Anyone do Brisket the day before?

GrillinFool

Looking to do some briskets on Sat. before Fathers day. Don't have much in terms of grills to use where we are celebrating on Sunday. I was thinking remove them an hour short of being done, foil and put in the fridge (or freezer) to halt cooking and finish up the next day for an hour or so on the grill, then foil for an hour and then slice? Anyone try this?

smoke king

Banned
Hey GF, when I've been short on time (usually like to put em on about 11 PM and then drink errrr- I mean cook all nite!) I've put em' on the smoker for a 4-5 hours and then finished them in a roaster in a low oven. Still a time consuming process, but it requires a lot less babysitting. Bonus, it makes the house smell awesome!

GrillinFool

Hey GF, when I've been short on time (usually like to put em on about 11 PM and then drink errrr- I mean cook all nite!) I've put em' on the smoker for a 4-5 hours and then finished them in a roaster in a low oven. Still a time consuming process, but it requires a lot less babysitting. Bonus, it makes the house smell awesome!

I don't have enough grill space over there to do much more than warm them back up... The smoker they have will be used for 6 slabs of BBR's

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
cook them all the way through and reheat... you will be dissappointed from only cooking them part way through... they tend to dry out when you go to finish cooking them the next day..no idea why but i have tried this with other cuts of meat with the same result

for briskets the i am making in advanced, i would inject heavily with say beef broth/stock...when finished wrap tightly with foil,cover...no peaking.lol

GrillinFool

cook them all the way through and reheat... you will be dissappointed from only cooking them part way through... they tend to dry out when you go to finish cooking them the next day..no idea why but i have tried this with other cuts of meat with the same result

for briskets the i am making in advanced, i would inject heavily with say beef broth/stock...when finished wrap tightly with foil,cover...no peaking.lol

Hmmmm.... That's a good call on the injecting. But isn't reheating the next day going to be the suck?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Unless you are planning to cook the brisket for hours and hours, I wouldn't suggest this at all. You'd be fooling with unsafe holding temperaturess, otherwise. You are better off cooking it all the way and either serving cold brisket sandwiches or finding some way to reheat it to 140 degrees the next day.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
What about smoking them at night, then finishing them in the oven low and slow the following morning. That way while they finish in the oven you can be working on the BBR's.

GrillinFool

What about smoking them at night, then finishing them in the oven low and slow the following morning. That way while they finish in the oven you can be working on the BBR's.

Couple of things. First the briskets are only like 4 pounds each so they don't need that much time. That being said, I like the oven idea. Indirect/Smoke for 2 hours, put in the oven to finish and work on the ribs!!! That's friggin brilliant!!!