Grandma's Buttered Egg Noodles & Cheese

Grandma's Buttered Egg Noodles & Cheese

This is a dish I grew up with, from my Hungarian Grandma. It is not an actual "recipe" as there are no exact measurements. When I was growing up, grandma made this dish, either when it was too hot to cook or turn on the oven (after Sundown on Friday night - for religious reasons), or a quick lunch. She served cut up bananas, strawberries & blueberries with sour cream for dessert. I still make it to this day, & always smile when I think of her.

Boil about a pkg of broad egg noodles & drain. Add salt & pepper & butter to taste. Stir the butter into the hot cooked noodles until the butter is melted. Mix in cold cottage cheese & eat it while the noodles are still hot.

If you're feeling really wild & adventurous, lol, sprinkle some Paprika over the top. Get a fork, and eat out of the pot when no one is looking.
wink.gif

She may have used pot cheese or farmer cheese (don't recall). I use low fat small curd Knudsen cottage cheese.

Note: The dish does not reheat well, as the cottage cheese gets gluey/sticky. Eat it all while it's hot. I've used spaghetti in place of the broad egg noodles, but prefer the broad egg noodles.

Last edited: