10/16/10 Dinner?

Phiddlechik

Our 1/4 beef was delivered yesterday, so am thinking of some kind of steak. It's all natural, grass fed, never in a feedlot, free range, beef. Aged 3 weeks.
mmmmmmmmmmm..........

Mr. Green Jeans

It is a crisp, fall day here in Orygun. Going to carpe diem and split wood while the sun is shining. That means not much time in the kitchen today. Thinking soup and sammies. Having spent the week in MN, cream of chicken & wild rice sounds real good.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mr. Green Jeans said:
Having spent the week in MN, cream of chicken & wild rice sounds real good.

Oh, I love that wild rice soup you can only find in Minnesota. I have some wild rice. I have some chicken. It's a little warmer here, but maybe I'll do the same. You've started me thinking about it...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This is our church's fall festival weekend.
I have to work, but yesterday it was predetermined that someone would run down to church and pick up some festival dinners, served between 4 and 7.
Beef or chicken, noodles, green beans, roll/butter, and dessert.
Hmmm pie or cake? I'll decide then. ;)

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Threw a pork shoulder in the oven, gonna let it rip for a while then low and slow. All on a bed of onions, fennel, and local apples.

Plan on sandwiches with some: Yeasty roll, buttered, with slices of pork, stuffing, apple sauce, and cracklings.

Plan on making psuedo carnitas with some.

Plan on making lavash bread pizzas with some: Fig preserves as a base, caramelized onion, pulled pork, non smoked gouda, and cracklings.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking southern cuisine tonight...

First course is andouille stuffed mushrooms.

Second course is either frog's legs creole or etouffe', not sure whether I'm going with a dark roux or tomatoes..

I've got some beautiful okra, which I'll probably fry.

Dessert, is yet to be determined. I'd like to get something into the NCT challenge before it's too late.

mhend

I'm in Chattanooga to see Goo Goo Dolls, so I'll be having dinner out somewhere. Pretty sure there is gonna be some beer involved. :)

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Home made fish & chips tonight, baked in the oven and served with carrots and green beans from the garden.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Hi Miniman - haven't seen you for awhile! Fish and chips sound delicious. It is warm here, so I am revising my menu...fried chicken, I think. Not soup. Maybe potatoes and gravy.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The Goo Goo Dolls????!!! Oh my!!

Has anyone ever made a Derby Pie before?? I've been experimenting with lots of recipes lately, things I want to polish before I open. I saw a recipe in one of my favourite books today for a derby pie. Essentially, it was a pie crust that was filled with, well...filling. The filling kind of freaked me out, considering the portions of ingredients.

it called for
3 1/4 cups of white sugar
3/4 brown sugar
1 stick of butter
2 eggs
1/2 c flour
6 oz chocolate chips
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1t vanilla

When it was done mixing it resembled cookie batter, but wetter, due to the enormous amount of sugar. I looked at it 4 times!! Even put my glasses on!!
Said to bake 35-45 minutes, till a tester came out clean. After 25 minutes it had a hard crust on top and bits of very liquidy filling were oozing out the side. It didn't look like this crust was good for business, so I cracked it and the gooey mass gobbled it up:ohmy:. By the way...it's dripping and burning all over the bottom of the oven, too. After an hour, I finally took it out, still all mushy and clearly not 'coming out clean'. So now, it's kinda rock hard, which makes perfect sense, considering how long I cooked all this damn sugar. It's harder than fudge, almost like pralines. It's as sweet as those damn puppies and kittens in that commercial for those lottery tickets.

I'll take pictures later. Damn shame. Not knowing what to expect, I'm not sure where it went wrong. Clearly, this thing went wrong.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've made derby pies before and that sounds like WAAAYYYY too much sugar. It must be a misprint. I would think it would be 1/4 cup of white sugar and 3/4 cup of brown sugar. Also, I use pecans in mine.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've made derby pies before and that sounds like WAAAYYYY too much sugar. It must be a misprint. I would think it would be 1/4 cup of white sugar and 3/4 cup of brown sugar. Also, I use pecans in mine.

I had a feeling it might be too much...but, you know, live and learn.

FooD

I did not want the residual heat of my brick oven go to waste today so I threw in a couple of slabs of spareribs which I found on sale for $1.59/lb, rubbed them with Menphis rub, while not knowing my wife had a friend of her's cook our 15 lb turkey, Salvadoran style, which we had stashed in our freezer for I have no idea how long, with side fixins' and therefore ending up with a whole lot of food for 5 people this evening. We are having a feast at Park Drive Bar & Grill here in Los Angeles so if any of you are in the area please stop by and I'll feed you.

PanchoHambre

Simmering a sauce made of what I imagine is the last of the season's tomato harvest and baking an apple pie... gonna grill up a steak to eat with the pasta and sauce shortly. My house smells good. (helped by the fact that I pulled up the rugs today and they are airing out in the fall breeze after a good pounding and vacuuming damned sheddy nasty pets)

Phiddlechik

color is kinda weird, tried to fix it. But, it's night, and artificial light...

Attachments

• DSCN0752.jpg
    DSCN0752.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 94

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
VB, I've never made a derby pie, and I'm so sorry that all of those lovely ingredients didn't end up being something wonderful. I always feel so bad when that happens, but, how else are you gonna learn, right?

Beautiful meal, PC...looks like you got some very nice beef. Color looks wonderful to me.

I ended up making some fried chicken (browned first, and finished in the oven), a salad, some fresh home-made Italian bread and some Oatmeal Butterscotch bars, made from a Cook's Country recipe. If you have some butterscotch chips in your pantry, THIS is what to do with them. They are gooooood.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 96

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful dinners PC and Karen! And.....I LOVE both of your plates! Gorgeous dishes, both plate and food!!! :clap:

PC, I bet that fresh beef was to die for!!

Karen, what are the crispy strips in your salad?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin said:
Karen, what are the crispy strips in your salad?

I figured it was easier to take a picture...here they are, Keltin. Looks like a Mexican product, says "Hecho en Mexico" on the back. They are very light, crunchy and well-seasoned. But surely there is something like them in the US? Isn't Fresh Gourmet a US label?

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 107

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh, nice Phiddle! I'll bet the taste is amazing! You got quite a deal on that meat!

Karen, you chicken looks wonderful...I haven't made fried chicken in a while...I think it going on my short list now. You butterscotch bars look really good too. I just looked up the recipe and it looks great. I think I've got some butterscotch morsels in my pantry too...imagine that...:yum:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Mama - you'll be SO glad you made these oatmeal butterscotch bars. They are really yummy. Hope you enjoy!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I figured it was easier to take a picture...here they are, Keltin. Looks like a Mexican product, says "Hecho en Mexico" on the back. They are very light, crunchy and well-seasoned. But surely there is something like them in the US? Isn't Fresh Gourmet a US label?

I've never seen these Karen! What are they, basically? Fried tortilla strips? They look wonderful and a perfect salad topper! I want these even if I have to make them!! :thumb:

Phiddlechik

Thanks! Yes, it's a win/win situation. The rancher is so nice, I love teaching her! We've never had so much meat in our freezer!
Now, if I can find a pig farmer that needs violin lessons...

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin said:
I've never seen these Karen! What are they, basically?

They are tortilla strips with seasonings. Let me see if I can translate the ingredients: Masa harina de maiz (corn flour - the stuff you make tortillas from), sunflower oil, dried tomato, onion, garlic, salt, corn syrup, jalapeno chiles, yeast, lime, granulated sodium.

You could certainly make your own by frying some tortilla strips and sprinkling them with seasonings...they're very good. They're good just to snack on, too - I am eating some right now. :tongue::tongue::tongue: They're pretty spicy!

mhend

I'm in Chattanooga to see Goo Goo Dolls, so I'll be having dinner out somewhere. Pretty sure there is gonna be some beer involved. :)

Everything looks delicious everybody!

Just got out of the show - it was AWESOME!!! :clap::clap: Stopped by TacoMac for a late dinner. Had a burrito and lots of beer. :lol:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
OMG Vera! That is incredible! I believe you did whole fried okra before(???).....and that was the first time I'd ever seen that. I've so got to try that. I've been eating a lot of Frog of late, and I can see the little froggies in the Etouffe. Awesome! :clap:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'd rather fry the whole okra, mostly for plate appeal, but if they are too big, they tend to be tough. These were a bit tough, and we had to cut them with a knife and fork to eat them.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Vera, your etouffe is just beautiful - oh, how I wish I could buy okra here. I love it. And your pie looks pretty good under all the whipped cream! I'll bet it tasted wonderful. Thanks for sharing your pics.