MEMBER SPOTLIGHT FooD !!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
P1030301-1-1.jpg

Tell us a little about yourself - your family or household, kids, pets, occupation, etc.
Hi, my name is George and I currently live with my wife in a home in Los Angeles, Ca. We have two adult daughters, both of whom live in town, close by, with their family and kids. Between our two daughters we have 2 grandsons and 2 granddaughters, ranging in age from 7 months to 15 years.

I'm originally from Japan, born and raised as a military brat. I eventually moved out of Japan after high school, after 18 years of living there and settled in Los Angeles. And I've been here pretty much ever since.

I've basically been self-employed all my life, beginning with a partnership in a small printing & Xerox company which lasted a few years. While I was doing that I met my wife who was a hair dresser at the time. I married her and we decided to get into the hair cutting business. The hair business started to expand so I decided to devote 100% of my time and energy to it and left my partnership in the printing co. My wife eventually stopped cutting hair and devoted her time to strictly running the business at one of the locations. And this is what we're currently still doing.

I love outdoor cooking, and have always had my share of grills and little hibachis over the years but have gotten pretty serious about the whole aspect of bbq'ing only several years ago. I love to entertain friends and family out in the patio with food prepared outside. I'm lucky to live in a climate where I can do this pretty much year round. And my sudden interest in pizza making only a year ago got me excited about building my own wood fired brick oven so I did just that. I use the wood oven for cooking lots of things now, not just pizza.

What part of the world do you live in?
I live in Los Angeles, close to down town, and very close to Dodger Stadium. I can hear the roar of the stadium crowd but live in an otherwise quiet street which runs along side a secluded hillside perimeter of the stadium park property.

How did you find the NCT community?
Like some of you, I was also directed to this site from another cooking forum. I also frequent other food forums as well but they are specific as to the type of cooking such as bbq'ing and smoking.

Do you have any hobbies besides cooking?
Yes, I love cycling, both mountain biking and road/street riding. You can say I've been a recreational cyclist for many years, and it's been a hobby that has never faded away from me. And in the recent years I've gotten into long distance rides, 100 to 200 mile single day rides.

If you could choose any profession or occupation, what would it be and why?
Since I love nature and the outdoors, I've always thought a National Park ranger would have been the perfect job for me. I just dig their life style. I don't mind being somewhat isolated in the middle of nowhere.

How and why did you choose your Username? What does it mean?
....LOL....it's exactly what it means. I wanted something obvious and that's the first thing that came to mind! I know, it's kinda lame....lol..

What is a typical day like for you?
A typical day for me is getting up around 6am, get into work by 9, sit at the front desk of my small business, and surf the internet several hours during the work day.
And when I get home from work 12 hours later I prepare food for the family if my wife hadn't done so.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?

Just being able to provide for my family makes me proud.

Give us 5 words that describe you.
Caring, loner, honest, arrogant, polite

Name 5 things that would be on your "bucket list".
Backpack the Trans-Pacific Trail
Self-supported bike tour through Asia and Europe
Vacation in Iceland
Cruise Alaska
Live in a lake side cabin somewhere in the pacific Northwest

Name 5 things you can't live without.
Bicycles, my wife, grills, nice legs, sushi

Tell us one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to know.
People are generally surprised to see that I can build things from scratch, big or small.

What would the child you once were think of the adult you have become?
Wouldn't think much of him, just an average guy on the street with a big smile...lol...

How and at what age did you start cooking?
That would be during college. Being out of the house and living on my own, I had to force myself to learn to cook. That's also when I became fascinated with quality kitchen gadgets.

Do you have a signature dish or one that you make especially well?
No, I don't have a specialty dish. All my cooks for the most part are average at best.

What 2 cooking tools/gadgets/appliances would you swap from your kitchen and what would you swap them for?
Since I have multiples of nice cork screws and a couple of nice blenders, I'm willing to trade one of each for a 36-bottle wine cooler and a 6 quart Kitchaid mixer.

What is your favorite restaurant meal?
That would be a nice hearty breakfast.....two eggs, over easy, bacon, hash browns, soughdough toast with butter, and a pot of black coffee. I can even order that for dinner, or any time during the day, for the matter.

Who would you most like to have prepare a meal for you?
My mother.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
You have always seemed such a laid back kinda guy....and your picture does you such justice!! What a wonderful read!! Thank you so much for letting us get a chance to know you better.

Beautiful!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good spotlight FooD / George!!!!!! Nicely Done. Very nice to know a little more about you.
How interesting to have grown up in Japan. My wife was a military brat and moved numerous times in her first 18 years. She hated the moving part. You are lucky to have been able to spend 18 yrs in one place. And .... you have a kewl outdoor wood pizza oven!!!! Very kewl.
100 - 200 mile bike rides would be tough for sure. You look to be in good shape from your pic and I suspect those bike rides help with that for sure.
Very nice to get to know you and I'm glad to have you as an active member here on Net Cooking Talk. :tiphat: :clap: :thumb: :D

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
You have led an interesting life, George! And you certainly don't look old enough to have a 15 year old grandchild. I really like the front of your house - looks a bit like Mexico. Thanks so much for sharing some of your personal life with us. Sounds like you are attracted to cool climates (vacation in Iceland, cruise to Alaska, etc.). Mexico probably wouldn't be your first choice! Would sure welcome a visit from you, though!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you for sharing you with us, George!

This was a great spotlight!

I was struck by two things I like in particular: the five words that describe you (I don't know anyone who would call him/herself "arrogant", LOL!) and the fact that you can't live without "nice legs". :)

You sound like a really cool person to know!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm surprised no one noticed the communicator pinned to his chest. and the holes in his post.

ok, c'mon now george, let's have it, the real story.

no one actually goes biking for 200 miles. you must have read that incorrectly in your historical documents.

what ship are you from? ncc-1701d? c?

lol, j/k. nice to get to know you, george.

i loved the fact that you wrote "arrogant" followed by "polite". only someone who truely can be as such, and knows themselves would write that, and i respect the hell out of that. :applause:

if you and yours ever come to nyc, i'll treat you to a big irish breakfast. eggs, sausage, irish bacon, black and white puddings, baked herbed tomatoes, brown bread, irish butter, and strong tea. you'd love it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Great read Food. That is so neat that you grew up in Japan. Thanks for sharing.