Homemade breakfast sausages

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Had some ground pork in the freezer that I had to use, so I made these last weekend, browned them up just a little, and put them in the fridge.

One work night this week, I browned them a bit more while heating them up, and served them up with fried eggs, seeded rye, and frozen hash browns - breakfast for dinner!

Lee

Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties

(adapted from “Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing” by Rytek Kutas)

1 ½ lb ground pork
1 T. salt
½ teas white pepper
1 heaping tablespoon rubbed sage
½ teas ginger
½ teas nutmeg
½ teas thyme
½ teas red pepper flakes

Mix everything together with clean hands. Refrigerate overnight, to marry flavors.

Form patties and cook in a Pammed frying pan, slowly over low heat, until patties are lightly browned, but cook through.

Attachments

• Breakfast sausages.JPG
    Breakfast sausages.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 151

Guts

Wow Lee those look fantastic. I'm going to have to try this sometime. I probably have some pork in the freezer. I haven't gotten to empty that freezer yet, this looks like a good idea to grind it up and make this. Got it copied to my favorites.
Thanks

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yes, those do indeed look great. I am definitely keeping this recipe.

Last fall, I made homemade sweet sausage for Lasagna and a small batch of breakfast sausage.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, did you stuff your sausages into casings, or form patties or logs by hand, or just brown it up loose?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I like your recipe for breakfast sausage. Back in January I made sweet Italian sausage both in casings and some left in bulk. I will be making these in bulk and just shape them into patties so I don't have to buy sheep casings and a new funnel for the grinder.

SausageMakers.jpg

Italiansausage011612.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, Joe! Those look beautiful!

Stuffing sausage into casings is definitely easier with more hands!

Lee