Pork Chops with Onion Marmalade

FryBoy

Made this for dinner tonight. It combines several of the best things on Earth: pork, onions, rosemary, and balsamic vinegar.

Pork Chops with Onion Marmalade

4 inch-thick boneless pork loin chops
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed in mortar & pestle
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
½ cup water
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup red currant jelly

Trim most of fat from chops, pat dry, and sprinkle evenly on both sides with rosemary, salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, brown chops, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.

Add onions to fat remaining in skillet and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes.

Add water, vinegar, and jelly and bring to a boil, stirring, until jelly melts.

Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until onions are very tender, about 25 minutes.

Return pork and juices to skillet. Cover and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until thermometer inserted horizontally into a chop registers 145°F and almost all of liquid has evaporated, about 12 minutes (if juices evaporate, add 1 or 2 tablespoons water to skillet to keep onions from sticking).

Remove from heat, partially cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.

Serve chops with onions.

Brown chops:

505440655_rVWEh-L.jpg

Brown Onions:

505440932_JZ5QU-L.jpg

Cook chops with onions and sauce:

505441286_u82kR-L.jpg

Serve:

505441593_GmQQN-L.jpg

OINK!

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks fryboy! man does that look good. plain ol' chops can be boring and dry. the sauce will match perfectly, and is relatively healthy so i think dw will eat it.

i will be making this next week, i'm sure. in fact, i have some pork sirloin steaks that were looking for a recipe. :a1:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
DANG!!! :w00t:

That looks incredible! Thanks for the pics! I've got to try this!!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Right, redcurrent jelly on the shopping list. This is one I want to do.

FryBoy

The only other time I recall using red currant jelly was years ago to make low-brow hors d'oeuvres -- cocktail weenies in a sauce consisting of 1 small jar of French's Yellow Mustard and 1 small jar of current jelly, heated. Great stuff if you like hot dogs.