Looking for fried fish info

chowhound

I typically don't cook fish often, and when I do it's usually grilled, but I've got some tilapia fillets to use up and I've got a taste for breaded and fried fish.
It's been so long since I breaded and fried fish, I have no recollection.... flour, eggs and bread crumbs? Just bread crumbs? Do I need to let it sit for a while for the breading to stick? And I'm also trying to decide if I should pan fry them or use the deep fryer.... I can eat a lot of fish and I want these fillets to come out right so I can pig out on a Friday night fish fry. BTW, the fillets are about sandwich size and not very thick. I'm kind of looking for a breading with a little crunch to it, but not overly thick like a batter.

Thanks for any help.

chowhound

Cool. Thanks, Lee.
That sounds so simple it's almost scary....
If I don't get back out today, I'll look for this stuff at the store tomorrow.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good post Lee. Rep points for you. :thumb:
(for those who don't know: Rep points are like thanks for a good post ...you give them by clicking on the scales at the top right corner of any post. You can't always give reps to the same person, so spread em around before you can give to someone a 2nd time).

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That sounds good, Qsis. If you like the fish the way Long John Silvers makes it, just use Golden Dipt batter. When doing that it does help to have a deep frier, but I have done it in a Cast Iron pan before. When you remove them from the pan, let them sit for about a minute in a colender to let the oil drip off, then pat dry. Or you can just lay it out on paper towels but sometimes they get too messy that way.
Those fillets make for a great sandwich too, or even fish tacos!