Franken-Pantry III

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry II was a success! A big thank you goes out to everyone that has joined in on the fun!

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16500

Now, let’s move on to Franken-Pantry III.

The first order of business is to stock the Pantry with 10 ingredients. So each person should post an ingredient that goes into the Pantry. Once there are 10 ingredients, the Pantry is full, and cooking can commence.

The Rules

1. Salt, Pepper, Water, and Oil are staples and considered stove-top items and are always available and need not be suggested. You are free to use those 4 items no matter what is in the Pantry.

2. Minor Change! You can only post one entry to the Pantry. Since we only have 10 slots in the Pantry, the most that could ever post in a Pantry is 10 people. By limiting everyone to only 1 post, it may take the Pantry longer to fill, but we will ensure that everyone that wants to participate gets a chance.

3. You can post items that were posted in previous Franken-Pantries.

4. Derivatives of an item can not be used, but can be made for use. For example, if wine is listed, you can’t just use “wine vinegar”. If cream is listed, you can’t just use butter, but you can MAKE butter or vinegar if you like.

5. Once 10 items have been posted, the Pantry will be locked and recipes can be made using as many or as few of the items from the 10 in the Pantry. But, other than the 4 staples (Salt, Pepper, Water, & Oil), you can ONLY use items in the Pantry. So if flour isn't listed, then you can't use it. Same goes for spices, if Cumin or Thyme aren’t listed, then you can't use them.

6. This mysterious Pantry has a walk-in cooler, so perishables like beef, chicken, crab, fish, milk, eggs, cream, butter, etc, can be posted.

7. Entries can be “open” or “restricted”. If you post “openly” such as beef, pork, chicken, fish, shellfish, etc, all cuts are assumed available. Open entries are something of an Iron Chef category, so if multiple versions of an item exist, they will be in the Pantry. Alternatively, you CAN post restrictively such as “crab” or “steak”, but the Pantry would be more accessible if you instead posted openly such as “crustacean” or “beef” - something to think about and it’s ultimately up to you.

8. Each “open” Pantry entry is something of a category unto itself. For example, if onion is posted, then any onion will be available: red, yellow, Vidalia, Spanish, pearl, shallot, scallion, etc. Imagine the pantry as an Iron Chef type room. In the spot where potatoes (open entry) are stored, all potatoes are there, Idaho, Russet, Red, Fingerling, Dried Potato Flakes, etc. But NOT sweet potatoes as that is a different animal (in a savory sense).

9, If you mean for an item to be restrictive, then please make note of that such as “Idaho Potato (restricted)” or “Chuck Roast (restricted)”. In doing that, the entry is limited to only Idaho Potatoes and no other kind of potato, and only Chuck Roast will be available, but no other cut of beef. If you don’t specifically list “restricted” in your entry, then the entry will be assumed open if multiple variations are available.

10. There's really no time limit for cooking from a Franken-Pantry. If you get around to making something, then post what you did. A month from now, someone may bump into this thread and want to cook from this pantry, so go ahead.

11. Cooking method is entirely up to you. Grill it, bake it, steam it, boil it, microwave it, serve it raw, etc.

12. Each Franken-Pantry is a stand alone Pantry. You can revisit any previous thread and cook something in THAT Pantry, but you can not bring items from one Pantry to another.

13. It's just for fun! That is the reason each open entry includes all variations of the entry such as “potato” means all potatoes, and “beef” means all cuts of beef. While Franken-Pantry is restrictive to 10 ingredients, it still strives to be approachable while also challenging you to put your thinking cap on.

So, start posting the ingredients you want or need in this Franken-Pantry. Remember, spices (other than salt and pepper) have to be posted in order to be used, so think of posting spices as well. I’ll start off.

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's a great start!

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread
2. Spinach
3. Butter

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Well, so far we can have a spinach sandwich! Would be nice if it could be accompanied by some....chicken? I know, I know - someone else has to do this. C'mon, everybody! Where are you?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That sandwich just got a lot more interesting! :biggrin:

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread
2. Spinach
3. Butter
4. Chicken

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting!

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread
2. Spinach
3. Butter
4. Chicken
5. Artichokes

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We changed the rules a bit so that only one post per person is allowed. Sorry about that. See #2 above. Vera, do you want to go with Garlic or Pasta, whatever your choice is fine with me.

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread
2. Spinach
3. Butter
4. Chicken
5. Artichokes
6. ???
7. Onions

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I hope you play Dee! Thanks for adding an ingredient!! Unless you mean for the chesse to be restricted to Parmesan only, I'll assume that all cheese is allowed?

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread
2. Spinach
3. Butter
4. Chicken
5. Artichokes
6. ???
7. Onions
8. Parmesan (Cheese)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The rules got changed so that only 1 post per person is allowed, so I'm waiting for Vera to confirm which of the two she posted she would like to stick with.

Kimchee, do you want your entry restricted, or open to all potatoes?

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread
2. Spinach
3. Butter
4. Chicken
5. Artichokes
6. ???
7. Onions
8. Parmesan (Cheese)
9. Potatoes

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I said bread, but noticed it was already there...so I changed it to pasta. Hope it's not too late.

Can I add lemon to the list?

Deelady

sure any cheese is fine and I have most of the ingredients so far so I should be able to participate :)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
does panko crumbs count since its made from bread?

I'd have to say no. Rule 4 says no derivatives can be used flat out. While you CAN make butter from cream or Bread Crumbs from bread, you can't just use a pre-made derivative. So, a little work is required. Which turned out great when Karen showed us how to make fresh sweet butter from Cream in FP1! :clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
oh...missed the rule change...

I guess stick with the garlic then.

Thank you!

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread
2. Spinach
3. Butter
4. Chicken
5. Artichokes
6. Garlic
7. Onions
8. Cheese
9. Potatoes

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry Adillio, Qsis got it.

Thanks everyone!! :clap:

Franken-Pantry III

1. Bread
2. Spinach
3. Butter
4. Chicken
5. Artichokes
6. Garlic
7. Onions
8. Cheese
9. Potatoes
10. Olives

That's it, the Pantry is locked! Let's cook!!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Which brings up a question, this is the first Franken Pantry that does not have a liquid for sauce / gravy, etc.

Is water a given?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Which brings up a question, this is the first Franken Pantry that does not have a liquid for sauce / gravy, etc.

Is water a given?

Yes. Rule #1 gives us all 4 staples for free use.

1. Salt, Pepper, Water, and Oil are staples and considered stove-top items and are always available and need not be suggested. You are free to use those 4 items no matter what is in the Pantry.