Member Spotlight - Cuisinette!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's been awhile since we had a Member Spotlight, so we are particularly delighted to present a Spotlight on a wonderful contributer to NCT ...... CUISINETTE!!

Tell us a little about yourself - your family or household, kids, pets, occupation, etc.
I am 47 year young; I have no children or pets… and I am loved, that’s very important.

OK, let’s back up a little.

I was born on a hot summer day, in a small Romanian village just west of the border with Russia. I was delivered by the veterinarian, he was attending a cow in the neighborhood and he arrived just in time before I almost hit the floor and I had my umbilical cord cut with a hatchet. Nice start… huh?
Later I found out from the veterinarian that I come in to this world with an attitude, both fists in the air and a mouth full of liquid that I spat between his eyes… LOL
My mother took off and I was raised by my maternal grandparents with lot of love and the wisdom that shaped me into the person I am today.
Life in the country was the most important school I could ever attend. Thanks to both my grandparents and my best childhood friend (the veterinarian) I am now a walking encyclopedia of knowledge.
Long before I could attend school I learned to read. Almost every day, in his daily duties the veterinarian would pick me up and teach me to read, count and everything about the life of animals.
I did my primary education (4 grades) in the village.

Then I moved to other schools. I was on my own @sixteen, I made my way in life by working and going to school, finished my high school, got into college (Architecture) and nearly graduated when the Romanian revolution happened. Six month later I was forced by the political events to flee the country. I made it into Hungary, and then I was granted entry into United States.

I lived eight years in New York City, where I have done lots of jobs, and then I had a construction company for four years, mostly interior renovation.
Then I moved to Boise Idaho in spring of 1999 and been here ever since.

I was married couple of times, don’t want marriage anymore… now I enjoy being in love without the commitment. I have a wonderful boyfriend who loves and spoils me.

What part of the world do you live in?
Boise, Idaho it is where I feel at home. I love the outdoors sports and activities; I found all of them in one place.

How did you find the NCT community?
I believe I saw the light on… and the door was open, I was curious :)

Do you have any hobbies besides cooking?
I am addicted to cookbooks and kitchen gadgets; passionate about cross stitch, knitting, crocheting, weaving, tatting, traveling, any outdoor activities, and reading.
There is no way I can sit for a while without doing something with my hands… I would go crazy. I bring my crafts with me no matter where I go.

If you could choose any profession or occupation, what would it be and why?
Acting, I think I was born an actor… I am very hyperactive, inventive.

How and why did you choose your Username? What does it mean?
Cuisinette… I believe is French for “small kitchen”… I cook and bake as good no matter the size of the kitchen.

What is a typical day like for you?
I love to wake up early so I can use every minute of the daylight. I sleep 6 hours the most. I never sit so I am always on the go.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Coming to US. This was also my grandfather’s dream, in a way I like to believe I achieved his dream too. I made a promise to him, that I would touch all the borders/coasts of US, and last year I finally did it.

Give us 5 words that describe you.
Highly perceptive, humble, honest, determined, altruistic.

Name 5 things that would be on your "bucket list".
I had enough in my life; the only think I really want before I leave this planet is to see a real UFO, maybe they’ll beam me up… hehehe

Name 5 things you can't live without.
Love, respect, consideration, honesty, dedication.

Who is your role model and why?
My grandparents… I could raise them a statue if I could. They lived a hard working life and never complained. They gave 200% to everything in their life.

Tell us one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to know.
I was a member of a hang gliding club in college.

What would the child you once were think of the adult you have become?
What the hell happened to you?

What is the best moment of your life so far?
Moving to Boise changed my life, I am happy.

How and at what age did you start cooking?
I think I was 2 years an a half, my grandma was making “cozonac” (a holiday sweet bread) she asked me to help knead the dough, hoping to get me involved in this art, her bad luck was when she turned her back to me for a few moments, I thought my little hands were getting tired… so I used my feet, shoes and all, doing the army walk in the dough.
This was actually the result of my grandpa teaching me to step on the grapes when he was making the wine... in my little head I thought that was OK for kneading the dough as well.

Do you have a signature dish or one that you make especially well?
Oh no, not just one… all the dishes must be done especially well. I frequently say “if I don’t like it, you won’t see it”.

What is your favorite spice?
Spice: Garlic
Herb: Lovage

What 2 cooking tools/gadgets/appliances would you swap from your kitchen and what would you swap them for?
Juicer and waffle maker in exchange for a rare cookbook.

What is your favorite restaurant meal?
Anything seafood.

What would your last meal be if you could choose anything at all?
Seafood… and lots of it.

If you could host a dinner party with 6 well-known guests, living or dead, who would they be and what would you serve?
Princes Diana
Bette Davis
Albert Einstein
Chief Joseph
Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn
Ronald Regan

I would serve hors d'oeuvres, turtle soup, and pan seared chicken with wine sauce over polenta, and for dessert floating islands.

Who would you most like to prepare a meal for and why? What would you serve?
Jean-François Vatel, we have so much in common, my table must be perfect for my guest, and if I fail to do so, that it’s a disgrace for me.
I would like to cook one of my favorite recipes… butter broiled shrimps.

Who would you most like to have prepare a meal for you?
Hiroyuki Sakai

100 years from now, how would you like to be remembered?
I want to touch people’s hearts. If it affects someone and makes them pause for a moment, then I did my job.

Attachments

• Cuis 1.jpg
    Cuis 1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 974
  • Cuis 2.jpg
    Cuis 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Cuis 3.jpg
    Cuis 3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Cuis 4.jpg
    Cuis 4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Cuis 5.jpg
    Cuis 5.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Cuis 6.jpg
    Cuis 6.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Cuis 7.jpg
    Cuis 7.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,058
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
What an absolutely fascinating life you have led Cuisinette! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Cuisinette, thanks so much for sharing your magical life (lives) with us! You have truly bridged two worlds (at least) and are the better for it. I so much appreciate your contributions to our group, and I am so glad you are here!

buckytom

Grill Master
i couldn't say it better than karen if i spent a month thinking about what to say, cuis!

you are a true romanian beauty!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I sense a lot of bravery in you, Cuisinette, starting in your earliest years. I would have liked to have met your grandparents and the veterinarian, angels all.

Cuisinette

Thank you all very much for your beautiful words.

I have to add, that my life is been somehow dramatic... but as you noticed Buzz, I had people in my life that made it better by giving me unconditional love.

I was a little cautious to write in details my sad moments, and they were a lot.

Starting with my birth and mom taking off... now she is trying to be in my life... and I don’t know her, I don't think I want to know her... she is an alcoholic and a sentimental profiteer.

The revolution gave me a lot of scars, I lost one of my best friends (my little cousin), and we were like brother and sister. You see, we never knew our fathers… his died before he was born, and mine … who knows.
My cousin was a soldier at the time, he got shot in the heart by a sniper; the same morning he was shot, I got shot in the upper left leg, just a flesh wound but the emotional scar for going to recover his body was much worst. I can’t really describe in words what I saw in the morgue.

It took years to be able to let all that go.
But, in the end I am a survivor; there is nothing in this world that can put me down for long.

“What doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger”.

Cuisinette

i couldn't say it better than karen if i spent a month thinking about what to say, cuis!

you are a true romanian beauty!

BT, I added that snow cave picture with you in mind.
That was February 2010 for the scouts winter survival skills.

You know, is not just for decor, you build the shelter one weekend and sleep in it the next. I think this was the craziest thing I ever done in my life, sleep in an ice cave @19F. :yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cuisinette, your Spotlight has been an incredible inspiration to me personally.

You have overcome so much - and you are overflowing with courage and joy of life!

Thank you for sharing YOU with us!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome Cuisi!!!!!! :wow: :wow: I've very impressed. First off just getting to the US, spending 8 years in NYNY, and then making the jump from NYNY to Boise. What a change, and I'd have to agree I'm sure I would fit better into the lifestyle of Boise better than NYNY. :eek:

What an interesting dinner party it would be with those six guests. Can I come too? Pretty Please.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Very inspirational profile. Thanks for allowing us to see into your life. Your life is a witness that anyone can achieve much in life if they are willing to work for it.

Deelady

“What doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger”.

Your story is a true testament to that Cuisinette! Thank you so much for sharing! It is a honor to meet you.
I believe its the scars in life that truly make us who we are. I'm sure you cherrish every one :)

And I too would choose Albert Einstein...not for his brillance but because of his personality. I always pictured him to be like a quirky grandfatherly type that just keeps you smiling with his witty remarks! ;)

Dee