What's Cooking NCT Sun. 1/17/16 to Sat. 1/23/16?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Tonight will be meatloaf with mashed taters (I may mash and put in little pots topped with cheddar and baked in oven till melted and browned) and carrots OR Swedish meatballs with buttered egg noodles and carrots. To be decided later.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Haven't posted here in awhile, so I have some catching up to do. Mama is visiting her sister in Florida for the long weekend, so I get the kitchen all to myself. After dropping her at the airport on Friday night, I went to pickup a pressure cooker that a friend didn't want. She bought it brand new a few years ago, but was scared to use it because of the horror stories she had heard. She bought an electric Pressure Pot, which is pretty much a no-brainier for pressure cooking. I didn't argue or try to educate her, but just took it home and did a happy dance in the kitchen. :blob_blue:

image_5.jpeg

On Saturday I got out the pressure cooker and made squirrel stew for me, my brother and a friend. It did a good job of tenderizing the squirrel, while making a nice stock for the stew. Also made fresh egg bread to go along with it. Big hit, and no prisoners were left behind.

image_4.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

After lunch I made chicken soup from some dated chicken in the freezer. Start to finish was 40 minutes from frozen parts. Love my new pressure cooker!

image_6.jpeg

Got up this morning and made sandwich thins for the next two weeks, with a couple of mini loaves from the leftover dough.

image.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe!!! Welcome back - I've really missed your contribution here!

You have been busy, my friend! Everything looks delicious!

Have fun with your new toy!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Mini meatloaves (Sriracha ketchup added to meat mixture) glazed (ketchup and brown sugar) with gravy, mashed taters with shredded cheddar and steamed carrots.

Sriracha ketchup (nice and spicy, so glad I picked it up)

Sriracha_ketchup.jpg

Mashed tatters before baking

011716_mini_mashed_taters_cheddar_cheese_P1090932.jpg

Dinner served

011716_mini_mashed_meatloaf_glazed_P1090939.jpg

homecook

Spaghetti and meatballs, salad and homemade garlic/herb breadsticks.

Attachments

• 102_5141.JPG
    102_5141.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 239

Saliha

Shark fin melon (I still have 5 left) soup with ground beef, chick peas and vegetables.

px2dEg0.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I was going to make some lazy way cabbage rolls tonight, but I checked this morning and don't have any tomato juice. I might just wing it without and see what I come out with.

Those are cute little pots, Peep.

Johnny West

JoeV, your squirrel stew looks excellent. There are two in my back yard I'd like to give that treatment but in this state squirrels are protected because of the rare western grey squirrel being endangered.

I like the sound of cabbage rolls; there are some in the freezer and will put them in the crock pot with last night's veg soup to cover.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
JoeV, your squirrel stew looks excellent. There are two in my back yard I'd like to give that treatment but in this state squirrels are protected because of the rare western grey squirrel being endangered.

I like the sound of cabbage rolls; there are some in the freezer and will put them in the crock pot with last night's veg soup to cover.

Where I hunt squirrel it's not unusual to see red, fox, grey and black squirrels all in the same day. There's even a black squirrel with a fox squirrel brown tail,that raids my brothers bird feeder on his farm.

Pressure cooker dinner again today. I cooked a 5# chicken in the PC, then dismantled it all and made 8 quarts of chicken-n-rice soup by cooking down the bones from the carcass and pan juices in the PC. All the white meat went into the soup. Then took all the remaining meat and made Chiken Chili. It was also made in the PC, and was eaten for dinner. There's enough leftover chili for two more meals that are in the freezer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 215

homecook

I made beef and broccoli with rice in my pressure cooker tonight. I'll be taking it to work tonight for my dinner.....

Attachments

• 102_5156.JPG
    102_5156.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 231

Johnny West

Last night veg soup and golumpki was good and will have more for lunch.

Maybe tonight I can get around to doing breakfast for dinner? I have some bacon needs frying up. :wub:

Johnny West

Where I hunt squirrel it's not unusual to see red, fox, grey and black squirrels all in the same day. There's even a black squirrel with a fox squirrel brown tail,that raids my brothers bird feeder on his farm.

My paternal grandparents lived in Rock Island and had black squirrels in their yard. when I lived and worked in Rock Island I hunted squirrels all over but could never find a black one to shoot. I was going to have it mounted. I've not seen a black squirrel in Iowa but that's not saying they aren't there in the quad cities arera. I've not seriously hunted squirresl since 78 but have taken a few incidental to pheasant hunting.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I was going to make some lazy way cabbage rolls tonight, but I checked this morning and don't have any tomato juice. I might just wing it without and see what I come out with.

Those are cute little pots, Peep.

Amazon > search Cuisinart Mini Dutch Ovens

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Tonight should be breaded thin sliced chicken breast, steamed broccoli and potatoes (either mashed or fried with mushrooms and onions) maybe gravy.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i picked my way through salad & cheeses. cherry preserves for my brie & squeaky cheese, d/w cheese, & grainy inglehoffer 4 my deli meat.

salad w/ bleu & chick-o-stix.
think i'll soon make a few p'rogies. w/ milk. strawberry.

Last edited:

Johnny West

Squeeky cheese - cheese curds? I luv them! :D

I've got no clue what's on the menu tonight and will have to gvie the freezer a look. Enchilada's?

:margarita:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sausage stuffed zucchini and a salad will be my dinner tonight.....

Wow, I swear I didn't see this before I went shopping on Thursday night to get zucchinis for stuffed boats, Barb! You and I are simpatico, I think! :wub:

The ones I found were too mini to stuff, so I got an eggplant and an acorn squash and stuffed them with a ground turkey taco filling. Hit the spot!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Tonight will be Swedish meatballs if I get home in time. If not it will be Star brand cheese raviolis.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Snow storm coming tomorrow. I think I will make cinnamon rolls and French bread (I have a double French bread/baguette pan I want to try out).

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Celebrating our son's 30th tomorrow. He requested eggplant Parmesan and s'ghetti, so I made all the eggplant yesterday and have it in the freezer, ready to go tomorrow. Made sandwich for eldest DD, and a couple of baguettes for tomorrow's dinner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 187

homecook

Wow, I swear I didn't see this before I went shopping on Thursday night to get zucchinis for stuffed boats, Barb! You and I are simpatico, I think! :wub:

The ones I found were too mini to stuff, so I got an eggplant and an acorn squash and stuffed them with a ground turkey taco filling. Hit the spot!

Lee

:thumb: I had to look long and hard to find zucchini large enough. lol I'm going to have to try the taco filling next. Sounds great!

http://netcookingtalk.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We're in the middle of a blizzard. Nasty out there. I have dough going for cinnamon buns. When that's done I will start more dough for French bread.
Dinner will be Swedish meatballs, egg noodles and carrots as requested by DD. UNLESS I can talk her into chili which I love to make during snow storms.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Celebrated DS's birthday today. I made eggplant Parmesan, spaghetti it's marinarasalad and homemade bread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 226