Vinyl LP's Making a Comeback!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Vinyl LP's, which once dominated the music world from around the '20s to the '90s, are on their way to making a serious comback!

The demand for them has been made, and record co's are responding by reproducing some of them again.

The vinyl LP's gave up the ghost and had went out of production in favor of CD's in the '90s because the CD's are more compact and easier to carry for listening to music just about anywhere - on the subway, bus and car.

The only vinyl LP's that could be bought were those that were already made and being sold by stores that sell them used. They were made in 7 ' 45 rpm & 33-1/3 rpm. Also, some of the 12" singles remixes of songs on records were made for 45 rpm operation as well.

Now they are back with a vengeance! :applause:

buckytom

Grill Master
where did you hear that, sherman?

i seriously doubt that it will have much of an impact. maybe a niche market, but technology rarely goes in reverse.

but hey, maybe there's a market for wax cylinders...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Apparently, vinyl is still selling. Over 1 million sold this year already. Still that is a small number considering a popular artist or band sells that many CDs in a month. But heck, I didn’t even know they were still turning vinyl out!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/music/6488087.html

But, if they ever prefect this levitating record player, I just may go back to vinyl.

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/06/void-lp-player.php

2ihrplu.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
ya know, there's something to be said about having to buy a whole album, rather than just download a song or two.

i was just speaking to some very young guys at work recently who were making fun of 60's and 70's bands like led zeppelin and the stones. but the sum total of their arguement was lacking since all they knew was "stairway" and "sympathy for the devil".

so i turned them on to old copies of "zep 4" and "hot rocks", and they were amazed. i told them to ignore the songs they knew, and listen to "when the levee breaks" and "goin to california", or "midnight rambler" and "wild horses".

i told them that i would never have known these great tunes if i didn't have to buy the whole album. and the bands probably wouldn't have been as great if they didn't have to create an entire work, rather than just a piece.

that, and the crossroads deals with you know who...

smoke king

Banned
Vinyl has never gone out of fashion with me, I've got somewhere around 700 Lps on the shelf right now. I've literally been pissing my money away on candy and records for the last 40 years!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
where did you hear that, sherman?

i seriously doubt that it will have much of an impact. maybe a niche market, but technology rarely goes in reverse.

but hey, maybe there's a market for wax cylinders...

It was on one of Boston's local network newscasts the other day.

TexasGirl, I still have a whole lot of LP'S and a turntable as well. I like to play some of them now and then and reminice back to the '60s, '70s, '80s and the '90s. Especially disco music! :wink:

buckytom

Grill Master
i remember my dad's technics turntable.

he was always so afraid if wearing out his vinyl records that he had the balance on the swing arm adjusted so light that it would skip if you just walked through the room.

and my mom complained that he spent more on the diamond stylus than on her diamond.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I also have a Technics turntable.

Replaced an earlier one with the same brand and model.

Sadly, Technics isn't around any more. They given up the ghost. My whole stereo system was Technics until the receiver and doubledeck cassette recorder had to be replaced.

They were replaced with Sony components. The 5-disk CD player, equalizer and speakers are still Technics.

GoNativegal

DW still has his stereo he got for his 14th birthday, it is currently downstairs. It has two cassette players, AM/FM, a turntable, and really big speakers. It actually has really good sound to it, but I have no idea who made it.
He said he used to record songs off the radio onto the cassettes to make their own mix cassettes.

smoke king

Banned
I also have a Technics turntable.

Same here. I have an SL-1400 Technics table that I bought in 1976-I've been updating the cartridges through the years, but it still works like brand new! Easily the best piece of electronics gear I've ever owned.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I remember my very 1st record player.

It was sort of a child's player, and all-in-one unit in '66.

Garrard used to make great turntables, but now THEY'RE gone!

And because vinyl LP's weren't being made, most of those electronic co's had stopped mass-producing turntables and only make a few.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wonder if this means our old LP's will be worth anything? I have hundreds. They are all stored away. I haven't played one for over 10 years. Much of it I have re-bought in CD format. RIAA makes out big time. :angry:

While I can't bear to part with my vinyl, I'm not sure why I'm keeping them. I had thoughts of digitizing them with my computer but I lost my turntable in a move long ago. It was a Kenwood. Good player but I don't know what happened to it.

I know afficianautos hear more with vinyl but I don't. So I do not see the advantage, plus I like the convenience of CD or mp3 tunes.

I agree about many missing out on some great music if they just buy one song by the artist. I savored getting the LP and digesting it. Those were the days. :D

On another note .... I'm starting a new forum on music. All types of music. It is open now but I'm still working on design and the general forums overall. If interested ck out: http://www.netmusictalk.com

leolady

Vinyl has never gone out of fashion with me, I've got somewhere around 700 Lps on the shelf right now. I've literally been pissing my money away on candy and records for the last 40 years!!

Me too! I love my vinyl collection and old stereo system!:wub:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm not giving up mine either!

Took too long to build them up and went through a lot of blood, sweat & tears.

Several stereo systems were stolen from me! People broke into the apt to steal them. Was people who I knew. Bad company and drug addicts that would steal valuable electronic equipment to sell and get money for crack!! I've left them all and moved on.

They (LP's) are collectors' items now.

Last edited:

suziquzie

I think the last record I bought was Wham!.....
Or maybe We Are the World......

with my very own allowance!!!!
:)

Shermie

Site Supporter
I HAVE We Are the World on a 12" single. The song is great!!

Sported an elite all-star cast of great singers from Michael Jackson to Elton John to Stevie Wonder Cindi Lauper and Ray Charles!! Came out around '85 or so.

leolady

That is another thing we have in common Sherman!

Retro Kitchens
Soul Food
Collecting vinyl records

My collection consists of Jazz, Blues, Rhythm & Blues, Gospel, and Soul music -- running the gamut from 1930s to 1980s. I have everything from 78s to 45s to LPs to 8 tracks to cassettes and CDs.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Only thing is, I don't have 8-track tapes any more or the player.

8-track tapes were dropped in favor of the small cassette tapes, which has also replaced the big reel-to-reel tapes BTW.

Last edited: