Microsoft Vista buyers to get free Windows 7

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

SEATTLE - Microsoft said Thursday that prices for the Windows 7 computer operating system are largely in line with those for Vista, and that people who buy PCs before the new system goes on sale in October will get free upgrades.
To drum up demand among people who aren't in the market for a new PC, Microsoft also said it is taking limited pre-orders for Windows 7, selling some for as little as $50.

CONTINUED:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31544290/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

FryBoy

But, you have to buy a new PC to get it. Correct?
To get the free upgrade, you must buy a new PC. Microsoft's webpage says to buy it "today," but it also says the list of participating manufactures will be available on Friday.

If you don't want a new PC right now, you can but the upgrade for half price by pre-ordering from Microsoft starting tomorrow (6/26/09).

In either case, Windows 7 will not be released until October 22.

FryBoy

Yes, IF you buy it with a computer; I think the upgrades will be supplied by the computer manufacturer. However, I suspect that if you buy a stand-alone OEM Vista package without a computer, you'll be SOL for the freebie.

FryBoy

I strongly suspect that Amazon will be one of the retailers selling the upgrade for half price on the pre-orders. That would save tax and shipping. You can sign up to be notified by Amazon when the upgrade becomes available by going to this page:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U341EM[/ame]

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
No way I am gonna be among the first to get it, I think I will wait for others to find all the bugs first, then think about getting it, LOL.
I am still reeling from Vista. My Vista Home Premium works great, the kids Vista Home Basic sucks to death!
Still haven't figured that one out, since we are all on Dells.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Seems as though every other WOS sucks in some way.

When Microsoft had introduced Windows Millenium (or Windows Me), hardly anyone liked it, including myself. That one, IMOP, was the WORST one of all!! It never operated right. I ended up throwing the software away! $180.00 thrown in the trash!!

Now Vista has some problem associated with IT. Hopefully, Windows 7 will be better. But Microsoft supposedly said that it would be their last one.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Windows ME sucked the high hard one. Bad. I ran it for 2 days before formatting and installing 98!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Now Vista has some problem associated with IT. Hopefully, Windows 7 will be better. But Microsoft supposedly said that it would be their last one.

Their last one? You mean their last OS? Mmmmmmm.... I doubt it. Thats their bread and butter isnt it? :unsure:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, they said that either last year or earlier this year.

Yeah, everyone would think that it's their bread & butter.

FryBoy

Windows 7 has gotten good reviews from the Beta testers. From what they say it's sort of the final, slimmed-down, speeded-up, enhanced version of Vista, similar to the way XP was an improvement over ME. Of course, XP had problems, too, until SP1 was released. That may happen with 7, too, but we won't know that for a few months.

There WILL be problems with running some older software and hardware under 7, but Micro$oft has a tool on their website to analyze your system and give you a heads-up on those issues.

Nonetheless, I suspect most power users will want to upgrade eventually. I'm sure I will, so I've pre-ordered the upgrade from Amazon for $49.99, no tax, free shipping. List price will be $119.99, and M$'s OSs are usually not discounted very much.

It will be released Oct 22, but I probably won't install if for a few months. Ordering it now simply saves me about $50 to $70 over buying it later. Amazon won't charge my credit card charge until it's shipped so I can easily cancel the order if I change my mind between now and October 22.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
See you guys all bought the OS's as they came out, and look what happened! In the garbage, went back to the old one, etc etc.
I always stayed one OS behind, and have never really had a problem with any of them. ME worked great for me while XP users were complaining. XP worked great for me while MC users were cursing, and so on. In this case, when I bought my Dells, I did not have a choice in the matter. I thought, when ordering, I could get MC edition and stick with it, but at the last second they changed and stopped offering it. I got lucky in that Vista Home Premium on my Latitude 1720 works great, but it took me two weeks of work to get Vista Home Basic working right on my kids Latitude 1525's.
Windows 7 the last one? I seriously doubt it. I am sure I will be happy to say within the next couple of years that W7 is working great for me while everyone is cursing W8, LOL!