Party rye for appetizers.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We're going to two dinners this weekend and have been asked to bring an appetizer. I suggested to DW that we bring Sausage & Cheese on Rye, because I could make them up ahead of time and freeze them. One recipe would be enough for both dinners, as there will be other appys there. I went to the store and bought the roll sausage and cheese, but was told at two stores that they only carry the Pepperidge Farm party rye during the holidays. So, what's the Dough Boy to do, but make his own party rye in mini loaf pans. I was out of rye in the freezer, so I decided to make a loaf with the minis. I've made mini loaves of bread before, and know that I needed 7oz. of dough for each mini pan, and 28 oz for a full size loaf. So, Using Baker's percentages, I was able to back into a recipe that would make exactly 56oz. of dough. Here's my formula and accompanying pics.

Unbleached bread flour 23oz
Dark Rye flour 9oz
Salt .6oz
Instant Yeast .35oz
Milk 10oz
Water 9oz
(1) Large egg 1.85oz
2 T Molasses 1.70oz
2 T Caraway seeds .50oz

Loaves in pans after first rise...

P1020799.jpg

Loaves risen 45 minutes and ready for the oven...

P1020801.jpg

Out of the oven. 17 minutes @400F for the mini pans, and 35 min. @ 400F for the full size loaf to hit 200F internal temp...

P1020803.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Beautiful loeaves, as always, JoeV. Tell me how you do the "sausage and cheese" part...I'm scheduled to bring appetizers to a potluck soon.

K

Kimchee

I am in awe of bakers like you!
And even better for the appetizers... you get to quietly mention that
you baked the bread yourself! :)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Beautiful loeaves, as always, JoeV. Tell me how you do the "sausage and cheese" part...I'm scheduled to bring appetizers to a potluck soon.
We make it in its simplest form...1# bulk breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans or even Italian sweet sausage) + 1# Velveeta + 1 loaf party rye. Cook the sausage in a deep pan until fully cooked. Drain off as much grease as you can, then put the Velveeta in the pan to melt with the sausage. We cut up the Velveeta into chunks so it melts more evenly. You them spoon the mix onto pieces of the party rye, place them on a foil covered cookie sheet and bake uncovered for 5 minutes at 375F then serve hot. Or, you can freeze on the cookie sheet and pull them out whenever you want them. We freeze them on the sheet then put them in freezer bags and pull out a bag at a time for appys.

There are many variations of this appy online. just Google "sausage and cheese on party rye" and have a ball picking what you might like. I will say that we do not care for recipes which call for 1#of sausage and 1# of ground beef. The beef really diminishes the flavor of the pork sausage by a lot.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I am in awe of bakers like you!
And even better for the appetizers... you get to quietly mention that
you baked the bread yourself! :)
Hold your awe until I go out hunting for a pig and process it to make the sausage.:yum::yum::yum:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks for the info, Joe - sounds delicious and easy, because it can be done ahead of time. Hard to find rye flour here, but I'll be searching for it.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The loaf pans I have are about 5-1/4" long, and get about 25 slices of bread when cut around 3/16" thick. (I couldn't wait)

P1020804.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
*sigh*

I wish you lived next door to me, Joe!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here is the finished product. The pan is not lined because I froze all of them. The recipe made 36 pieces with 1# of sausage +1# of Velveeta.

P1020806.jpg