1 Bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
2 T Butter
2 T flour
1 cup cream or milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
hot sauce (if desired) to taste - I usually put in 5-6 drops or "dashes"

In a Dutch Oven, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot, bell pepper and celery and cook 5 - 6 minutes until tender. Add 4 cups of chicken stock along with green beans, corn, peas and potato. Reduce heat to medium low. Add Bay leaf, cover and cook for 20 minutes. In another small pan, melt 2 T butter for white sauce, whisk in 2 T flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add 1 C cream (you can substitute milk or 2% if cream is a bit too hearty for you) and cook until mixture thickens. Stir this mixture into the soup. Stir in more broth if you like or leave as is. Stir in garlic, Cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir in spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Remove Bay leaf and stir in hot sauce if using. Serve hot with corn bread or biscuits. A nice side salad makes this a very filling and delicious meal.

Enjoy - Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ian, I added the butter, flour and cream to your ingredients list (because I was looking for the "creamy" part in the list).

Sounds wonderful! I'd add dill.

Lee

Ian M.

Hi, Lee - Thank you............I think. To a soup of this type, anyone can and many do, add whatever they like to have in there - up to and including the kitchen sink. This is a "chowder" of sorts that suits the appetites and environment of fishermen in this area - it's warming and filling and as long as they have the pint and the bowl of chips - these guys are usually happy with whatever we might put into the kettle. As far as the "creamy" part of the recipe - I'm afraid I just assumed that anyone reading the recipe would realize that the "creamy" part was, obviously, the white sauce and it didn't need to be included in the ingredients list. Sorry about that. I'm just not too great a fan of redundancy in things, I'm afraid. Incidentally, it is the unqualified choice of our entire kitchen staff at both the hotel and the pub - a thumbs up on adding dill - probably more then most people would add, I suspect. This is a favourite herb around here! Fallon also just loves it and puts it in nearly everything. Especially her scrumptious breads that she supplies to both places. Ever had dill in breakfast eggs? Now that's good eating, too. And she puts it in homemade sausage mixes and in potato dishes she creates, as well. Good stuff. btw, and just so you'll know - I have no problem whatsoever with having someone "editing" anything I post on the forum - especially you. Always in good taste (pun intended). Now I believe I'll take my buddy, Big "G" (a large pint of Guinness) and slide out into the back garden to enjoy a mild evening in peace for a few minutes. Most especially when DW discovers that I've obliquely suggested that she might post some of her recipes here, involving her obsession with dill........................

Ian :clap: