(News Article) Top 10 Most Dangerous Foods

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I think it's mostly toddlers who choke on hot dogs, Lefty. They also choke a lot on carrots and nuts. But even then - I think most toddlers survive a hot dog or two.

FryBoy

There was a graphic on the news last night showing that a typical hot dog is larger than a child's throat and can therefore get lodged, blocking breathing.

Today's Los Angeles Times has an editorial on the hot dog/choking issue, and I think they hit the nail on the head -- it's really about making parents of toddlers aware of the danger. Little kids often bite off huge hunks and then try to swallow without chewing.

Here's the editorial:

THE TAIL WAGGING THE HOT DOG

Are wieners a choking hazard? Sure, but not everything can be made safe for every age.

February 23, 2010

The notion that the hot dog should be redesigned inspires a variation on the mad-scientist-movie line: "Man was not meant to tamper in God's domain." Or, in this case, Oscar Mayer's. Yet the American Academy of Pediatrics is proposing that the wiener (and other products frequently consumed by children) be reshaped as a way of preventing toddlers from choking.

The proposal doesn't sit well with an interest group we didn't even know existed, the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council. But you don't have to be a lobbyist to rebel at this well-intentioned exercise in paternalism.

We accept the academy's assertion that children under the age of 3 shouldn't be given whole hot dogs. We have no problem with its other suggestion: that hot dog and other packages should come with conspicuous warning labels about the danger of choking. But not everything can be made safe for consumption by the youngest common denominator. Even the academy acknowledges the fact that (short of genetic engineering) it would be impossible to reconfigure some of the other foods it cites as choking hazards, such as popcorn, peanuts and grapes. As with hot dogs, the best remedy may be parental vigilance.

It's hard to believe that the academy seriously proposed a hot dog makeover. Perhaps the doctors knew that the idea, even as it provoked ridicule, would increase public and parental awareness of the dangers of giving hot dogs to toddlers. But if they're serious, they'll find that taking on this tubular treat is no picnic.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting article.

While hot dogs have been covered in other posts, I did a fair amount of clicking and reading. Most of the foods that they list as dangerous are dangerous in special cases. For example, the leafy greens (This weeks IC). Of the total cases of people getting sicj the greatest majority were form food handlers in commercia establishments not exercising proper sanitation. Mushrooms. Yes, you can die fro indescriminenty going intothe woods and picking and eating random mushrooms. It dosen't really happen in the grocery store. Many if not all of the items mentioned are like this when you read the article. The article seems to be written to intentionally shock people and hav them do a lot of clicking around on Time's site, by the way, increasing their traffic and potentially advertising revenue. How clever.

suziquzie

seriously what parent doesn't cut up a hotdog for a little one??? Or am I just a paranoid freak...... don't answer that.....

FryBoy

Interesting article.

While hot dogs have been covered in other posts, I did a fair amount of clicking and reading. Most of the foods that they list as dangerous are dangerous in special cases. For example, the leafy greens (This weeks IC). Of the total cases of people getting sicj the greatest majority were form food handlers in commercia establishments not exercising proper sanitation. Mushrooms. Yes, you can die fro indescriminenty going intothe woods and picking and eating random mushrooms. It dosen't really happen in the grocery store. Many if not all of the items mentioned are like this when you read the article. The article seems to be written to intentionally shock people and hav them do a lot of clicking around on Time's site, by the way, increasing their traffic and potentially advertising revenue. How clever.
Most of it comes down to common sense, such as not pouring hot coffee on your crotch (really -- that's one of the 10), others are a matter of simple sanitation (the problem with veggies, for example, which is mostly due to servers not washing their hands after using the bathroom). OTOH, I have decided to eliminate blowfish from my diet.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
a piano, dropped from any height, is one of the top ten most dangerous musical instruments.

which is why the Philadelphia Mummers don't carry pianos; they get a bit tipsy and tend to drop them.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Most of it comes down to common sense, such as not pouring hot coffee on your crotch (really -- that's one of the 10),

OTOH, I have decided to eliminate blowfish from my diet.
I've decided to give up blowfish, too, Doug. But I'm going to continue risking third degree crotch burns - I can't give up the java.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
seriously what parent doesn't cut up a hotdog for a little one??? Or am I just a paranoid freak...... don't answer that.....
I know what you mean - it seems like common sense, doesn't it? But I was surprised when I learned how incredibly dangerous balloons are for kids. Years ago when my daughter was in ICU, there was a toddler in there who was brain dead from aspirating a piece of balloon. It was the first time I ever even thought about it and it scared the heck out of me to think of how many balloons my little kids had played with.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Oh Yeah! I am definitely off blowfish too!

I mean gimme a break, putting something that dangerous in your body is just silly.