Cajun pork and black eyed pea chili

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
This is best if made at least a day ahead so the flavors will meld.

NOTE: I will post a recipe in a different thread in case you have difficulty finding fresh andouille.

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
12 ounces fresh (not smoked) andouille sausage, removed from casing
1 pound ground pork
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 celery stalks with leafy tops, diced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken or pork stock
28-ounce can diced tomatoes
15 ounce package of frozen black-eyed peas
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp Crystal
1 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp creole seasoning
1/2 tsp each kosher salt and black pepper

For garnish:
2-3 green onions, both green and white parts, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Serve with cornbread, I made Southern sweet cornbread with just a touch of vanilla in it. l

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the andouille sausage and ground pork and cook, breaking up, until browned.. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage and pork mixture to a bowl. Set aside. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper and sauté until onions are translucent and vegetables are softened, about 6-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the remaining ingredients, including the pork/sausage mixture and bring chili to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until chili has thickened.

Serve chili topped with diced scallions and grated cheese if desired, with cornbread on the side.

Attachments

• 2019-01-30 18.23.39.jpg
    2019-01-30 18.23.39.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 937
Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love the combinations of ingredients here, but am skeptical if I could handle the spiciness of the Andouille.

Thanks, med!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
It just had a very mild hint of spiciness, hardly there at all. The fresh Andouille doesn't taste as strong as smoked. Besides that, you can always cut down on the spicy stuff like Crystal and cayenne.