Julia's take on poaching an egg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
interesting idea!

I have a batch of small glass bowls - when I need "perfect" poached eggs I put them in the (cold) water - depth to generously cover - and bring the water to a fast simmer.

crack the egg over / into the bowl - it sinks into the bowl and sets up perfectly.
tip: wipe the bowl inside with a little vegetable oil prior to heating; eggs edges like to stick to the too-clean glass . . .

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
interesting idea!

I have a batch of small glass bowls - when I need "perfect" poached eggs I put them in the (cold) water - depth to generously cover - and bring the water to a fast simmer.

crack the egg over / into the bowl - it sinks into the bowl and sets up perfectly.
tip: wipe the bowl inside with a little vegetable oil prior to heating; eggs edges like to stick to the too-clean glass . . .

You put the bowls in the pan. Then put water in the pan and cover/fill the bowls with water, then crack the egg into the bowl which displace the water in the bowl?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
...then crack the egg into the bowl which displace the water in the bowl?

zactly!

I've also tried using homespun egg rings (cat food cans with top&bottom removed) in the water but the egg "leaks out" around the bottom.... a heavier ring might solve that, but me no got heavier . . .

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I use Chilifarmer's way to achieve perfect "over Easy" eggs without having to flip them............