Pork Surf & Turf

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Pork Surf and Turf

Baby Back (Pork Loin) Ribs seasoned with Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Salt, and Pepper. Also on scene, 2 clusters of Snow Crab legs and a lobster tail.

These ribs were cooked on a Weber 18” Kettle. The coals were banked to one side. The ribs went directly over the colas for 5-8 minutes per side to brown the top and bottom. The ribs were then moved to the far side away from the coals and Cherry wood was added. The ribs were then cooked indirectly in Cherry smoke for 3o minutes.

The Crab legs and Lobster tail were boiled in a pot with Zatarains’s Crab Boil seasoning. Crab was boiled first, and the Lobster tail was added at the end for 5 minutes total.

Step_3-60.jpg

Step_4-55.jpg

Step_1-68.jpg

Step_2-67.jpg

Step_5-48.jpg

Step_6-42.jpg

Step_7-33.jpg

Step_8-24.jpg

Step_9-19.jpg

Step_9a-8.jpg

Meme4251

Very nice looking Keltin. What sauce did you use on the ribs if you don't mind me asking. Seafood also looked yummy!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow! QBro would love that meal, Keltin!

Nice job!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
you cooked ribs in 46 mins. how were they ...

Excellent. They had a little bite (slightly firm, not fall off the bone), but that is the way I like them. Baby Backs are incredbily tender to start with, so I actually grill them more often than smoke them. When you cook them like this, the temps are way hotter than smoking, around 425 degrees, so it's like baking them in the oven but with smoke.

Last edited:

chowhound

Excellent. They had a little bite (slightly firm, not fall off the bone), but that is the way I like them. Baby Backs are incredbily tender to start with, so I actually grill them more often than smoke them. When you cook them like this, the temps are way hotter than smoking, around 425 degrees, so it's like baking them in the oven but with smoke.

Agreed. Smoking, grilling, it's all good as long as you mix in some indirect, like you did, but that still seems like a short time. Are you still playing around with that high heat method shown on the FN? :lol:
When I grill on my gasser I try to keep the temps around 325-375.
And I prefer them a little firm, too. My perfect rib you can separate it from the rack, but not drag the meat off of the next couple next to it.

Nice surf and turf.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
To be honest, I probably let the ribs sit indirect about 45 minutes, but they were getting close to being dry, so I suggest dropping it to 30 in the recipe. But you may want to try 35 - 45 depending on your grill temp.

Look at the pics again. See the bottom side of that upturned rib? See how you can see striations and "flaky" type meat (individual strands)? That's a good indication of drying out. I ran them a bit long at 45 indirect, so I'll stick to 30-35.