03/09/09 Dinner Plans

Calicolady

I bought 2 turkey legs to make a small pot of soup, maybe with rice instead of noodles.
And I bought a small 1/2 turkey breast (3lbs.) I think I will grill so I don't have to turn on the oven.
I'll cook it indirect with a pan under so I get alittle juice for gravy for 1 meal, I hope. With alittle rice reserved from the soup. Then maybe a few sandwiches.
I love turkey and need it every couple of months, I guess. I get sick of pork and beef and chicken and don't make soup too often.
So I'm off to the kitchen...la dee da, fun, fun, fun.

lilylove

I'm going to make oven fries with Deeladys garlic butter on them.
Sliced tomatoes and cukes...

and some kind of meat... don't have a clue what kind yet.

chowhound

I have some "Cherry Festival" sausage thawed. That's all I know at this point, that I have some sausage thawed....

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Well I won't be doing any cooking, as in digging around for ingredients and doing a ton of dishes.

Tonight is 'out of the freezer nuke night' for me.

Just got off a 6 day run at work, cooking today is the last thing I want to do.

Probably one of the Amy's Kitchen frozen dinners.. ;)

PanchoHambre

I probably wont be cooking much this.... Mom hooked me up.. yeah yeah I know I'm a momma's boy....

Im thinking sauerbraten (sp) and cabbage tonight... maybe I will make some mashed turnips to go with as I have some I need to use

Lefty

Yank
I'm grilling up some superdogs, sauerkraut, cheese, beans, slaw, red pepper relish and mustard on a sub roll.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well with the new pressure cooker I'm going to attemp some Navy beans with ham hocks. I might also make some pork chops also since I have two thin cuts defrosted in case the PS didn't arrive today.

chowhound

I decided to turn my sausage into a spaghetti sauce with lots of mushrooms and onions. Also going to add a little port wine for the first time..... to the sauce that is.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm having oven-baked chicken wings and steamed artichokes with garlic butter. No knives and forks allowed!

Lee

Deelady

sounds yummy Qsis!!

I made my favorite, crispy seared salmon with oven roasted broccoli with lemon and brown rice!! it was gooooooooodddd!! :D :D

chowhound

What's Cherry Festival sausage, CH? A brand name?

Lee

Why it's just the best damn sausage west of Boston and east of Chicago.
Well actually further west from Boston, like a.... Ripley, NY. And a little east of both Chicago and Erie. Actually between Harborcreek and Ripley.... :lol:

I don't know what it is. My dink town has a cherry festival every year, after (before?) the grape festival or something like that, and the dink grocery store makes the sausage for the sandwiches everybody is enthralled with, after buying their made-on-the-spot curly fries of course. They sell the sausage year round. It was the rope sausage I posted a pic of not too long ago. Pretty good taste, however they make it. It's definitely not Italian or Polish.
Reducing after deglazing the pan with a little port wine.

Attachments

• sausage reducing.jpg
    sausage reducing.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 124

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I did have this, with a side dish of fresh sliced cucumbers and smoked almonds.. washed down with a bottle of Fiji water..

Attachments

• AmysLas.jpg
    AmysLas.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 114

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Why it's just the best damn sausage west of Boston and east of Chicago.
Well actually further west from Boston, like a.... Ripley, NY. And a little east of both Chicago and Erie. Actually between Harborcreek and Ripley.... :lol:

I don't know what it is. My dink town has a cherry festival every year, after (before?) the grape festival or something like that, and the dink grocery store makes the sausage for the sandwiches everybody is enthralled with, after buying their made-on-the-spot curly fries of course. They sell the sausage year round. It was the rope sausage I posted a pic of not too long ago. Pretty good taste, however they make it. It's definitely not Italian or Polish.
Reducing after deglazing the pan with a little port wine.

OMG!!! That looks incredible!!!!! Can I have some?????

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm making up a recipe tonight. Going to slather a chuck roast in homemade French Onion Dip, wrap tight in foil, and bake it at 350 for 1.5 hours. Don't really know what to expect. If you see a recipe for this later, it WORKED.

Otherwise, forget I posted this!!! :lol:

chowhound

Thanks Mama, Sass and K.
I was pretty happy with the sauce. It came out sweet tasting, and I like sweet spaghetti sauce. I imagine from taking the onions and peppers to the point of caramelization and then adding the port and reducing.
And after reading Mama's country green beans recipe, I decided to throw a little turbinado sugar (it was handiest) into my beans while they were sauteing in EVOO. What a nice twist with the sweetness, like eating carrots. I can't wait to try them with the bacon and brown sugar.
I'm not a baker.... the rolls were bolillo rolls from Wally World. I brushed them with EVOO, toasted them in the toaster oven and rubbed them with raw garlic. I like them because they are so wide and you can pile a lot into them. That means grilled Italian brat sandwiches are in my near future :^)