative of that pigweed that is everywhere - it is good stuff and pretty versatile - has a better nutritional profile than most grains pretty neutral taste so you can match it in cuisines. The seed holds together nicely and remains more separate than rice - I like to cook with it but have not "figured it out" entirely yet. Makes great cold salads (think cous cous substitute) and with some adjustments can be used in place of pasta or rice in most dishes.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
brown rice is a healthy pick, & u'll stay satieated. barley too. bulgur wheat is an excellent swap.

PanchoHambre

after looking at Qsis post i will add quinoa is also really pretty - translucent and with those little tails - the tri color kind is really cool looking

Cooksie

Site Supporter
A lot of the low-carbers use cauliflower as a sub for rice. Here's a Chinese Fried "Rice" recipe:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/chinese_fried_rice.html

10 ounces fresh cauliflower, 1/2 medium head
Cooking oil
3 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
Dash ginger, optional
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Few drops sesame oil, to taste
1-2 cups pork, chicken, beef, ham or shrimp, diced
3 eggs, beaten

Per 1/4 recipe: 207 Calories; 7g Fat; 29g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 recipe: 138 Calories; 5g Fat; 19g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

I bet you could sub the cauliflower for rice in stuffed peppers too.

Instead of regular pasta, you might want to try soba noodles. I don't know how low carb you're trying to stay. Better check the sodium too.

One cup soba noodles – 113 calories, 0.11g fat, 24.4g carb’s
One cup of quinoa – 222 calories, 4 g fat, 39g carb’s, 5g fiber
I just so happen to be having soba noodles for lunch today. I looked at the back of the pkt and the Ka-Me brand nutrition info is a little different that the info listed above, so I don't know which is right. I got the info for the soba noodles and quinoa from the internet somewhere, and you can't put anything that's not true on the internet. Right, :yum: I have a date with a French model that I met on the internet too.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I'm just wondering how lentils would work in that sort of mix. Otherwise, I would go with quinona?, pearl barley and the like. Maybe you could try wild rice as well.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my friend gets tofu noodles often. they're very, very low in both carbs & calories. they could be swapped fer quite a few items. they're packed in h2o, in vacuum-paks of sorts, & in the fridge section.
could slice them into teensy pieces to make a rice shape.

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

buckwheat (soba) noodles are a good substitute for pasta in some dishes, i find it hard for myself to avoid white pasta though

Shermie

Site Supporter
As I posted, I have just lost a lot of weight.

Now to maintenance. I avoided rice / potatoes / pasta, etc. on my diet.

Now I can add a bit, but not too much.

In hops that some of you are more nutritionally savvy that I am, what would you substitute for rice in..... Say stuffed peppers, goulash or some kind of a dish over rice, or am I safe?

Thank You

Andy

Bread, maybe?

I can't avoid rice, potatoes, bread or pasta from my diet because I need some starch to help balance out the insuficient amount of insulin that the pancreas puts out.

I'm a Type 2 diabetic. if i eliminate starch altogether, i6t would be too dangerous for me!! :sorry:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
cooksie said:
I have a date with a French model that I met on the internet too.

LOL - I love that commercial.

I was talking about this on one of my service calls a couple days ago. I went back to that site yesterday and one fo the people there presented me with a bag of Farrow. Since it is now on my counter, I am going to look it up.

Cooksie - I am not going to be fanatical about it. I love a good carb, I just need more of a reason to have one now.

Loosing significant weight is nothing more than a head trip and a test of how much in control of yourself you are. Maintaining takes a long term constant life style change.

This thread has also introduced me to quite a few new tastes and things to try, which is great! I love variety.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Sherm - I don't know what to say there. I got into this because I was told that I had type 2 diabetes. I did what I did and last week my doctor said "You have cured your diabetes".

I would never advocate anyone going against their doctor's advice. Everyone is different. I just know that I do not want to go there ever again and if I screw this up it could happen. I have had two excellent checkups from two doctors in the last month. It seems to be working in my case.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherm - I don't know what to say there. I got into this because I was told that I had type 2 diabetes. I did what I did and last week my doctor said "You have cured your diabetes".

I would never advocate anyone going against their doctor's advice. Everyone is different. I just know that I do not want to go there ever again and if I screw this up it could happen. I have had two excellent checkups from two doctors in the last month. It seems to be working in my case.

I was first diagnosed with it in '06. It runs in my family. My mom had it, but at the time, she didn't know about it because she was in a coma from her 3rd & last stroke that she had.

Two or more of my siblings had it. My brother who died had it, but he would have been alive today if only he would have taken his meds, checked his glucose level, ate right and curbed his alcoholism! He was only 43! He would have been 52 the 1st of the month!

My glucose level was very high then. Then it switched gears and went in the other direction as being too low.

If I wait too long between meals to eat, then I start to go into a hypoglycemic attack! It is not very pretty!

The other day after seeing the nutritionist at the hospital, I went into one. I should have gone to the food court near there to get a sandwich or something. Stupid mistake!!!

Luckily, I was able to get a candy bar and a Coke!! After having that, things began to calm down.

I forgot to take a few Tootsie Roll Pops, which I normally carry with me when I'm out and away from the house and restaurants, just in case an attack starts to happen.

I will NEVER leave the house without them again!!! :ohmy:

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
LOL - I love that commercial.

I was talking about this on one of my service calls a couple days ago. I went back to that site yesterday and one fo the people there presented me with a bag of Farrow. Since it is now on my counter, I am going to look it up.

Cooksie - I am not going to be fanatical about it. I love a good carb, I just need more of a reason to have one now.

Loosing significant weight is nothing more than a head trip and a test of how much in control of yourself you are. Maintaining takes a long term constant life style change.

This thread has also introduced me to quite a few new tastes and things to try, which is great! I love variety.
Farro is another high protein grain like quinoa. Very healthy. Sort of like wheat berries.