I'm going to send my wife on a vacation.

The Tourist

Banned
(Mods, move this if it's in the wrong place.)

My wife had surgery over the holidays, and she now has a chance to accompany her friends for +one week in Florida. Most of the stuff is already covered. I'd like to see her go in style.

Recently I came upon a real-deal Japanese laminated gyuto (about seven to eight inches of blade), which I taped up and froze several weeks ago.

I am now going to polish the dickens out of it--and I mean my best work. Six different stones, numerous grades of paper, both grades of my favorite paste and only the best of my glaziers glass polishing mounts--and yes, I mean perfect glass invented after the Civil War. No one will be able to say this isn't the very best edge available.

It is so sharp now after only blocking in the edge with a more coarse stone that it already slices newsprint "twice and twain."

With four to six hours more work, the gyuto will be one of the sharpest, most perfect Japanese knives I have ever polished.

Whether you are a professional chef or a guy who likes to putter around like he's a professional chef, here's a chance to get a perfect knife for under its real value.

500 bucks and freight, that's it.

My wife stood by me in 2000 and 2001 when I was ill. She never wavered, never complained. She finally crashed and burned in my psychiatrist's office, sadly a condition of all caregivers. We all owe our wives, and especially me.

It's her turn to get paid back.

Every nickel from this labor will be put in her hand. No chrome purchases, no toys, no cheeseburgers, no tax payments. My wife wants to be warm, and I'm going to send her to Florida.

Look at it this way. We have a Japanese restaurant in Madison that employs real-deal Japanese born and trained chefs. I have been the only one to put a superior edge in their hands. In fact, I take them a knife when we eat there.

You might never get a personal cooking lesson from Cat Cora, but you can get a knife she'd gladly purchase. Some of these pros pay two grand for each knife they own.

I'm going to sell it. I want to make this sacrifice. And when you cut yourself, and you will, you're going to gasp, "Man, Chico really loves his wife..."

The Tourist

Banned
I have one, perhaps two stones to go before I begin the paper polishing.

It should be a good one, it's 'scary' already, just with stones.

The Tourist

Banned
DSC00427.jpg

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Looks GREAT! :thumb:

That should turn itself into a nice vacation.

Jim

The Tourist

Banned
Man, I hope so. She's very much like me when it comes to being ill. The moment she feels a little strength she resumes her full routine.

The biggest issue was the excuse of my wrist. I broke it a few years back, and the break was so bad they had to secure the bones with two medical versions of a "ten penny nail."

I could use my fingers--and I have a very light touch when sharpening--so I went back to work the next day.

That's not major surgery, however. Yikes, within five hours after her surgery, she called me on the phone and chattered like a magpie.

The very next morning she woke me to get me down to the hospital to spring her. She herself hustled up all of the paperwork and got released.

Within 20 minutes of that release, she was eating pancakes at a local Perkins restaurant.

So when I say I'm "sending her to Florida" what I'm really implying is that I'm going to get her an entire continent away from ringing phones, squalling children, her home business and de-poop duties for the pups.

In the sun, on a chaize lounge, mai-tai in hand, best friend as wingman, and nothing to do for +one week.

The polishing job on the knife cost me 5 or 6 hours of doing what I like, anyway. Big deal, it was truly a work of love.

BTW, when I sell a knife I offer "life sharp." When knives of this sort (ever) dull, you send tham back to me for freight charges only. That also applies here. Service to a knife like this would cost about 150 bucks. The new owner gets that for free each time.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I'm jumping into a subject I don't really know much about but I do know your work is worth what someone will pay for it and lifetime service often is worth a considerable amount for a tool that makes you money.

Jim