Spot Seasoning Cast Iron?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Anyone ever "spot season" Cast Iron?

My Outdoor DO came "pre-seasoned", so I didn't bother to do a seasoning my self. Mistake! :doh:

Inside the DO, the top 2 inches of the inner wall is developing a reddish look that I can't wipe off, and I'm assuming it's rust trying to pop up.

It's only that top 2 inches on the inner wall. The rest of the wall, the bottom, the outside wall, the lid, etc, is fine with a great shiny seasoning.

So, I'm thinking I'm going to have to strip the inside to get that discoloration out. I'm thinking of using a wire brush wheel attached to my drill to sand out the top 2 inches only.

I'm hoping to just sand out and clean that top 2 inches where the discoloration is, and then re-season the whole inside to build up a new seasoning on the spots I sanded down.

Anyone ever have any luck doing this?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't spot season but simply wash good they put some lard in the pan followed by a preheated oven etc. I use basically the same methods as show here http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm
This also applies to carbon steel woks as well. I use lard (bacon fat nothing more) rather than oils. Woks however I use a good grade of peanut oil.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Interesting website, JoeC!!

My mom has always told me to just keep on using the cast iron skillets for frying things that you'd normally fry fry in them anyway. Eventually, the grease gets "baked" on.

Of course, if you're an outdoor cook and you love to cook out, blackened fish is also another way to get the pan seasoned perfectly. Since you can't make that inside unless you have a hood with a very powerful exhaust fan to suck out the smoke that comes from doing this.

Another thing that I read about is to never wash the pan, but just wipe it out with a piece of paper towel.

But what if the pan was used to cook something that is stuck to it? What then? No one wants food residue from a previous meal to come into whatever is cooked in the skillet the next time! That could become a health hazzard!

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
In spite of all the dire warnings, I wash my 60+ year-old cast iron skillet all the time - yes, with dishwashing liquid and water. It is SO well-seasoned that it behaves just like teflon - nothing much sticks. I never let it soak - just swish it out quickly and rinse. About once a year, I re-season it in the oven.

mhend

In spite of all the dire warnings, I wash my 60+ year-old cast iron skillet all the time - yes, with dishwashing liquid and water. It is SO well-seasoned that it behaves just like teflon - nothing much sticks. I never let it soak - just swish it out quickly and rinse. About once a year, I re-season it in the oven.

I do the same thing with mine too Karen.

I had to re-season my skillet a few days ago. It started getting a couple of those rust spots so I washed it using a scouring pad, dried it completely, put a light coat of lard on it and put it in the oven for a few hours. Good as new. :thumb:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
SOS pad, then rinse in hot water, dry out with a clean towel, place on stove top over low heat to ensure complete dryness- let it cool down... then dab a paper towel with oil, and rub it around the inside.
I store my Lodge on the bottom rack inside my gas stove.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
SassMuffin said:
I store my Lodge on the bottom rack inside my gas stove.

I do the same thing with my old CI skillet, Sass...it gets pretty hot down there when the oven is on. I wonder if that helps to keep it seasoned?

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just let mine soak with some hot water and dishwashing liquid long enough to loosen and soften cooked-on food residue.

Or I just spray it with some Dawn Power Disolver and let it sit for 15 minutes. Like I did last week.