Peep's Pot Roast Vegetable Barley Soup

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

This is a quick and easy way to use up left over pot roast and it's au jus/gravy. I didn't realize I was out of fresh red potatoes so I used a can of sliced potatoes. The only thing I had to cook was the barley. There was only 2 slices of pot roast left over which was to little for another meal and a quart of au jus. So it was perfect for soup. Bottom round roast was on sale so I have another in the freezer and I will be making this again.

Amounts depend on how much soup you want to make

Left over beef pot roast; chopped
Leftover pot roast braising liquid (mine was beefy onion soup mix, red wine, sliced mushrooms, ground pepper, water and gravy master)
Beef stock
Frozen mixed vegetables
Potatoes; chopped bite size
Fresh tomato; chopped
Cooked Barley

Add everything BUT the barley to a pot and simmer till potato is tender and tomato breaks down a bit.
Add barley stir and serve.

picture.php

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmMMMMMM!!!

This was my mother's favorite soup to make, and she made a LOT of it!

Yours looks wonderful, Peep! I am looking forward to going back to soup for lunch this fall!

Lee

Embryodad

This is a quick and easy way to use up left over pot roast and it's au jus/gravy. I didn't realize I was out of fresh red potatoes so I used a can of sliced potatoes. The only thing I had to cook was the barley. There was only 2 slices of pot roast left over which was to little for another meal and a quart of au jus. So it was perfect for soup. Bottom round roast was on sale so I have another in the freezer and I will be making this again.

Leftover pot roast braising liquid (mine was beefy onion soup mix, red wine, sliced mushrooms, ground pepper, water and gravy master)
Beef stock
Frozen mixed vegetables
Fresh tomato; chopped
Cooked Barley

Add everything BUT the barley to a pot and simmer till potato is tender and tomato breaks down a bit.

picture.php
OOoooo! Everything so nicely cut and bite size!
That's the way I like / make soup.

I cook the barley first like you do peep...DW doesn't. She throws it in the soup as soon as it starts to cook. Thickens the soup. Stew I like thick, but not beef soup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim54

Beef stock
Frozen mixed vegetables
Fresh tomato; chopped
Cooked Barley

picture.php

I certainly "recycle" many dishes. This looks like a keeper :)

Last edited by a moderator: