Ingredient Showcase ... Bread

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This is a Showcase of a single ingredient.

Each entry should revolve around the showcase ingredient.

There are no strict rules just a single dish or a meal involving the showcased ingredient.

When possible entry should include your recipe/instructions (or a link to your recipe). Pictures of your entry are always welcome and would be wonderful but not mandatory.

Let's have fun with this!!

And the star of this Showcase is ... Bread (in any form - yeast, quick, Etc.)

bread_showcase.jpg

bread.jpg

Don't forget the BISCUITS!! LOL

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Re: Ingredient Showcase ... Bread September 2011

I hope to see LOTS of wonderful breads from folks (JoeV, Barb, Mama to name a few).

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

This is perfect! I've been looking for some pumpernickel flour. I haven't found any yet at the regular grocery stores and whole foods is quite a drive. I guess I can substitute rye? I'm wanting to make a pumpernickel onion bread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

This is perfect! I've been looking for some pumpernickel flour. I haven't found any yet at the regular grocery stores and whole foods is quite a drive. I guess I can substitute rye? I'm wanting to make a pumpernickel onion bread.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That sounds fantastic Mama!! YUMMY. I am hoping to make some pizza dough soon.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Thanks Joe! I was hoping I could use the rye flour.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

I can't wait to see your pumpernickel bread Mama.

I was hoping Barb would put the beautiful bread she baked last night in this thread.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I'm not sure if I was supposed to post this with a meal, because I made them last night to put in the freezer for many meals down the road. If I messed up just move/delete it.

Honey Whole Wheat bread, sandwich loaf style.

HoneyWholeWheat092311.jpg

HoneyWholeWheatCrumb092311.jpg

Recipe on my website.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

I'm not sure if I was supposed to post this with a meal, because I made them last night to put in the freezer for many meals down the road. If I messed up just move/delete it.

Honey Whole Wheat bread, sandwich loaf style.

HoneyWholeWheat092311.jpg

HoneyWholeWheatCrumb092311.jpg

Recipe on my website.
This is perfect Joe. That bread looks fantastic!!

Will you be making the long loaves that look like stalks of wheat. I can't remember the exact name. Those look beautiful. I would love to try some of your breads.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Just beautiful JoeV :applause:

I made dinner rolls to go with the leftovers last night. These rolls are getting to be on the menu fairly regularly at our house.

Attachments

• DinnerRolls.jpg
    DinnerRolls.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 328

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Just beautiful JoeV :applause:

I made dinner rolls to go with the leftovers last night. These rolls are getting to be on the menu fairly regularly at our house.
I WANT some of those little fluffy golden balls of yeasty delight!! LOL They look so good.

I am pretty sure I packed away a bread machine from my mom's house after she passed. I will need to look for it. I am pretty sure there was NO bread machine booklet with instructions or recipes though.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

There's not a whole lot to using a bread machine Peepers. They are pretty much all the same. Put the liquids in first, then the flour followed by the rest of the dry ingredients and then the yeast on top. Hit the dough cycle and wait about an hour. I never use mine to bake in. I just shape the bread/rolls and let them rise a second time and then bake. Homemade bread doesn't get any easier than that.

Phiddlechik

Very, very easy.... refrigerated biscuits (small/original size) cut in half, tossed with bacon grease and shredded cheddar, seasoned with some black pepper. Bake.

Attachments

• DSCN9539.jpg
    DSCN9539.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 336

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Beautiful dinner rolls, Mama.

Peeps, I think you were referring to my Epi-Style Baguettes. these can be made with either a basic French or Italian bread recipe or any other bread you choose to make them. It's all about the baguette shape and cutting the Epi just before baking them. Put any seeds/toppings on the dough before cutting them. An egg wash will hold them on there nicely. Most of my bread recipes are on my website shown in my signature block below.

Baguettes090511.jpg

They can also be made as a mini-Epi just by making skinny dough logs. I just use half the dough of a regular baguette, so you end up with twice as many minis.

EpiBaguette-2-1.jpg

P1030136.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Very, very easy.... refrigerated biscuits (small/original size) cut in half, tossed with bacon grease and shredded cheddar, seasoned with some black pepper. Bake.

OMG, I'm hoping you post the recipe for these puppies. I have a pint of bacon grease and a pint of chicken schmaltz in the fridge. I'll bet either one would be great.

Phiddlechik

That was the recipe....
The chicken one would be great with more pepper and some sage.
Eating them now. The grease kind of separates, but when it sits, it soaks back in, LOTS of flavor. Use as much as you dare...

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

That was the recipe....
The chicken one would be great with more pepper and some sage.
Eating them now. The grease kind of separates, but when it sits, it soaks back in, LOTS of flavor. Use as much as you dare...
WOW! It doesn't get any more simple than that. I'll have to try it with homemade biscuits the next time I make them. You also just gave me a great idea for my canoe/camping trip this coming weekend on the Clarion River in PA. I can use the store-bought biscuits and make them in the dutch oven. There are 14 of us going for three days and two nights on the river, so I can make up a double batch before filling the dutch ovens with other food. I'll keep them warm in foil next to the fire, or use them for appetizers.

Phiddlechik

They are good at room temperature, too. Cheese on the outside gets kind of crispy. I didn't put in other ingredients (like crubled bacon) because I didn't want those bits to fall off while eating them. One could also add some dried onions, they would stick with the cheese, I think. Try onions and swiss (with the bacon grease...mmmm).

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

That looks fantastic. Cut the biscuits only in half and toss the halves with the grease and cheese, then how do you form them?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Beautiful dinner rolls, Mama.

Peeps, I think you were referring to my Epi-Style Baguettes. these can be made with either a basic French or Italian bread recipe or any other bread you choose to make them. It's all about the baguette shape and cutting the Epi just before baking them. Put any seeds/toppings on the dough before cutting them. An egg wash will hold them on there nicely. Most of my bread recipes are on my website shown in my signature block below.

Baguettes090511.jpg

They can also be made as a mini-Epi just by making skinny dough logs. I just use half the dough of a regular baguette, so you end up with twice as many minis.

EpiBaguette-2-1.jpg

P1030136.jpg
Thats them!! They look so good!! I am hoping to go to the storage place and find that bread maker so I can make the dough quick and easy. Hopefully it is one that has a dough cycle and not one that just does loaves start to finish.

Phiddlechik

Peep- form them? I threw it all into a pyrex baking dish (round), and tossed it together. They are still in the baking dish in the photo (notice the reflection).
Ta-da.

p.s. I like to use the "flaky" biscuits as they already pull apart easily. If you use jumbo biscuits, cut them into fourths.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Peep- form them? I threw it all into a pyrex baking dish (round), and tossed it together. They are still in the baking dish in the photo (notice the reflection).
Ta-da.

p.s. I like to use the "flaky" biscuits as they already pull apart easily. If you use jumbo biscuits, cut them into fourths.
Oh ok. So it is basically one big pull apart "biscuit". I have the bacon grease, a tube of buttermilk biscuits but no cheese. :sad: Need to put that on the list. I bet this would be a great side with chili. Thank you

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Reminds me of the bubble pizza I've made before Phid, using a can of Grands biscuits.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Bubble Pizza

1 can Grand biscuits
1 small jar Ragu sauce
1 small onion chopped
fresh grated Parmesan
1/2 c shredded mozzarella
oregano
basil

Quarter the biscuits (will make 32 walnut sized dough pieces)
Arrange them in a casserole so they are all touching.
Pour sauce on, add onion, parmesan and herbs.
Bake 375 for 20 minutes, add mozzarella and bake an additional 10 minutes.

2010-01-04 16-27-56.109.jpg

2010-01-04 16-35-05.454.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Herb Garlic Baguettes
That looks absolutely gorgeous Barb! I don't remember seeing a shot of the inside before. WOW beautiful. I love the flavor of onion and garlic breads the most. Have you ever used this loaf to make garlic bread? And can you post a link to your recipe please? Thank you

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

HELP!! LOL

My hub and girl found the bread machine. I only gave it a quick glance but I don't think it has a dough cycle. Do they all have "just" a dough cycle and I have missed it? Is there something I need to do etc to find a menu somewhere on it? I HAVE NEVER EVEN LOOKED at a bread machine before. If there ISN'T a dough cycle is there a way to stop it it and take the dough out before it bakes (WITHOUT breaking the machine)? I will clean it up and inspect it later.