Member Spotlight - BreezyCooking!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Finally, after months of dealing with computer issues, our long-time member, BreezyCooking was able to complete her Spotlight!

It's a terrific one, with absolutely fantastic photos (thanks to Adillo for posting the photos with the text!).

Excellent job, Breezy - thank you!

Lee

Hi Lee! Finally, here's my stuff. Couldn't PM it to you. Too long.

Tell us a little about yourself - your family or household, kids, pets, occupation, etc.
Household consists of my husband & I, plus a plethora of critters – 3 dogs (Tri-Colored Walker Coonhound, Beagle/Australian Cattle Dog cross, Beagle/Rat Terrier cross – all adopted), 3 cats (all adopted), 5 horses (1 Quarter Horse, 2 Thoroughbred/Connemara crosses, & 2 Thoroughbred/Oldenburg crosses – 4 of these I bred & raised myself), a Citron-Crested Cockatoo (who speaks & is a real hoot!), & a tank of tropical fish. Husband is an executive software engineering manager; I’m a stay-at-home “zoo caretaker” who dabbles in sporthorse breeding, gardening (especially herbs & heirloom vegetables) & cooking (of course).

What part of the world do you live in?

We have a 22-acre farm in Culpeper, Virginia. An area which I call “the Northern South” – lol.

How did you find the NCT community?

I was invited over during the vast emigration from the “Discuss Cooking” website.

Do you have any hobbies besides cooking?

Cookbook & gardening book collecting (I have hundreds – ranging from old first edition classics to the newbies); gardening (particularly herbs & heirloom vegetables); reading (both fiction & non-fiction); watching & collecting classic film (have over 1,000 dvds – yikes!); writing; & of course, keeping all my critters healthy & happy

If you could choose any profession or occupation, what would it be and why?

To have the discipline & time to finish a writing piece longer than a short article/story – lol! Also, to be able to continue my sporthorse breeding program – something that went by the wayside when the economy tanked.

How and why did you choose your Username? What does it mean?

“Breezy” comes from our farm name – “Breezy Meadow Farm”. So for food sites I just add “cooking”.

What is a typical day like for you?

Husband is up at 5 a.m. to get ready for work (he has a 90-minute to 2-hour commute), so I’m up then too. Hounds get walked. I have coffee & check e-mail, do indoor critter work, & then head out to the barn. Regular errands, gardening, etc., get squeezed in where I can, but I always try to take a break after lunch to read &/or write a little – otherwise I’d never get to do it. Setting up for dinner. More hound walking & critter care. Last night check & hay toss for the horses around 10-11 p.m.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?

Coming back from 2 serious horse-related accidents – one a fractured spine, the other wherein I nearly lost my leg. I consider it both a combination of perseverance & luck that I’m still walking upright & going on with life (even if handicapped – lol!)

Give us 5 words that describe you.

Dreamer, caring, stubborn, opinionated, persevering.

Name 5 things that would be on your "bucket list".

I only have one – to be able to ride again (which would require a few more surgeries that I’m leery to pursue. Sigh.)

Name 5 things you can't live without.

Top of the list? My wonderful long-suffering & supportive husband.
A gang of furred & feathered critters to care for, enjoy, & love.
My farm, or any farm for that matter. Although I worked for some time in Manhattan, I’m really not a city person at all. It’s like “Gone With The Wind” – my heart belongs to the land – lol!
The resources to be able to cook & enjoy terrific food. I thank God every day that I don’t have to really scrimp when shopping – can pretty much food shop for whatever I want whenever I want. I do realize what a blessing this is, & thus am a regular contributor to our local food pantry. Not only canned goods, but eggs, turkeys, hams, & other meat items – whatever they need.
On a much more shallow note – the Turner Classic Movies channel – lol!! If there was only one channel I could have on television, that would be it. Frankly, I rarely watch any other channels except for Anthony Bourdain’s “No Reservations”.

Who is your role model and why?

I don’t really have any nameable role model, since I feel everyone has their good & bad points. But I will say that I do admire women who have beaten the odds due to their own personal resources without having to stomp on the heads of others.

Tell us one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to know.

Gee – that’s difficult to answer since no one here really knows me – lol! Maybe that I sometimes have a serious lust for Taco Bell regular tacos – regardless of what “mystery meat” they’re made of? Lol!

What would the child you once were think of the adult you have become?

What the hell happened?

What is the best moment of your life so far?

Walking again. (I can’t kneel down anymore, but I can walk!)

How and at what age did you start cooking?

Both of my parents were/are FABULOUS cooks, so I started learning at a very early age (9-10 maybe?). Plus, the Czechs (I’m 100% Czech – Bohemian actually) are very food-oriented. My mother was cooking Asian dishes when all you could find on the shelves was Chung King – lol! Thanks to my dad, I can’t make a Roast Goose without also making Czech Bread Dumplings with Sauerkraut. And when my dill is growing nicely, it’s a safe bet that I’ll be making Chicken in Sour Cream with Dill, & those same dumplings.

Do you have a signature dish or one that you make especially well?

I’d have to say that I shine best between Xmas & New Year’s. Xmas (for many many years now) has us enjoying a Roast Goose with Port Wine Gravy, Czech Bread Dumplings, Butter-Braised Brussels Sprouts (try saying that 3 times fast), & Goose-Fat Roasted Potatoes; & the leftover goose ends up in my famous (almost – lol) New Year’s Day “French Cassoulet”.

What is your favorite spice?

Gosh, I use so many on a daily basis. Even though it’s not technically a “spice”, I’d have to say Garlic – fresh chopped &/or granulated (never powdered – that’s nasty stuff). After that, I’d have to say Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, & finally dried Oregano. While I use dozens of others, those are probably the 3 I use the most.

What 2 cooking tools/gadgets/appliances would you swap from your kitchen and what would you swap them for?

Honestly, I really can’t think of anything I currently have that I’d want to swap out. I’m not much of a gadget person. The few I have, I use.

What is your favorite restaurant meal?

Another question I can’t definitively answer. If I’m in the mood for sashimi, then a fabulous sashimi meal at our local Japanese place will hit the spot. If I’m feeling carnivorous, our favorite local Mediterranean bistro with their fabulous prime rib would be my destination. Mexican? Another place. Etc., etc. I enjoy so many different things at so many different places at different times, it’s really impossible to choose just one.

What would your last meal be if you could choose anything at all?

Like my answer above, it would probably depend on what I was hankering for at the moment. But off the cuff, I’d probably want some steamed soft-shell clams & a nice boiled lobster with melted butter.

If you could host a dinner party with 6 well-known guests, living or dead, who would they be and what would you serve?

Julia Child, Anthony Bourdain, John Besh, Vincent Price, George Sanders, Sara Moulton.
I’d probably serve a New Orlean’s spiced Oysters Rockefeller in regards to Besh; Coq au Vin (perhaps a white one) in regards to Julia; Vincent – a gourmet in his own right – would probably enjoy both of the above, as would Sanders & Moulton. Sides? Well be assured they’d be appropriate to the meal.

Who would you most like to prepare a meal for and why. What would you serve?

Anthony Bourdain. I’d serve a meal earthy & peasanty – which is actually the type of food I enjoy most myself, & which he has claimed time & time again that he enjoys most.

Who would you most like to have prepare a meal for you?

Again – too difficult a question. It would depend on what I was in the mood for. Peasanty French? Anthony Bourdain. Japanese? Maybe Nobuyuki Matsuhisa or Masaharu Morimoto. For Mexican? Maybe Rick Bayless.

100 years from now, how would you like to be remembered?

That I had a positive effect on at least someone’s life.

Norton stretched out on the bed.

02-12-10 Norton Stretched on Bed.JPG

4 Pound birthday lobster.

4 Pound Birthday Lobster.JPG

Dumley napping

DumleyNapping1.JPG

Frankie Poofy lips 2010

Frankie Poofy Lips 2010.jpg

Guinea with roasted vedgetables

Guinea With Roasted Veggies A1.JPG

LRD Blue Pillows

LRD Blue Pillows.JPG

Minky summer 2000

Minky%20Summer%202000b.jpg

Mom's First Kiss

Moms1stKiss.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
How fascinating Breezy! I love all of the pics of your critters too! Thanks for sharing with us!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I can't see the pics on Internet Explorer just red X's.

Now I am on Firefox and all I can see are the captions and no red X's.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think some of the more computer savy folks are looking into it Peepers. I'm using firefox and can see them fine. I logged out ans a mod and logged back in as a non-mod member to see if maybe only the mods could see the pics but I can see them as a non-mod too. I'm gonna have to leave it up to the more computer savy people.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Very interesting and wonderful read, Breezy. That's a lot of critters to care for!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I downloaded the pics to my computer and Uploaded them as attachments. Hopefully you'll be able to see them now along with anyone else who is having trouble and when they get the problems fixed, they can just delete this post. Let me know if you can see them.

1) Norton stretched out on the bed.
2) 4 Pound birthday lobster.
3) Dumley napping
4) Frankie Poofy lips 2010
5) Guinea with roasted vegetables
6) LRD Blue Pillows
7) Minky summer 2000
8) Mom's First Kiss

Attachments

• Breezy1.JPG
    Breezy1.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Breezy2.JPG
    Breezy2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Breezy3.JPG
    Breezy3.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • Breezy4.jpg
    Breezy4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Breezy5.JPG
    Breezy5.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 989
  • Breezy6.JPG
    Breezy6.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,016
  • Breezy7.jpg
    Breezy7.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Breezy8.jpg
    Breezy8.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,026
I think some of the more computer savy folks are looking into it Peepers. I'm using firefox and can see them fine. I logged out ans a mod and logged back in as a non-mod member to see if maybe only the mods could see the pics but I can see them as a non-mod too. I'm gonna have to leave it up to the more computer savy people.

Interesting. Don't see members/mods avatars from time to time.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I am at the Dr office on my handheld. Followup from surg. Next stop is home. I will see what I can do there.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is back to that old issue where for some reason I do not understand when we post pics the way they were in the original post some members can't see them but others can. We never have figured out that issue. Thanks Mama for posting them the old fashioned way.

Awesome spotlight BC. Love it. Well written and so interesting. I have to admit my answer for favorite restaurant would be much like yours. I could never name just one. :yum:
Great job and THANKS for taking the time to do a spotlight. :tiphat: :clap: :clap:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Would someone who could not see the pix in the first post please look again and tell me if they can see them now?

Thank You

Andy

QuirkyCookery

What an awesome interview!! I love learning about new people and Breezy, we've never met or spoken before, but from reading that, we have a lot in common!

Cookbook & gardening book collecting (I have hundreds – ranging from old first edition classics to the newbies)

Do you have a favorite? Or a top two of each (like favorite old one, and favorite current one?)

And the Taco Bell thing? Me too!! I know it's bad for you and they're certainly not "real Mexican food" but oh gosh, I crave them like crazy sometimes...and have no issues indulging, hehe.

Thanks everyone! :chef:

And Quirky - as far as favorite cookbooks, I'd probably categorize them by ones I use regularly vs. ones I read like novels.

For usage, my hands-down #1 favorite would be Julia Child's "The Way To Cook". While I have most of her other volumes, this one is falling apart I use it so much. Basically what she did was take many of the classic "French Cooking" recipes & make them easier & healthier without sacrificing flavor. I also use - dare I say it - a number of Martha Stewart's cookbooks, but the older ones; ones she put out long before she became an empire (like "Martha Stewart's Quick Cook"; "Healthy Cook"; "Entertaining"; "Christmas"; etc. Although with Martha, you really have to look at & think about the recipes first, because they often need major adjustments in order to come out right. I'd never recommend them to anyone as basic "learn from" cookbooks.

For reading pleasure, I LOVE the "Beautiful" series of cookbooks, & have nearly all of them. The cultural information & photography are priceless, & I love curling up with a stack of them to drool over for awhile. They're like combination cookbooks/coffee table books. Oh - & the recipes turn out very well too!:wink:

Oh - one more that I really like, although the title escapes me at the moment, is one that was put out by the late actor (& gourmet cook) Vincent Price & his wife. It's a big thick book in a leatherette binding & features old menus & recipes from famous restaurants all over the country. I particularly enjoy reading the old menus - the prices from way back when are unbelievable. I was able to snag two copies of it on E-Bay (one for me; one for my mom), & we both cherish them.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks everyone! :chef:

Although with Martha, you really have to look at & think about the recipes first, because they often need major adjustments in order to come out right. I'd never recommend them to anyone as basic "learn from" cookbooks.

Excellent observation, and well-stated! I find that to be the case with a LOT of "celebrity" recipes!

I'm also interested in your admiration of a Vincent Price's cookbook, Breezy. I'll have to see if I can find any info about it online.

Thanks!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, great - thanks, Breezy!

BTW, all your animal photos are terrific, but I have a huge soft spot for grey tigers. Dumley stole my heart! :)

Lee

Thanks Lee!

"Dumley" (or "Chumley", as we sometimes call her) is definitely "mommy's little girl". We adopted her from a neighbor's barn cat litter, along with her sister. Unfortunately, none of the kittens were very healthy, & the sister - who was born blind - didn't survive very long. But "Dumley/Chumley", even though she was born with only one functioning kidney, is still happy & healthy (except for some age-related hind end arthritis now) 14 years later.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Sorry for the delayed reply.

Andy I can see the original pics now.

Mama thank you for the attachments.

Wonderful pics.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Breezy - I love the pix too. I am also very fond of grey tigers. My Chuckie walked up to me as a not yet 8 week old kitten that had been dumped with his littermates. They were not so fortunate, they were all run over. Chucky was with me for 13 years.

I think my fondness for dogs is well known. Yours is adorable.

Thank you for the wonderful snapshot of your life and sharing your critters.

Andy

Oh, & since we seem to have a few cat lovers here, here's a photo of "Gizmo" in his Devil costume from last year's Halloween (he's going to be a witch this year - lol!). I know, I know. . . . I need to get a life - lol!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us