Peanut Butter Pound Cake

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I got this recipe from the Penzy's Catalog that came in the mail the other day. It's a recipe by Patty Wise Noble. Below are the pictures of the one that I made and sent home with DD because I knew better than to keep it around the house :lol:

1 Cup of butter, softened
1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
3 cups Sugar
5 eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 cups of Cake Flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Cup milk

Icing:
12 oz. premium semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 Cup of heavy cream

Lightly grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan and set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and peanut butter. Add the sugar and bat until light in color. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. The mixture will be light in and fluffy. Add the vanilla.

Ina smaller bowl. sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix the batter until smooth and creamy. Pour into the cake pan. Place in a the COLD oven. Set the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. and bake until a tester inserted in the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour and 35 minutes. If you choose to preheat the oven, bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Please note that all ovens are different, so check the cake's progress after 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cake cool in the pan for 30 minutes before turning out on a rack and cool completely before icing.

For the icing: Place the chocolate chips in a small mixing bowl. Heat the cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan until boiling. Pour over the chocolate chips and stir until creamy and smooth. Let cool for 2-3 minutes. Brush any loose crumbs from the cake. Place the cooling rack on a clean baking sheet to catch the drips. Pour the icing evenly over the cake, allowing it to cascade and cover the cake. Move the cake rack to another clean baking sheet. Scrape the drips from the first baking sheet, reheat and pour over cake.

Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 1 hr 25 min. - 1 hr. 35 min.

serves: 16

Attachments

• peanutbutterpoundcake-1.jpg
    peanutbutterpoundcake-1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 203
  • peanutbutterpoundcake-2.jpg
    peanutbutterpoundcake-2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy shirt!

You are on WW and you made THAT????

You're killing me, here, Mama!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Honestly, it was good. I wouldn't call it amazing but it was good. I thought it could have been a little more peanut buttery (is that even a word? :lol:) The chocolate glaze, on the other hand, was amazing.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I saved up all of my extra weekly points for tonight's dinner. I had one bite and sent the rest home with DD. I never would have made it if it had to stay here :lol:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That's a beautiful cake, Mama! The texture looks very smooth and moist, and the frosting! Oh my. Jerry and I both love peanut butter with chocolate, and actually invented a new pb/choc cookie this week. As soon as I have time, I'll put the recipe together and post it.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That is beautiful Mama!! I want to copy this but could you please double check the baking time.

Guts

holy cow mama that looks like something I'd like to try. I just bought creamy peanut butter and some honey roasted creamy peanut butter also picked up a bag of Reese's peanut butter chips might be a bit much peanut butter LOL . I also have the chocolate chips and cake flour. The time looks about right at 325° to me. I don't know about using a cold oven seems like the better might lose some of its airiness sitting while the oven heats up to 325° just my opinion.

Mama I have a question. Did you use cake flour? I have purasnow General Mills cake flour. Or did you use AP flour for your cake? also, which up and method did you use preheated or cold? and my last question right now. Did you double the frosting or is that one one batch like the recipe states?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My only complaint with the cake is that I would have liked a more peanut buttery taste. I don't know how it would effect the cake if you swapped out the butter for more peanut butter. I may try that next time.

Anyway...to answer your questions, I used Swans Down Cake Flour and started it in a cold oven. It took about an hour and 30 minutes in my oven. They said in the write-up about the cake that they tried it both ways and that the cake that was started in the cold oven was actually easier to ice so that was the way that I chose to bake it. Lastly, that was one batch of frosting. I had a HUGE bag of chocolate chips so I weighed them out.

Guts

thanks mama for clearing that up. I'll use cake flour and I think I want to try the preheated method, I will post my results here if I don't screw it up. I'm not sure about swapping peanut butter for butter could change the hydration of the recipe. Looks like the texture and moisture level of your cake came out perfect by looking at the picture. Looking at the picture sure looks like this top actually the bottom of your cake sure came out nice and flat or did you trim it. you know, now that I think about it may be that's a result of starting in a cold oven?

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I didn't trim it and it's not flat either :lol: The batter was light and thick so I tried to spread it as evenly as possible before baking.

The texture and moisture level was perfect. I was very pleased with it.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Looking at the picture sure looks like this top actually the bottom of your cake sure came out nice and flat or did you trim it. you know, now that I think about it may be that's a result of starting in a cold oven?

Guts, that shape comes from baking it in a bundt pan.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I don't have a bundt pan. Can I use several loaf pans or a 9 X 13?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't know Peeps...several loaf pans might work. SS would probably be better able to answer your question than me.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Traditionally, pound cake was always baked in loaf pans, so that shouldn't be a problem.

A standard 10 inch bundt pan has a capacity of about 12 cups (give or take).

Loaf pans come in different sizes. This would probably work well in 2 or maybe 3 loaf pans, depending on the sizes. Fill them with water and see how much they hold. Just watch your baking time.

I wouldn't use a 9x13. I think the thin, flat cake would be dry.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Traditionally, pound cake was always baked in loaf pans, so that shouldn't be a problem.

A standard 10 inch bundt pan has a capacity of about 12 cups (give or take).

Loaf pans come in different sizes. This would probably work well in 2 or maybe 3 loaf pans, depending on the sizes. Fill them with water and see how much they hold. Just watch your baking time.

I wouldn't use a 9x13. I think the thin, flat cake would be dry.
I have these size loaf pans:

9 X 5
7.5 X 3.5

Plus a couple of the mini ones.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
If you have 2 - 9x5's they'd work.
It might take 3 of the smaller ones.

If you just have one of each, I'd use both, plus one or 2 minis.

Just remember that they will all have different baking time, so you'll have to be careful!

Do you have an angel food tube pan? That would work.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Here's what it looks like before and after baking so you'll have an idea as to how much batter you want to put in each pan Peeps.

Attachments

• peanutbutterpoundcake-3.jpg
    peanutbutterpoundcake-3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 170
  • peanutbutterpoundcake-4.jpg
    peanutbutterpoundcake-4.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 182
  • peanutbutterpoundcake-5.jpg
    peanutbutterpoundcake-5.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 171

Guts

Finally got around to making this pound cake I used Skippy brand peanut butter, roasted honey nut type peanut butter. I baked it in a 325° preheated oven one hour and 30 minutes. was my cooking time. The frosting is still cooling. At this time. So I haven't cut into the cake yet but if it's half as good as the batter was O Yum. I'm going to re post mamas recipe that I used and have converted to grams. If anybody else uses a scale to bake. The cake had a very good rise to it, and made the house smell great. There was plenty of frosting to cover the cake, I was a little skeptical at first if there would be enough. But there is more than enough to cover the cake. Can't wait to cut into this maybe another hour so or maybe sooner. LOL

[FONT=&quot]Peanut Butter Pound Cake[/FONT]

I got this recipe from the Penzy's Catalog that came in the mail the other day. It's a recipe by Patty Wise Noble. Below are the pictures of the one that I made and sent home with DD because I knew better than to keep it around the house. Recipe from; Mama at NCT

1 Cup of butter, softened / 226 grams
1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter / 256 grams
3 cups Sugar / 603 grams
5 eggs / 55 each ± 275 grams ±
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract / 14 grams
3 cups of Cake Flour / 465 grams / @155 per cup/
1/2 tsp. baking powder / 3.4 grams
1/2 tsp. salt / 3.5 grams
1 Cup milk / 246 grams

Icing:
12 oz. premium semi-sweet chocolate chips / 340 grams
3/4 Cup of heavy cream / 177.375 grams / that's @ 236.5 per cup.

Lightly grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan and set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and peanut butter. Add the sugar and beat until light in color. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. The mixture will be light in and fluffy. Add the vanilla.

In a smaller bowl. sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix the batter until smooth and creamy. Pour into the cake pan. Place in a the COLD oven. Set the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. and bake until a tester inserted in the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour and 35 minutes. If you choose to preheat the oven, bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Please note that all ovens are different, so check the cake's progress after 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cake cool in the pan for 30 minutes before turning out on a rack and cool completely before icing.

For the icing: Place the chocolate chips in a small mixing bowl. Heat the cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan until boiling. Pour over the chocolate chips and stir until creamy and smooth. Let cool for 2-3 minutes. Brush any loose crumbs from the cake. Place the cooling rack on a clean baking sheet to catch the drips. Pour the icing evenly over the cake, allowing it to cascade and cover the cake. Move the cake rack to another clean baking sheet. Scrape the drips from the first baking sheet, reheat and pour over cake.

Baking time: 1 hr 25 min. - 1 hr. 35 min.
[FONT=&quot]Note: I used Skippy Roasted Honey Nut peanut butter for the one I made.

[/FONT]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 163

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Very nice Guts! It looks beautiful! I sent the one that I made home with DD. She said it was gone in no time.

Guts

Thank you mama and Karen
I sent about half of it next-door to my neighbors. They usually retaliate with some kind of Mexican food, which is always good.

Guts

So, how did you like it?

I liked it very much, I think you said in your earlier post that you wish you had more peanut butter flavor. I agree with you on that, but the [FONT=&quot]Roasted Honey Nut peanut butter[/FONT] I used had a great aroma. I think that smells are a part of the taste and I believe that type of butter I used helped with the flavor, or it's just me. But the overall pound cake was very good and would recommend your recipe to everyone, you never know until you try it right. thank you mama for posting this recipe. I have it saved in my files and will make again.:clap:

I like pound cakes and make them quite often chocolate marble one was good also but I have to say that hands-down favorite of mine is my apricot brandy pound cake. not a cheap cake to make but well worth the price in my opinion.