MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - Adillo303!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Member Spotlight – Adillo303 (Andy)

Tell us a little about yourself - your family or household, kids, pets, occupation, etc.

I was born in upstate New York (Utica). I grew up there and had a fairly unremarkable childhood. I graduated high school and after looking at the world / life ahead, I decided to join the USAF. They in turn decided that I would repair computers. I was kind of unhappy with this, as I really wanted to drive a tank and told my mom so. She replied “ Stay with the computers they will take care of you, and if you really wanted to drive a tank, you should have joined the Army”. Mom was right, they usually are. I have been in the computer industry ever since. The computer that I worked on in the USAF consisted of 120,000 vacuum tubes.

After the Air Force, I worked for GE / Honeywell repairing large mainframe computers. I worked down to mini computers, while still working on the mainframes. I eventually went to work for Drew Chemical Company supporting their Honeywell mainframe. My boss sent me “upstairs” to get involved with a project to analyze industrial cooling water, the Drew Pulse Analyzer. I was fortunate enough to co hold a patent on part of the technology. My part was the computerization. I used some of the first micro computers in this project. It was housed in a van and went around the USA to connect to cooling towers in plants. When the system went international, I got to go to several countries and make it work. These trips and the people that I met are some of my best memories.

I left there due to a conflict with a supervisor of mine and took a job in NYC at a brokerage maintaining the software on their mainframe. It was there that I was exposed to computer networks. They just fascinated me to no end and I had to have one. The brokerage was not getting into them fast enough, so I went to work for a small wire company. They were installing cabling at one of the top 50 law firms in NYC. My first day on the job the server went down and no one really knew how to get it back on line. I worked with someone and we got it up and running. It was too late, I had been bitten by the bug. Networks and servers have fascinated me to this day. I have probably built over 100 of them through the years and have never tired of them.

Along the way with the encouragement of a few friends, I decided to strike out on my own and formed Armadillo Services, Inc. I started with no customers, no office and no help. Over the years it has been good and bad. It is the greatest learning experience that I can imagine. I have been driven by customers into phone systems, WEB pages, more cabling, server / desktop support and Internet connectivity. I have made friends out of most of my customers and love it.

Personally, I am divorced and remarried. I am watched over by two Labrador retrievers, who go with me most everywhere I go that is not at work. I live in New Jersey and commute to NYC daily.

What part of the world do you live in?

I live in Haledon, NJ.

How did you find the NCT community?

Like many others, I came here from another site.

Do you have any hobbies besides cooking?

I have tried so many hobbies. I have 12 hours flying time, one hour of that in a WW2 Biplane replica, over 100 SCUBA dives, about a third of those at a depth ov over 100 feet. I am a certified advanced open water and NITROX diver, although I have not been in a while. I am a camper and have been for over 35 years. I like welding, wood working and being outside. DW and I built a KOI pond from scratch that many have liked. I also enjoy auto mechanics, don’t get me started on my truck. Oh! I have also had five motorcycles over the years.

If you could choose any profession or occupation, what would it be and why?

Electrician – Good income steady job and difficult to outsource.
Plumber – Same reasons as above.
Owner Operator of a coffee truck – Good income outside work.

What is a typical day like for you?

Weekdays – Get up about 5:00 commune with “The Boyz” (Bear & Liam, my labs) for a few minutes, eat breakfast and off to work. The workday is varied and I am in a service business. I do what is up to be done. I get home about 6:30 PM most days. Feed the Boyz, make dinner, putter at my compy and go to bed about 10:30. Maybe a bit earlier.

Weekends – Up at about the same time, coffee and B’Fast with the Boyz. See what is up for the day, chores, some TV, maybe a nap. If possible a small fire around the Koi pond in the better weather.

Give us 5 words that describe you.

Inquisitive
Patriotic
Friendly
Somewhat moody
Dependable

Name 5 things that would be on your "bucket list".

I would like to camp in the northwest USA.
I would like to live down south.
I would like to see the Everglades.
I would like to participate in an animal shelter.
I would like to have a foundation to introduce children to computers.

Name 5 things you can't live without.

Coffee
My Smartphone
Access to the outdoors
Friends
Something to learn or occupy my mind

Who is your role model and why?

My mom and dad for exemplifying that you can be happy without a lot of money, if you have good friends and family.

Tell us one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to know.

Many consider me a loner.

What would the child you once were think of the adult you have become?

As a child, I was a dreamer, I still am. I do not think he could have imagined the places that I have been or the things that I have seen, but, I think he would have enjoyed every one of them.

What is the best moment of your life so far?

The birth of Paula Marie (My daughter).

How and at what age did you start cooking?

I started in midlife. After my divorce. I had a few GF’s that could not cook. At first it was self defense, then I learned that it can be a creative experience.

Do you have a signature dish or one that you make especially well?

Probably my potato salad and Taco Salad. I often get asked to make them and very infrequently are there leftovers.

What is your favorite spice?

Basil

What is your favorite restaurant meal?

Roast Beef and a Lobster tail

What would your last meal be if you could choose anything at all?

Roast Beef, Lobster tail, twice baked potatoes, sweet and sour green beans, a good wine and strawberry shortcake for desert.

If you could host a dinner party with 6 well-known guests, living or dead, who would they be and what would you serve?

Bill Clinton, Waylon Jennings, Jules Verne, Michelangelo, JFK and Mick Jaeger.

Absolutely, finger foods and good wines I would want to mix and learn from them all.

Who would you most like to prepare a meal for and why. What would you serve?

My mom and dad, My daughter and her family, Some friends that have done so much for my life (Their names would not register with anyone).

I would make seafood Paella as is elegant and fitting. These are the people that have influenced my life.

Who would you most like to have prepare a meal for you?

My culinary heroes are all here. Not in any particular order, Qsis, VeraBlue, Silver Sage, Buckytom, Mexico Karen, Keltin. You all are so creative and plate so well. The TV chefs have staff and lots of time. You all just do it and it is great.

100 years from now, how would you like to be remembered?

As someone who people enjoyed being around.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
You know, you really are the bees knees!!! Post some pictures as soon as you can, please please please!!!:clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are bees knees good?

LOL! Bees' knees are the very BEST, Andy!

Wonderful spotlight! I could have sworn you had done one before!

You have, and have HAD, an interesting life!

I am fascinated with the koi pond! Do the koi stay in there throughout a New Jersey winter?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yes they do Lee, at 55 degrees they go dormant and kind of lay on the bottom barely moving. All they need is for a small hole to be open in the ice. As they breathe by taking oxygen out of the water they put waste gas, just as we do into the water. The hole is to exchange waste gas for more oxygen. They do not get fed from About October to May. In fact KOI is japanese for carp, they are primarily bottom feeders and are happy eating algae. Feeding helps enhance color and is fun to watch.

We had babies last year and 3 survived. We now have 12 fish.

buckytom

Grill Master
wow, andy. very cool and extremely interesting, especially about your hobbies, your business, and the history of sage and ibm.

i knew you did something similar to me as far as work goes (systems engineering), but you really took the ball and ran with it starting your own business. that takes guts.

btw, your mom sounds like a wonderful person. acorns don't fall far from mighty oaks, you know. :biggrin:

and on a personal note, i'm quite humbled to even be mentioned in the group of qsis, vb, ss, and karen. thank you.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I read this before I logged in Andy.
You're a beautifully precious man with a darling heart which only makes your spotlight sharing that much more special.
Thank you :)

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
After a reread, the only thing that I am not fully satisfied with is the list of my culinary herroes. There are more than I listed. When I started coming here I could make a meal that people liked. Each of the people that post here individually and collectively have expanede my horizons in some way. Certainly given me reason th ask "Why am I using that? Is ther something else that I could try?"

After all if it flops, Bear & Liam eat anything and don't tell tales. They always have my back.

Thank you so much for the compliments. I appreciate them very much.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks so much for sharing your life with us, Andy. I love getting to know more about the special people that make up this unique family. Hey, you are a really smart guy! And, a really nice guy. I'd love to help you with your animal shelter.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great job Andy. I thoroughly enjoyed your spotlight. :clap: :clap: :clap:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Andy, how lucky for us that you shared your life with us - it sounds like it's been fascinating. I suspected that there was a lot more than we knew!

Any time you want to visit the Everglades, come on down. I'm just an hour and a half away.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
What a wonderful spotlight Andy! Thanks for letting us get to know you even better!