"Slap My Face Slow Loading"

Embryodad

Today..I wake up and whilst having my coffee, I crank up the computer and go to my inbox... I could do it blindfolded.

I'm like....W T Heck. (but I didn't say that ).
It did the circle round and round..and internet not available thing...etc etc ..

Tina said,...Oh! Forgot to tell you..he he he..the thing said not on internet; so I clicked the things but forgot the passwords...but then I looked on the radio transmiter with the rabbit ears, and you had it written on there..so I put it in.

Ohhhh KAyyyyy....I said. Did you get on line ok? Yep, she said.

I'm on line, and then off...and on and off all day, and here I am resetting the isp box, and the sync. to the router, and not until 4 PM I find out on the network map..a few things were changed, and it was connected to an un-secured linksys network close enough to jump onto, but not close to sustain a good signal.

After four slaps to my face, I connected to OUR network router, and all was ok. :yum:

I told Tina (super clicker) to wake me up when you have trouble with something. :wub: She is up at 6:00 am. That's too early for me, and especially I am on metric time, and don't go to bed till the weee hours in the morning.

That's what happens when other hands and fingers super click on the computer.

And she has her own, and there is another one for guest use in the dining room on a table.
She likes this one cuz it's in the kitchen.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:yum: Sounds all to familiar ED. Good job figuring it out. Those can be tricky to find and drive you bonkers.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have not been a fan of wireless for these reasons. There are so many around. Most all routers come out of the box with 192.168.1.XX IP schemes. Security is off by default all to make for an easy setup. It is also mega easy to get connected to a router of a neighbor.

Typically I change my IP scheme to something highly unlikely to be duplicated. Also everything in the house is wired. Faster, more secure.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my wireless router only :mellow: things. went thru 2. not again. not 1 other after 'dat.

Embryodad

I have not been a fan of wireless for these reasons. There are so many around. Most all routers come out of the box with 192.168.1.XX IP schemes. Security is off by default all to make for an easy setup. It is also mega easy to get connected to a router of a neighbor.

Typically I change my IP scheme to something highly unlikely to be duplicated. Also everything in the house is wired. Faster, more secure.
Wired is the way to go!

The problem I see, is the kitchen desktop has a cisco adapter to communicate with the TPlink router. The laptop of DW's has the communication card installed and there is no adapter like mine in the kitchen. There is never an issue with the laptop; but the kitchen one with the adapter, is always iffy!

I have a 50' foot ethernet cable; just need to get up the gumption to get it run.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>easy to misconnect

not really. you can instruct Windows which network to auto-connect to - it won't connect to anything else without prompting you.

I have mine set for the "home" and "office" routers - there's zillions of other networks floating around but they never attempt any but the 'authorized' ones - which are all password protected - so unless you and your neighbor are sharing the super unsecure password of "password" - mis-connects should not be an issue....

Embryodad

>>easy to misconnect

not really. you can instruct Windows which network to auto-connect to - it won't connect to anything else without prompting you.

I have mine set for the "home" and "office" routers - there's zillions of other networks floating around but they never attempt any but the 'authorized' ones - which are all password protected - so unless you and your neighbor are sharing the super unsecure password of "password" - mis-connects should not be an issue....
So True ChowderMan...but!!!

If someone changes the default; like some one did, and I won't mention a name, then it will try to connect to the changed default.
It was a un-secured linksys ....Mine is password protected, and the three home computers are allowed only.

The name of my network that everyone within range can see is... " Federal Government Network" LOL....

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I just like wired better. Lots less to go wrong.

My stepson claims he can crack wireless passwords on about five minutes

Shermie

Site Supporter
I thought that wireless would be just as fast or almost as fast as wired, but it's NOT!!

Seems rather S-L-O-W!!! And the more people who logon and use it, the slower it becomes!! Especially on Amtrak's Acela trains!!!!!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
what may I ask is the surprise?
if you "thought" that, you obviously didn't do your homework.

wireless encompasses industry / aka equipment/software/firmware standards.
802.11b 802.11a 802.11g and 802.11n are in common use.

none of the rated speeds approach a wired ethernet connection.
which sounds bad except that even with cable ISP, their effective throughput is all to frequently less than any of the wireless, much less wired, connection rates.

a fiber optic connection is (many times) faster, except the fiber optic suppliers all throttle the delivery speed. and sad to say, many cable ISP throttle your connection.
one doesn't have to like or agree with reality. reality exists, deal with it.

a wireless router / access point will accommodate 256 simultaneous users.
for those who thought 8 bit computing died with the IBM PC, oops - it's still with us - 2 to the 8th power = 256.....

any open access router with multiple users still broadcasts at it rated speed. divided by (up to 256 users) - can be painfully slow.

I recently stayed at a hotel with a non-pass word protected / "open" wireless system.
completely UN-useable - every smart phone within the reach of the signal was soaking up the bandwidth. hotel had an ethernet cable connection next to the phone. plug it in, bingo - no speed issues. same ISP, just not 250 smart phones hogging the wireless access point. simple solution: password is "room number" - that'd keep the flocks of phones walking down the beach off the network. stupidly, not implemented..... if you're going to offer free unrestricted public access, need more hardware.

Embryodad

what may I ask is the surprise?
if you "thought" that, you obviously didn't do your homework.

wireless encompasses industry / aka equipment/software/firmware standards.
802.11b 802.11a 802.11g and 802.11n are in common use.

none of the rated speeds approach a wired ethernet connection.
which sounds bad except that even with cable ISP, their effective throughput is all to frequently less than any of the wireless, much less wired, connection rates.

a fiber optic connection is (many times) faster, except the fiber optic suppliers all throttle the delivery speed. and sad to say, many cable ISP throttle your connection.
one doesn't have to like or agree with reality. reality exists, deal with it.

a wireless router / access point will accommodate 256 simultaneous users.
for those who thought 8 bit computing died with the IBM PC, oops - it's still with us - 2 to the 8th power = 256.....

any open access router with multiple users still broadcasts at it rated speed. divided by (up to 256 users) - can be painfully slow.

I recently stayed at a hotel with a non-pass word protected / "open" wireless system.
completely UN-useable - every smart phone within the reach of the signal was soaking up the bandwidth. hotel had an ethernet cable connection next to the phone. plug it in, bingo - no speed issues. same ISP, just not 250 smart phones hogging the wireless access point. simple solution: password is "room number" - that'd keep the flocks of phones walking down the beach off the network. stupidly, not implemented..... if you're going to offer free unrestricted public access, need more hardware.
Very interesting..

When the branch off the trunk gets too many birds on it, there is no room to flap their wings.

That happens here with cable isp service. During the day it is not as laden with carriers and the loading is faster. In the evening...the speed drops because there are a lot of data loading the trunk.

If I use the Cable company to do a ping test...They always show a fast upload and download. What they don't do, is load the ping test with an appreciable amount of MB. They probably use 28 KB .

I found one test that will do it with a higher amout of Bytes, but I don't know if even that can be trusted.? ?

I guess there may be a software that can be bought to test the rate of down / up / load speed??

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No need to buy anything:

www.speedtest.net

Works great. :D Just click the begin test button, it shows up LAST.

Don't fall for the scan your system first gimmick or the tune your system first trick. They are ads trying to sell you something.

Embryodad

No need to buy anything:

www.speedtest.net

Works great. :D Just click the begin test button, it shows up LAST.

Don't fall for the scan your system first gimmick or the tune your system first trick. They are ads trying to sell you something.
Thanks Doc...

I WONT FALL FOR ANYTHING....but DW would. She's a '""SUPER CLICKER""....and has like 14 items open and wonders why the computer is slow. LOL

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
what Doc said.

I've used
http://www.dslreports.com/
for decades.

but not so much anymore. it's just another site - but at least reputable.

when I used it you could "join" - free - and it would store your test results avoiding the dreaded "where did that paper go" thing....

99.9999999% of the "we'll speed up your pc" stuff is totally bogus / scams / rip offs.

there are things one can do to make things better - but they're all pretty simple.