Buckytom's Veal and Peppers Part II (with pictures)

buckytom

Grill Master
continued from part 1 : http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5808

cut up the green peppers into large chunks, removing any pith and seeds. ( i only took a pic of 2 peppers, but i used 3. someone ran off with it while we were cooking, but brought it back undamaged and unslimed..)

img2965.jpg
img2973.jpg

stir in the peppers, along with the dried herbs. cover the pot with a splatter screen and simmer on a low bubble for about an hour, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn on the bottom.

img2977.jpg
img2980x.jpg

finally, saute the onions in olive oil until they just brown on the egdes.

img2961.jpg
img2971n.jpg

add the browned onions into the pot. stir, cover with screen, simmer for a half hour more, stirring occasionally. it's done when the veal is fork tender.

img2981.jpg
img2986x.jpg

and that's it!! veal and peppers, aka vitello con pepperoni. if you have some available, add a small bunch of chopped or torn fresh basil as you turn off the heat, stirring it in. it'll add a nice aroma when serving.

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
i'll post a picture of the finished product over pasta tomorrow.

i need better serving plates. :sad:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nice BT! We're all suddenly craving veal and peppers now!

buckytom

Grill Master
thank you chowdog and mama. and there's plenty for your brood, squzie. c'mon over.

lol, oops, i forgot to add when to put in the dried herbs. also, i added a small bunch of fresh basil just as i turned the heat off and stirred it one last time. going back to edit...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man, I LOVE that stuff! Great with sweet Italian sausages, too!

Posts with pictures are terrific - thanks, BT!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks joe and lee.

lee, this is the same way i make sunday gravy, except i use browned pork chunks, turkey meataballs, and pork sausage. also, i like to add mushrooms and summer squash along with the onions.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks vb and fryboy.

i had it last night for dinner. it was good, but some of the pieces of veal were a little too lean so they were a bit dry. the fattier the meat the better.

my mom used to put al kinds of protein in sauce. my favourite was when she had leftover grilled legs, thighs and split chicken breasts. the smoke from the grill added even more flavor.

suziquzie

Off to the grocery store soon.

What cut of beef (cant spend the $$ on veal) or pork do you like for this concoction?
anyone?

Ya got 2 hours.
:)

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I should think any cut of pork will go well. I would use something link rump or sirloin of beef for the quicker cooking. If you cook it slower & longer, something like shin would work very well.

I imagine you could also cook it with chicken thighs & that would be tasty.

chowhound

I can vouch for pork shoulder roast (butt).
This was excellent. And if you cannot find the tomato product BT used, have about 2 cans of paste on hand.

Attachments

• BTs sauce.jpg
    BTs sauce.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,148