What I Found - Cast Iron Kettle

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Here's something that I found in the dark recesses of my kitchen cabinet. It needs to be cleaned up and don't know if it will ever be used again, but I think it's kind of neat. We don't have a lid for it. Hubby and his dad used to use it for frying fish and making stews over a campfire. Lol--I actually tried to put it in a garage sale one time, and Hubby nearly flipped out. I think it's a sentimental thing for him.

CastIronKettle.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cool, Cooksie!

Looks in great shape!

Too bad about not having the lid, though!

Lee

mhend

That is cool, Cooksie! I love cast iron. Wouldn't think of making cornbread in anything else but a cast iron skillet. :) I have an old milk pitcher that was my great, great grandmothers. I have it put securely in the back of the hutch in my dining room. I might have to be put away if it got broken. LOL!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I make cornbread in cast iron too, Mhend. Crispy crust...mmmmm :mrgreen:. One of these days I may think about trying to find a lid, but I can't see me using it any time soon.

PanchoHambre

Great find. Use it use it use it and it will reward you.

I am a CI nut. All started when I got my German/Jewish step-grandmom's old DO (blood got money but I got her real treasure) Thing had been unused for ages but the legacy of a great cook was with it. I have tons of CI now but the thing is still my favorite.. has not made a less than perfect dish yet... barely needed a dust off and a greasing.

No worries about the lid... just stick a CI skillet on top and you will be good to go.

Fry.. stew.. enjoy...

and dont clean it too much.. warm it up.. throw some kosher salt in there and scrub with a scrubbie. Then oil it up (lard is best) turn it upside down (place foil on lower rack) and bake hight temp for a couple hours.... then make bacon in it... lots of bacon and it will be happy and ready to cook for decades.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Geez, now I want to cook in it. Thanks, Pancho, for the cleaning up tips! I can do bacon :wub:.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Pyrex makes lids to fit. Try B B & B, or check at the thrift stores. I like glass as you don't have to open the lid to check the simmer. I use mine mostly for beans and ham and other stews.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That's so cool Cooksie.
I had a set of 4 cast iron cow shaped steak pans and donated them for a rummage sale years ago.
Kicking myself to this day.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's something that I found in the dark recesses of my kitchen cabinet. It needs to be cleaned up and don't know if it will ever be used again, but I think it's kind of neat. We don't have a lid for it. Hubby and his dad used to use it for frying fish and making stews over a campfire. Lol--I actually tried to put it in a garage sale one time, and Hubby nearly flipped out. I think it's a sentimental thing for him.

CastIronKettle.jpg

Looks like it was made by Lodge.

If so, you might want to go to their website and see if the lid is availible there.

Your hubby is right! I wouldn't want to get rid of it either!! To me, it looks pre-seasoned and ready to use. Nice & black!

I own a Lodge 12-inch cast iron skillet that oringinally didn't come with a lid at all. A glass lid came with a 12-inch skillet that once belonged to a set of pots. Got rid of the set, but I kept the glass lid, and it fits on top of the 12-inch cast iron skillet very nicely and perfectly!! :chef:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I make cornbread in cast iron too, Mhend. Crispy crust...mmmmm :mrgreen:. One of these days I may think about trying to find a lid, but I can't see me using it any time soon.

I do that as well, Cooksie!

I have a small 8-inch cast iron skillet that I always like to bake cornbread in. It doesn't have a lid, but I don't care. I wouldn't trade it for the world!! Love my cast iron cookware, even if it DOES look ugly to some people!!

Comes out of the oven nice and golden! :chef:

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to try something in it soon. Your jambalaya looks fantastic, Keltin.

Shermie

Site Supporter
You're welcome!

Yeah, I like the way that he did that as well! I'll be making some soon.

loboloco

CI is really the best way to cook. Just don't use scrub pads when you clean it or you will screw up the season on the pot.

PanchoHambre

Cast iron is cool.

VERY

QUOTE=loboloco;191764]CI is really the best way to cook. Just don't use scrub pads when you clean it or you will screw up the season on the pot.[/QUOTE]

Really? I find them along with kosher salt and a warm pan to be ideal when I gunk them up.

The main thing I love about CI is that you can abuse the hell out of it and Bacon always makes it better.