Let's Play with .... Wrappers!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I thought I had come up with an original idea for using some more of the wrappers that I have left, :idea: Deconstructed Wonton Soup :idea:. I did a google, and it's all over the place :ohmy:. I'm probably going to do it anyway, my way.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I thought I had come up with an original idea for using some more of the wrappers that I have left, :idea: Deconstructed Wonton Soup :idea:. I did a google, and it's all over the place :ohmy:. I'm probably going to do it anyway, my way.
That sounds interesting. I can't wait to see your soup.

homecook

Your soup is almost exactly like mine Peeps. I added shrimp stock and shrimp to mine.....

Barb's Wonton Soup
Ingredients for wontons:

3/4 lb. ground pork
1/4 lb. chopped shrimp
1 T. rice wine
1-1/2 c. cabbage mix
1/2 tsp. minced ginger
1 egg white
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 c. minced green onion
couple drops of sesame oil
1 pkg. wonton wrappers

Preparation:

Combine above ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Use about 1 tsp. filling for each wonton.

To make the wontons: Add filling to center of wonton wrapper. Wet all four sides of wrapper with water. Fold over to form a triangle. Seal well removing all air pockets. Wet the two bottom corners and bring together to form a nurse's cap.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add wontons. Let simmer 5-8 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Ingredients for Soup

6 cups chicken stock
2 cups shrimp stock
sliced green onions
sesame oil
soy sauce
8-10 shrimp, optional
Preparation:

Bring chicken stock and shrimp stock to a boil. Turn down to a simmer. Add wontons, bok choy or Napa cabbage and green onions. Add shrimp. Let simmer about 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and top with a couple drops of the sesame oil and soy sauce. Eat and enjoy!

Note: You can also just use all chicken broth for this. Next time I will add some re-hydrated porcini mushroom.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 567

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have never had cabbage or shrimp in wonton soup before.

Your soup looks wonderful and is a nice alternative for people who enjoy shrimp.

Can you also please post the recipe for your fried dumplings/potstickers and dipping sauce?

homecook

The cabbage in the soup is Napa cabbage. Very common in Chinese dishes.

I'll post my potsticker recipe shortly.....I really thought I had already. I'll check.

homecook

I've got these sitting in the freezer. I got the recipe from a friend. They're really easy to make.

Ingredients
1 cup Bok choy blanched, chopped
1 cup Napa cabbage blanched, chopped
1 teaspoon Garlic minced
1 teaspoon Ginger roots minced
1/2 cup Shiitake mushrooms chopped
1/2 cup Scallion chopped
1 cup Tofu mashed
60 ea Wonton wrappers

Instructions
Peel off 5-6 leaves of the bok choy, and Napa cabbage. Blanch in boiling water for about 2 minutes, then plunge in cold water. Drain well.
Finely chop all ingredients (except wrappers), and mix in a bowl.
Set up a steamer basket with perforated wax paper in the bottom.
Spoon a rounded teaspoon of filling into each wrapper. Moisten edges of the wrapper, and crimp.
When all dumplings are filled, place about 8-10 into the steamer basket, and steam for 4-5 minutes.
Serve with ginger soy sauce for dipping.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 544
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 593
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 573

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Barb's Pork Potstickers

Pork Potstickers
A friend gave me this recipe to try. I changed it up a little (as always).
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/...plings-534147/

Instead of dumplings I made potstickers and just used wonton wrappers.

Ingredients:

1 pkg. wonton wrappers
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce -- or soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup bok choy -- finely chopped (I used coleslaw mix)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound lean ground pork
1/4 cup rice vinegar or white vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
Snipped fresh chives (optional)

Preparation:

For filling, stir together hoisin or soy sauce and cornstarch in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in coleslaw mix, green onion, cilantro, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add ground pork; mix well. Using about 1 tablespoon of the filling for each, shape filling into 30 balls. Set aside.

Place a meatball in the center of each wonton. I cut mine into circles. Wet the edge of the wonton to help it stick together. Gently flatten the bottom. Repeat with remaining wontons and meatballs to make about 30 potstickers total.

Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Brush with vegetable oil once hot. Add 8 to 10 potstickers at a time to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes making sure they don't touch and the bottoms are browned. Once the 2 minutes are up, gently add 1/3 cup water or chicken stock to the pan, turn the heat down to low, cover, and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove to a plate.

Combine rice vinegar and soy sauce for dipping.
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Cooksie

Site Supporter
These came out better. I used a light coat of vegetable oil on the wonton wrapper and used a shot glass to lightly press them into a mini muffin pan (oiled side up). Baked at 350 convection:

Baked_Wonton_Cups.jpg

Same filling:

Wonton_Cups_Pork_Filling.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
These came out better. I used a light coat of vegetable oil on the wonton wrapper and used a shot glass to lightly press them into a mini muffin pan (oiled side up). Baked at 350 convection:

Baked_Wonton_Cups.jpg

Same filling:

Wonton_Cups_Pork_Filling.jpg
They look fantastic cooksie. What is in the filling? They are so cute.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks!

ground pork
sherry
oyster sauce
soy sauce
garlic
ginger
bok choy
bean sprouts
carrots

You could use just about any filling that you like.....crab rangoon, chicken salad, pie filling, ......

Deja vu re shrimp wonton soup. I tried a shrimp wonton soup - with each wonton wrapper wrapper around a whole shrimp. I'm trying to duplicate it at home.

Dessert wontons are another fave. Stuff them with apple pie filling & sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Serve them with vanilla ice cream.

An added thought/tip. When I make dumplings/potstickers etc, I use a dumpling press (see below). It makes the process go faster, & every dumpling comes out perfectly. You can also purchase the larger presses for calzones, samosas etc.

31-kZ6e-jJL__SL250_.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
There's a place out by us that used to make these. They were delicious. I love French Onion soup! I think I'll give them a try. It doesn't sound too hard. lol

Great! Can't wait to see them and hear your review.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I made an eggroll dipping sauce last night, and I really liked it:

2-2-1 ratio of soy sauce, rice vinegar, orange marmalade

Apart from Chinese Steamed Dumplings (love my bamboo steamer) & Potstickers, I've enjoyed using commercial wonton & gyozo wrappers to make all sorts of different ravioli. Lots of fun, & can be done much quicker than making one's own pasta. So if you have a hankering for homemade ravioli, very little advance timing/planning required.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Apart from Chinese Steamed Dumplings (love my bamboo steamer) & Potstickers, I've enjoyed using commercial wonton & gyozo wrappers to make all sorts of different ravioli. Lots of fun, & can be done much quicker than making one's own pasta. So if you have a hankering for homemade ravioli, very little advance timing/planning required.

I don't have a bamboo steamer. I was thinking about just using a regular steamer/rice cooker. Think that would work?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
WOW! I thought I had posted these.

Fried wontons, egg roll and four dipping sauces

091312_fried_wonton_egg_roll_P1090566.JPG

Egg Rolls

091212_egg_roll_fried_rice_P1090564.JPG

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
What a trip down memory lane :mrgreen:.

That looks great, Peeps! I could just dig right in.