Mobile Food

Saw & heard about this on the local evening News tonight. The BBQ looked really good! (On an unrelated FN show(?), there was a Belgium Waffle 'Coach'. I would definitely try one of those.)

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/los-angeles-food-trucks-united/2216354635

http://laist.com/2010/01/03/food_truck_lot_to_debut_tomorrow_in.php

The Santa Monica Food Truck Lot (so far) has only issued one Tweet: "Get ready for a new place to eat in Santa Monica," they declared on the last day of 2009. And then over the weekend, Barbie's Q revealed that this endeavor was due to launch on Monday, and that they and about a half-dozen food trucks were slated to be part of it. So what is the SM Food Truck Lot?

Situated at the corner of 14th and Santa Monica Boulevard [map], the lot is just that: An empty parking lot on the property that last belonged to Infiniti of Santa Monica. Renting the lot out for temporary use seems to be the property's best and most recent calling, since the space just served a stint as a Christmas Tree lot.

The lot is "following" close to 20 food trucks via their Twitter page, including a few of the mobile eateries in their pre-launch stages like Derb's Gourmet, and some whose schedules indicate they won't be serving on Monday, like The Grilled Cheese Truck and Fressers, so besides Barbie's Q it's not clear who will be participating tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the lot described as a "mobile food court."

After the recent troubles many trucks encountered while serving lunch parked on Wilshire Boulevard in the Mid-City area, it will be interesting to see if this Lot can not only sustain the speculated ebbing popularity of the mobile food trend but also not ruffle the feathers of restaurant operators near the lot in Santa Monica.

foodtruckflyer.jpg

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
and soon coming to a neighborhood near you Bam's BBQ

My brother & i have been talking about starting a mobile bbq truck in So.Cal...not sure if it will be at the end of this summer or more than likely next year.

i like the idea of having them all in one location...you can get the best of all worlds in one place.

They have a similar setup in downtown Portland Oregon