Grilled Meatballs for Spaghetti

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Made Spaghetti and meatballs tonight. I had some Pork Steaks that I wanted to use up, but didn’t want to have hunks of pork meat again. So I trimmed the fat, cut the meat into chunks, and then put it in the food processor with Cajun Seasoning and Italian Herbs. Ground it up fine.

I mixed the fresh ground pork with ground hamburger meat and then made meatballs. Using the Smokey Joe (small Weber Charcoal Grill) and 15 coals, I made a small fire (low heat) and loaded it with wood. I placed the meatballs on the outside ring for smoke, then moved to center to finish and brown. Once done, they went in the pot and added incredible flavor to the sauce. The smoke flavor really comes through. What a treat.

Basic Ingredients for Meatballs

1 lb Ground Pork
3/4 lb Ground Beef
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp salt

Mix it all and then pinch a bit off and roll between your hands to make meatballs. Grill, bake, or broil the meatballs and then add to your favorite sauce.

-------------- Here is the pictorial. --------------

Grind the pork fine with seasonings.
Step_1-3.jpg

Add Hamburger meat, remaining seasonings, and make meatballs.
Step_2-3.jpg

Step_3-2.jpg

Grill the meatballs.
Step_4-1.jpg

Step_5.jpg

Once they are done, bring them in and add to your sauce.
Step_6.jpg

Step_7.jpg

Step_8.jpg

Plate it with noodles. We like Angel Hair Pasta. (Green Can Approved!)
Step_9.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Got me, and I'm not gonna Google...yet! What's a Moink Ball. Sounds like something Jackie Chan would have kicked a few times!! :yum:

lol

moink balls are either frozen pre-cooked meatballs from a pkg,(fresh can be used), wrapped in bacon, stick a toothpick through it...smoke until bacon is fairly crispy. coat with your favorite sauce or not, up to you.

moink1.jpg

chowhound

Hey, how did I miss this thread...
Nice meataballas, Keltin. I'll bet that adds a great taste to the sauce.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I used some hickory for this, and it adds a very noticeable smokey flavor that permeates the entire sauce. If you aren't accustomed to that smokey taste, then you may want to skip adding the wood. It might freak some people out to have a big bite of spaghetti and then get hit with that hickory smoke flavor. When I grill meatballs on the gas grill, there is no smokey taste, but it does add a nice grilled flavor to the sauce.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I don't think I saw this thread before, either! Great looking grilled meatballs, Keltin!

And I love the moink balls for an easy appetizer idea, Jeff!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I did this again. This time I used some trimmings from a rack of pork spare ribs. I cut the small bones out, then ground the meat (in the food processor) with a bit of olive oil and Italian Seasoning.

I then made the meatballs. I also had 3 left over Italian Sausages (chicken) from another cook. I grilled all the meat and then put it in the sauce. Notice the use of the Fine China in these pics. :lol:

Step_1-58.jpg

Step_2-57.jpg

Step_3-50.jpg

Step_4-45.jpg

Step_5-38.jpg

Step_6-33.jpg

Step_7-25.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
LOL i use "fine" dixie brand paper china with the lovely blue swirl!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
How does the smoke flavour alter the original taste of your sauce? Does the smoke flavour linger? As with smoked turkey or smoked cheeses, the smokieness lingers even after you've swallowed.. Yet a marinara sauce is hearty enough on it's own. Can you distinguish the new flavour?

Your plate looks wonderful and I really like the fire pictures.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
How does the smoke flavour alter the original taste of your sauce? Does the smoke flavour linger? As with smoked turkey or smoked cheeses, the smokieness lingers even after you've swallowed.. Yet a marinara sauce is hearty enough on it's own. Can you distinguish the new flavour?

Your plate looks wonderful and I really like the fire pictures.

If you use wood like I did the first time, then the smoke flavor is strong and does linger after you swallow. In fact, with leftovers, when you open the container, the first thing that hits you is the smokey aroma.

Now, if you only grill it like I did this last time, the grilled/smoke flavor is very subtle and the flavor of the sauce is the predominant taste.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow Keltin, those look GREAT!!!!! I missed this thread first time around ...so I'm glad I caught it today. 1st I'll try it without the wood, and see how that goes. :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow Keltin, those look GREAT!!!!! I missed this thread first time around ...so I'm glad I caught it today. 1st I'll try it without the wood, and see how that goes. :D

Excellent! I hope you like it! It's fun to do, and technically, more healthy since the fat from the meatballs drips away on the grill. Yet another great reason to grill something! :smile: