First time cooking mishaps

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
trial and error are important learning tools. lets share our not so glowing attempts that we learned from.

the first time i made homemade ravioli (i rolled the dough by hand). my table was bent in the middle so when i did the make a well in the flour and drop an egg in method, the egg rolled out of the well and into the crack and onto the floor. the cat was happy i wasn't!! well i got the dough mixed and made my raviolis not a one broke open!! BUT you could only fit ONE on a 9" plate.
lol.gif
i have gotten better at the size thing and i still like to roll my own dough out because they never leak the filling into the water.

the first time i made swedish meatballs well............ my hub still refers to them as swedish bowling balls.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

they tasted good!!

after i had my first daughter (at the begining of december, 20 years ago) i was told i still had to bring lemon meringue pie and pecan pie for xmas holiday dinner (mine were the best i was told). well i was so tired from nursing the baby and little sleep. i made my pies. they looked beautiful. the pecan was perfect but when my uncle cut into the lemon and it was soup he just rolled with it and said thats ok just give me a spoon this is mine!! accidents happen!! this happened AFTER i was making lemon pies for years so even experienced cooks have off days. no worries. i learned to laugh at the boo boos!! and never apologize (it was supposed to be that way duncha know!!). LOL

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Funny you should mention ravioli as my grandmother used to maker them from scratch and in a size of about 8". She stuffed hers with pork/beef/veal, rapped in spinach leaves. Basically her meat balls or meat loaf with spinach and cheese. One was a meal I might add as well. I've never attempted them myself but sure watched her thought the years making all kinds of pastas by hand.

I've had so many failures during my 50+ years I can't remember them all. Now my wife's failures I do remember such as the first Thanksgiving turkey she ever made. My grandmother told her to clean out the bird then how to cook it. She thought when she said clean out the bird she meant every thing so she totally deboned the thing. It tasted OK but really a strange sight when she put it on the table. :wub:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Funny you should mention ravioli as my grandmother used to maker them from scratch and in a size of about 8". She stuffed hers with pork/beef/veal, rapped in spinach leaves. Basically her meat balls or meat loaf with spinach and cheese. One was a meal I might add as well. I've never attempted them myself but sure watched her thought the years making all kinds of pastas by hand.

I've had so many failures during my 50+ years I can't remember them all. Now my wife's failures I do remember such as the first Thanksgiving turkey she ever made. My grandmother told her to clean out the bird then how to cook it. She thought when she said clean out the bird she meant every thing so she totally deboned the thing. It tasted OK but really a strange sight when she put it on the table. :wub:
she boned the WHOLE bird? then stuffed and roasted it? now that sounds EXCELLENT!! wasy carving!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes she should did then stuffed it as told. It actually looked like a funny shaped turkey with no bones. I started saying it looked like a road killed turkey which she didn't find humors at the time but now laughs about. My wife is also a pot killer in that she puts something on the stove and forgets about it if not watched. She once melted a vision ware pot making some rice and I mean melted it even stuck to the burners. She was a trip in the kitchen when we first got married which lead a lot to me learning but now is an excellent cook herself.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yes she should did then stuffed it as told. It actually looked like a funny shaped turkey with no bones. I started saying it looked like a road killed turkey which she didn't find humors at the time but now laughs about. My wife is also a pot killer in that she puts something on the stove and forgets about it if not watched. She once melted a vision ware pot making some rice and I mean melted it even stuck to the burners. She was a trip in the kitchen when we first got married which lead a lot to me learning but now is an excellent cook herself.
:clap: maybe she just wanted you to share the cooking chores? women are clever that way :whistle:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Nope, my wife is a true blond though gray now. 45 years with her and I've pretty will figured her out now. :wub:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Nope, my wife is a true blond though gray now. 45 years with her and I've pretty will figured her out now. :wub:
you think we save all the best stuff for last!! thats what keeps ya around!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG, I wouldn't know where to begin. I used to set the stove on fire pretty regularly. I've turned pasta into a starch frisbee many times. Chicken that looks burnt on the outside but spurts blood when you cut it. Gingerbread bricks. But as far as I know, no one has ever died or gotten food poisoning from my food.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
OMG, I wouldn't know where to begin. I used to set the stove on fire pretty regularly. I've turned pasta into a starch frisbee many times. Chicken that looks burnt on the outside but spurts blood when you cut it. Gingerbread bricks. But as far as I know, no one has ever died or gotten food poisoning from my food.

Ah, perhaps they didn't eat it out of self preservation is what I was thinking. :yum: Sorry FM just couldn't help myself with such a straight line. :whistling:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ah, perhaps they didn't eat it out of self preservation is what I was thinking. :yum: Sorry FM just couldn't help myself with such a straight line. :whistling:
It's OK, joe. You are closer to the truth than you know! Thank heavens I don't base my self-esteem on my cooking abilities!!! (I have other talents.:brows:)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
1.As a young and stupid new bride, I once made the entire box of spaghetti to serve two.
Pan of water boiling, added WHOLE box of pasta, OMG! what? big assed sticky ball of spaghetti (enough to feed an Army).

2.Scratch cake? Cake flour? Not I!
Used flour, flour.. as well as a few other random ingredients thrown in (because I thought it would work! lol)
Cake= 20 pound door stop.

3.Grilling pork chops on brand new gas grill.
Heat too high, walked away.. new gas grill totally aflame, ex-husband, the same.:yum:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
1.As a young and stupid new bride, I once made the entire box of spaghetti to serve two.
Pan of water boiling, added WHOLE box of pasta, OMG! what? big assed sticky ball of spaghetti (enough to feed an Army).

2.Scratch cake? Cake flour? Not I!
Used flour, flour.. as well as a few other random ingredients thrown in (because I thought it would work! lol)
Cake= 20 pound door stop.

3.Grilling pork chops on brand new gas grill.
Heat too high, walked away.. new gas grill totally aflame, ex-husband, the same.:yum:
oh lord!! :yum::yum: