Finnish Peasoup

Saliha

smzF1CP.jpg

500 g dried peas
salt
3 liter water
500 - 800 g pork meat (shoulder, shank)
1 - 2 onions
whole white peppers (some like more black peppers)
marjoram

Soak the peas overnight in plenty of cold water. Drain and rinse the peas, discard the soaking water. Peel and quarter the onions. Place the pork meat, onions, peas and spices into the pan and top with water. Add salt, if necessary, only when the soup is ready.

Cook 1,5 to 2 hours.

Taste and add salt if needed.

You can also add carrots and garlic if you like. I added also some dried lovage. I added also 2 stock cubes.

If you like a thinner soup, add more water.

The traditional dessert with the peasoup are pancakes:

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26319

In Finland, it´s an old tradition to serve peasoup at every Thursdays (and pancakes too). Originally, the soup and pancakes came to be eaten as a filling tide-me-over before fasting on Fridays throughout pre-Reformation-era Scandinavia.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm, well, I use split peas and don't soak, but I cook them forever, so they break down a lot more than yours do.

Are your dried peas whole, Saliha?

I like the looks of yours, too!

I'll post a post with a photo of one of my pea soups in the crockpot. Buckytom posted a good-looking recipe, too, similar to mine, but he rendered some ham fat to sweat his vegs.

Lee

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270155&postcount=6

Saliha

Yes, peas are whole in my soup. I see that you boil your soup 8 hours!!! Maybe soaking them help to short the cooking time. Some people here like to cook them longer time than I but then only 3 hours max.

Interesting to see another version about this soup. :thumb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I see that you boil your soup 8 hours!!!. :thumb:

I just saw this, while looking for a soup idea.

Saliha, the 8 hours is in an electric slow cooker, or "Crockpot", on low heat.

Lee

Johnny West

Oh, that looks good. I've got a big bag from the farm in Zillah and should do a batch using a smoked ham hock.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've some cans of Marrowfat peas that I bought from the international food aisle among the UK foods section at Meijer.
Bet those might work... and I love marjoram.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've gone over to using a smoked turkey wing instead of a ham hock when making a mess o' greens. Less salty and less fatty, but still a lot of smoky meat to be had.

I have not tried it with pea soup, but I will!

Sass, I had to look up Marrowfat peas because I love the name! Which then led me to the English dish "Mushy Peas" which sounds good, too! Especially with "a splosh of vinegar". I will look for those.

I don't suppose Marrowfat peas taste anything like marrow or fat? That would be TOO great!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
soaking legumes before cooking does have a bright spot....

if they are too old - or too "things we've not yet learned about" - they stay hard.

going directly from dry to cooking,,,, if the peas/beans are not going to soften, yer' stuck with a batch of small vegtable stones and no dinner . . . .

don't ask. involves Navy bean soup, a ham hock, and many hours. followed by eating out . . . .

Saliha

Smoked turkey wings, marrowfat peas... seems that the next versions of this traditional soup will be something really new and interesting.

:readytoeat:

Johnny West

I never got around to getting a smoked hock but had a lot of ham that was planned for this soup.

It's Emeril's recipe and has a bit of veg in it as well. It's now on the hob simmering and smells wonderful. I'll get a pic when it's done.

Ingredients-:

1 pound dried split peas
1 ham hock
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 pound Smithfield ham, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8 cups water
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons fresh thyme

Directions-:

Place the peas in a large pot or bowl, cover with water by 2 inches and soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain the peas and set aside.
Score the ham hock. Place in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and cook, stirring, until just soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Add the ham hock and ham and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown. Add the drained peas, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes, and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add 8 cups of water, the bay leaf and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are tender, about 1 hour. (Add more water as needed, if the soup becomes too thick or dry.)

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/ham-and-split-pea-soup-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Saliha

Looks good, almost same like original version. I am sure it was tasty too.

As we say in Finland: Hyvää hernekeittopäivää!

(Have a nice peasoup day!)

:readytoeat:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, John, that looks fantastic!

Wish I had some right now!

So, you decided not to make it in your Instant Pot?

Lee