Reverse Sear on the grill

chowhound

I reverse seared one of those monster ribeyes on the grill again last night. Here's a breakdown.

I took the ribeye out of the freezer around 1:30 and set it on one of those aluminum thawing plates on the counter, flipping it every so often. It was thawed in about 3 hours. Then I cracked some pepper on it, put a lot of kosher salt on it, wrapped it back up and stuck it in the fridge for a couple hours.

I was also going to do a variation of JoeC's favorite mushroom sauce. I had picked up some shallots and some port wine earlier. First time shallot user. They smelled very strong when I was cutting them, but gave the kitchen an incredible aroma when they were sauteing in the butter and olive oil. So at first I was disappointed that I might as well have used a sweet onion, but there is definitely a difference. I added the sliced shrooms, wine and balsamic vinegar, but instead of the thyme and tarragon I added a little fresh rosemary. I also let it reduce down on low heat with the mushrooms in the sauce.

So, the spud got nuked for a minute and went on the grill direct over a medium flame. I had the grill running about 325F.
The steak went on indirect as I was preparing the other stuff. I had a remote probe in it to monitor.
I gave those grilled carrots a try, too. Not bad, but the sauce needs thickened so it sticks to them better.
At 105F I pulled the probe and turned the burners on under the steak. At this point I realized that I really need to clean my grill again (lol). The flames were a flying. The EVOO on the bread and sauce on the carrots wasn't helping things much either, but if you grill a lot, you deal with these things by working a bit faster and keeping the food moving.

The steak was tender, well seasoned from the dry salt brining, and pink all the way through, just like I like 'em. The mushroom sauce was awesome.

Attachments

• 2-21 raw ribeye.jpg
    2-21 raw ribeye.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 575
  • 2-21 ribeye spud.jpg
    2-21 ribeye spud.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 569
  • 2-21 shrooms shallots.jpg
    2-21 shrooms shallots.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 548
  • 2-21 ribeye spud carrots.jpg
    2-21 ribeye spud carrots.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 562
  • 2-21 plated dinner.jpg
    2-21 plated dinner.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,130
  • 2-21 plated dinnner pink.jpg
    2-21 plated dinnner pink.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 562

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL! Man, you can cook! And EAT!!! LOL!

That looks absolutely incredible, Fred! Nice going!

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Another reverse sear convert. :clap: Looks great so I think I'll sear my next ribeye on the outdoor grill instead of a grill pan. As to JoeC's mushroom sauce - I LOVE IT! :biggrin: :applause:

chowhound

Thanks, Lee :smile:

Buzz, after doing the reverse sear a few times, I think it's the only way to go with a "roast size" steak. I could just never get the hang of cooking steaks indoors though. I've got an internal clock or feel when grilling meat, I don't when using a combination of the oven and a hot pan.
And yeah, the mushroom sauce is going to get made a lot. Very tasty.

Calicolady

More pics! I think I'm jealous! (but a little thinner for it!)
Thanks, Chow. I think I could eat just the shrooms and carrot and would be happy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another bump for Dogboa.

Craig, both chowhound and High Cheese said (and this may be obvious) that this method was better for large, thick cuts.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh, Fred's glorious food!
Wonder where he got off to?
I know he parted ways with the other place a while ago.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We know. He's done that several times now. It ruins you for steaks cooked the regular way.

Dogboa

Another bump for Dogboa.

Craig, both chowhound and High Cheese said (and this may be obvious) that this method was better for large, thick cuts.

Lee

That is why I have the butcher cut a 3" thick rib-eye.:clap:

Johnny West

There are so many methods. Of late I've been doing what Mallmann instructed - over the coals, 6 minutes on one side and three on the other.