ISO a TNT recipe for Whoopie Pies

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking of making some old-fashioned Whoopie Pies for a friend's birthday next week-end.

I made them once as a kid and they were great, but I have no idea where that recipe is.

Anyone have a TNT recipe in your files?

Lee

Moxie

I scanned the Cooks Country recipe (ATK) but it's upside down. I emailed it to you instead of posting because I couldn't easily turn the book around in my scanner.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Lee, here is a video with the recipe as well.
We've gotten authentic whoopie pies around here from Amish bakers in Indiana, (Berne and Shipshewana - respectively) when I used to go with my Mother and sister when they were still alive.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VACRvd4gtM[/ame]

Recipe: Chocolate Whoopie Pies
1½ cups shortening
3 cups sugar
3 egg yolks, beaten
3 teaspoons vanilla
1½ cups buttermilk
(or sour milk)
3 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1½ cups hot water
1½ cups cocoa
6 cups flour

Preheat oven at 350˚. Cream together shortening and sugar. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in buttermilk. Add baking soda, salt, hot water, cocoa, and flour. Beat well. Drop by table spoon onto greased cookie sheet and bake 12 minutes. Makes approximately 40 whoopie pies.

Filling
1½ cups white shortening
(not butter flavored)
5 tablespoons milk
3 cups powdered sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
3 egg whites, beaten stiff

Cream shortening and milk. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; mix well. Beat in egg whites until filling is fluffy. To assemble pies, spread a heaping spoonful of filling on flat side of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That one looks good, too, Sass! Thank you!

Will have to look at both side by side. I'd rather not buy too many ingredients that I'll only use once.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I used the Amish recipe that Sass Muffin posted (I must have mistakenly deleted the one Moxie sent me - couldn't find it anywhere) and had problems with it.

Now, I am not an accomplished baker by any means. I MIGHT bake something once a year. So, someone more experienced might not have run into the trouble I did.

I used Crisco in the batter, figuring that if I had to use it for the filling, I might as well use it for the cake. Not sure if that was correct. BTW, I do NOT like working with Crisco - trying to clean up after it, even using Dawn, spread the grease around for awhile before finally getting it off.

My baking soda was probably old. I'm guessing that was a problem.

The cakes either slid into each other if the cookie sheet was heavily greased, or stuck to the pan if there wasn't enough grease.

Any insights from you expert bakers?

Dropping by tablespoon meant a LOT of cakes!!! Way more than 80, but I lost count, since so many of them were "fails" - at least half of them.

Had to use part butter for the filling, since I ran out of Crisco. That was fine.

I managed to find enough good cakes to make a couple dozen whoopee pies. And they tasted great!

My friend was thrilled to get a platter of them for her "retro" - themed birthday.

I'm going to make a trifle with the "fails".

Lee

Attachments

• Whoopies 1 sliding.JPG
    Whoopies 1 sliding.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Whoopies 2 pile of fails.JPG
    Whoopies 2 pile of fails.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Kathy's birthday 2015 with whoopie pies.JPG
    Kathy's birthday 2015 with whoopie pies.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 178

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Whoaaa Lee! haha!

I'm happy to hear that the taste was there.
They sure look good and your friend looks mighty happy.

Moxie

So many differences between the 2 that it's impossible to say what happened.

Here's the ATK one - someone will have to turn it around.

Attachments

• Cooks COuntry Whoopie Pies.pdf
    437.8 KB · Views: 251

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
So many differences between the 2 that it's impossible to say what happened.

Here's the ATK one - someone will have to turn it around.

The file won't open for me, don't know about anyone else.

Here it is.
----------------------------------------

http://www.food.com/recipe/whoopie-pies-another-one-236684

This recipe contains no raw egg, no shortening or oil, it's all butter baby. I have tried another zaar recipe for whoopie pies, but I like this one. It is from Cook's Country.com. Don’t be tempted to bake all the cakes on one baking sheet; the batter needs room to spread in the oven.

For Cakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened but still cool
1 large egg, toom temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

For Filling
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened but still cool (1 1/2 sticks)
1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1⁄8 teaspoon table salt
2 1⁄2 cups marshmallow cream

Directions

For the cakes:
Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
With electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in egg until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, then beat in vanilla.
Reduce speed to low and beat in one-third of flour mixture, then half of buttermilk. Repeat with half of remaining flour mixture, then remaining buttermilk, and finally remaining flour mixture. Using rubber spatula, give batter final stir.
Using 1/3-cup measure, scoop 6 mounds of batter onto each baking sheet, spacing mounds about 3 inches apart.
Bake until cakes spring back when pressed, 15 to 18 minutes, switching and rotating pans halfway through baking.
Cool completely on baking sheets, at least 1 hour.
For the filling:
With electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Beat in vanilla and salt. Beat in Fluff until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate filling until slightly firm, about 30 minutes. (Bowl can be wrapped and refrigerated for up to 2 days.)
Dollop 1/3 cup filling on center of flat side of 6 cakes. Top with flat side of remaining 6 cakes and gently press until filling spreads to edge of cake.
Whoopie pies can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Update:

I saved all the whoopee pie cookies that broke and made a trifle out of them.

Layered the cookies with two layers of instant chocolate pudding (one box), three layers of Cool Whip and three layers of large chocolate chips.

A delicious SAVE from a FAIL!

Lee

Attachments

• Whoopie Pie trifle.JPG
    Whoopie Pie trifle.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 156