Is it just me...

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thank you ma'am. It's just the way I was raised! Mom and grandma taught me early on to pull the chair out for the ladies, hold the door, and always lend a hand when you can!

It's cuz we're from the south....

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Karo for the dog??? Were you being serious Fred or joshing us?

Everyone else play nice please. Some of that exchange would have been better off in PM as opposed to the board, thanks!

chowhound

It helps revive dogs that go into shock or are otherwise lethargic or even hypoglycemic, like some little breeds tend to be. It's a good standby to have on hand in an emergency.
Or for popcorn balls, too I guess (lol).

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Interesting Mama, how in your own cornbread recipe on your own website, you include a variation with a lot of sugar in it. Are you blaspheming?
http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/how-to-make-cornbread.html

No ma'am! I didn't put it in MY recipe. I added the comment at the end because I know that there are plenty of other folks from all over the world who enjoy my website as well. You won't ever have cornbread at my house with sugar in it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting Mama, how in your own cornbread recipe on your own website, you include a variation with a lot of sugar in it. Are you blaspheming?
http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/how-to-make-cornbread.html

She gave a golden recipe that is TNT. For those that like it sweet, and there are some that do, she offered the curious a way to get there. Believe it or not, there is quite the question in the south as whether cornbread should be sweet or not. It depends on where you hail from.

If you like your cornbread sweet, add 2/3 cup of white sugar to the batter.

Notice that IF wasn’t part of the golden recipe. Considering all the alternatives and all the differing pallets is called thorough. At least in my book.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It helps revive dogs that go into shock or are otherwise lethargic or even hypoglycemic, like some little breeds tend to be. It's a good standby to have on hand in an emergency.
Or for popcorn balls, too I guess (lol).
This is true - lots of chihuahua breeders swear by it when pups are very, very young because they often have trouble regulating their blood sugar.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is true - lots of chihuahua breeders swear by it when pups are very, very young because they often have trouble regulating their blood sugar.

Well, I definitely learned something then! Thanks CH and FM! Now that I have learned something, guess I'm done for the day! :lol:

gadzooks

When I was a kid, we would take leftover cornbread, slice it and fry it in butter, sliced side down, until that side was crispy, and then slather it with grape jelly. 'Bout a hundred years ago, it seems.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
No ma'am! I didn't put it in MY recipe. I added the comment at the end because I know that there are plenty of other folks from all over the world who enjoy my website as well. You won't ever have cornbread at my house with sugar in it.

But your site is Southern Cooking and if sugar doesn't belong in Southern cornbread, shouldn't you explain that better? Or do you have other recipes that aren't Southern Cooking on your website?

Or are you just trying to create some false polarity between the North and South here on the board. I live in the United States of America. I may have pride in my state but I don't feel the North or South is better than the other. I consider myself a part of a unified country. Or did you forget the war was won? I enjoy visiting as many states as I can. I am not an Ohioan first. I am an American first who happens to live in Ohio.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
In the South, there are some that like adding sugar, but it is primarily a northern addition. However, the South is a very popular retirement spot for the Northern Snow Birds, so sugar has drifted down into the recipes for some southern cooks.

They also prefer different flavorings of cornbread, with the North having a preference for sweetness and adding sugar or molasses, while saltier tastes prevail in the South, and thus favor the addition of frying the bread with such additions as cracklins.

Wiki on cornbread.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Honey...I'm not gonna argue with you....I am who I am. I'm a southerner and proud of it...nothing wrong with that. I would welcome anyone here into my home. I may joke about it... but that's all it is and I think most folks here know that.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Honey...I'm not gonna argue with you....I am who I am. I'm a southerner and proud of it...nothing wrong with that. I would welcome anyone here into my home. I may joke about it... but that's all it is and I think most folks here know that.

Spoken like a true Southern Belle! :tiphat:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Discuss the subject, not each other, please. If the discussion stays stuck where it is at and is concentrated around individuals and not a talking point, it becomes a debate and will have to be ended.
If it evolves and does not center around any person or persons but the issues and points of interest being brought up, we will still be OK.
Thank you for understand and help.