ISO Corned beef hash

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made hash last night with chopped corned beef (that I cooked), cubed potatoes, and chopped onions.

Tried to get a crust in a cast iron pan with a little bacon fat and all I ended up doing was drying out the corned beef, and it was all loose.

How can I get the nice glob of hash that all sticks together and browns on the bottom, so I can flip it over in one piece (ideally?)

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I made hash last night with chopped corned beef (that I cooked), cubed potatoes, and chopped onions.

Tried to get a crust in a cast iron pan with a little bacon fat and all I ended up doing was drying out the corned beef, and it was all loose.

How can I get the nice glob of hash that all sticks together and browns on the bottom, so I can flip it over in one piece (ideally?)

Lee
hello lee i use to love broadcast corned beef hash but they don't make it any more. i loved letting it fry till it got a nice crust and flip and repeat!

i tried making homemade 2 times and mine never really got crusty either.

i googled and this is what i got HIH

http://www.google.com/search?source...8&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS353US353&q=corned+beef+hash

several call for cream or broth to make it moist maybe thats the trick to the crust. also i think the canned stuff looked like the meat was ground before the onions and potatoes were added. maybe ground meat and the cream is the secret to the "glue that holds the potatoes and onions together and make that crusty pancake result.

if you find one that works let me know.

buckytom

Grill Master
qsis, you need more spuds! and the right kind of spuds

the potatoes act like a glue, especially if they're cooked until bits of them mash.
i think my mom used regular russets, peeled and overboiled. when they're mixed up with the shredded meat and onions, they mash somewhat and form the glue.

if that still fails, add some eggwhites.

AllenOK

Or maybe, if your original mix already has some moisture in it, adding some instant mashed taters?

I've only attempted this, once, and it didn't really turn out.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, so I made corned beef hash again the other night.

I used a SMALLER cast iron skillet, so that the hash wasn't so spread out. I put some butter with a little oil in the pan, dumped the hash in, and mashed it down, mashing the cubed potatoes into the meat and onions.

I turned the heat up higher than I have been cooking it. And it worked!!! Best crust I've ever done! The higher heat and the smaller pan were the keys to holding the hash together as one solid mass while it browned.

BTW, the corned beef is from a local butcher who corns his own beef, and it's what we New Englanders call "gray" , not red, when you buy it. Cooked, it looks more like well-done roast beef than what most people are used to when they think "corned beef".

Lee
Corned beef hash and eggs.JPG

Last edited:

AllenOK

Lee, does your butcher cure the meat? Is there any sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite in the mix? Those will turn the meat red or pink when cured.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
did you boil the potatoes whole than cubed them? or cubed them and then boiled them?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geez, Allen, I don't know what they do around here to corn the beef. I assume they don't use nitrates or 'trites.

"Gray" corned beef is an old Boston thing, and it's the only kind of corned beef I ever had until I went to college.

Peep, I boiled the potatoes whole, chilled them overnight, then cubed.

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Geez, Allen, I don't know what they do around here to corn the beef. I assume they don't use nitrates or 'trites.

"Gray" corned beef is an old Boston thing, and it's the only kind of corned beef I ever had until I went to college.

Peep, I boiled the potatoes whole, chilled them overnight, then cubed.

Lee
thank you lee. i have a corned beef in the freezer. i will boil extra potatoes when i make it. did you use red potatoes?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I almost always use Yukon golds for everything. They are versatile and the buttery yellow color always tickles me.

Lee
ok thank you. i used to love broardcast corned beef hash. but they stopped making it. on our last vacation we went to golden corral (in ohio) for breakfast and had the hash it was sooooooooooooooo good!! and we also had dinner there one night and the steak surprised me, it was fantastic!! i hope we get a golden in NJ soon. we finally got sonic and cici's.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That looks so good, now i am craving corned beef hash! I have the same problem, turns out still pink and not crusty at all. I need to work on that :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I should have re-read this thread before trying to make hash from leftover eye of the round roast beef that my friend cooked for us in the crockpot.

The beef was dry to begin with (I am SO not a fan of that cut!) and I ground it up in a food processor. Add some cubed baked potatoes, diced onion and a little cream.

I made even a worst disaster! It was like sawdust. But I got a pretty good crust this time! :)

Maybe I should just resign myself to ordering hash when I'm eating out.

Lee
Roast beef hash and egg.JPG

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
When making roast beef hash, I chop the leftover beef from a pot roast into diced cubes, I chop the onions small as well!

Then, while sautéing the onions I add a little flour to the onions in the skillet. With the burner down low, I let the flour brown slightly. I add some stock or plain water to make a small gravy.

Then I ad the chopped leftover cooked beef from the pot roast, one peeled & finely diced raw potato (It will cook as the hash cooks), and the seasonings, Then some shredded Cheddar or Swiss. Then I stir that all together, Leave it alone and let it get a nice crust on the bottom.

I stir the crust in, let it crust up again, and then I flip it so that the top side is on the bottom, let it crust up one more time, & voila!! Nice crusted roast beef hash!

I got this recipe from one of Julia Child's cooking vids; The Way to Cook; Meats! :weber:

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I made hash out of the corned beef and potatoes we had the other night, and a whole red onion. Buckytom was right - more potatoes, and mushier than cubed.

I pulsed the ingredients in the food processor. Heated a little butter and oil in a CI skillet and patted the mixture in there. Left it alone on medium high for 15 minutes and flipped it, using the plate method. Ten more minutes and it had a perfect crust, top and bottom.

Served to Dad with two eggs on top and veggies on the side.

No question that the grey corned beef makes the best hash, and this was the best crust I've ever done!

Lee
Hash.jpg

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
One of the p!aces we visit for breakfast makes their own CBH and Craig says it's the best he's ever had. We picked it apart and realized there was a small amount of very finely diced dill pickle, as well as some pickle juice. I've tried making it at home and have come pretty close, but the diner's is still better. They get a better crust, probably because they have a commercial flat top and I don't.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Love the idea of dill pickle and pickle juice in the hash, med!

Lee

Johnny West

When making roast beef hash, I chop the leftover beef from a pot roast into diced cubes, I chop the onions small as well!

Then, while sautéing the onions I add a little flour to the onions in the skillet. With the burner down low, I let the flour brown slightly. I add some stock or plain water to make a small gravy.

Then I ad the chopped leftover cooked beef from the pot roast, one peeled & finely diced raw potato (It will cook as the hash cooks), and the seasonings, Then some shredded Cheddar or Swiss. Then I stir that all together, Leave it alone and let it get a nice crust on the bottom.

I stir the crust in, let it crust up again, and then I flip it so that the top side is on the bottom, let it crust up one more time, & voila!! Nice crusted roast beef hash!

I got this recipe from one of Julia Child's cooking vids; The Way to Cook; Meats! :weber:
I’d not thought of using cheese. Sounds wonderful, Shermie.

Johnny West

This is yesterdays corned beef hash using Joy of Cooking‘s recipe for beef hash. I used Yukon Gold potatoes which were mushy and didn’t get a crust, but then I wasn’t looking to make a crust. It all tasted good and today Nancy is making some kind of scalloped leftover dish to go with ham balls.

839E7ECF-8EAB-4397-B6D0-E65B9AB6EE10.jpeg
D4DDC472-38D0-4245-9C1A-2FBECD2FB581.jpeg
2CB327A5-C8E6-4FB6-BD86-67E91C55D8CB.jpeg
E2939014-1328-483B-A1AC-0261FBF3D173.jpeg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I need to get a thick piece of corned beef at deli, since we didn't make it for St. Paddy's day, and make some. It's been a while, though wd did go out for breakfast 2 or 3 weeks ago and Craig got some at his favorite place.