Wednesday 8/17/2011 What's cooking?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Did I miss the dinner thread?

Well I think it will be an easy "breakfast" dinner - oatmeal or pastina and eggs.

Any plans?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know yet. I've got to go to the store after work, so I'm hoping inspiration will seize me while I'm there.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Had to make a run to Sam's and couldn't pass up the ribeyes, so it's steak tonight.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know yet. I've got to go to the store after work, so I'm hoping inspiration will seize me while I'm there.

I'm a little further now, it's center cut pork chops.....somehow. Maybe grilled....maybe honey mustard grilled.

GotGarlic

Had dinner with my best friend at a local saloon - 50-cent tacos and half-price drink specials on Wednesdays. Had two tacos and two glasses of wine for less than 7 bucks.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my stomach is ticked over something i ingested, so i'm avoiding food for this evening, i think.

K

Kimchee

Pizza.. not JUST pizza, but FREE pizza!!!!!

(Papa John's gives you points for ordering, eventually you
get a 3 topping free!!! I'm adding some toppings when it gets here.)

Nancy-MD

Why does FREE pizza always taste better? LOL Yummmmm!

Tonight's supper was chili cheese and onion hot dogs. Ooey, gooey and yummy!

Attachments

• chili cheese onion dogs 004.jpg
    chili cheese onion dogs 004.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 101

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It's been waaaaaaaaaay to long since I've had a chili cheese dog with onions. Not very healthy, which is probably why they taste soooooooo good! Now I'm jonesing for something I shouldn't this late at night. Fight the urge...fight the urge...fight the urge...:D

Anyway, this was day three on Monday's pork shoulder roast, but now soaked overnight in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, topped with Grandma's coleslaw, and the ubiquitous tomatoe/cuke/onion salad and local sweet corn on a homemade rye sandwich thin. We worked in the yard all afternoon, so I want to show off DW's diligence & hard work with the deck & patio where we ate dinner tonight. She really has a green thumb with her flowers, and you'll find her pampering them before work in the early a.m. and again as soon as she gets home. It's a really comfortable place we enjoy, especially since it's in the shade by 4 p.m.

Dinner081711.jpg

P1030867.jpg

P1030868.jpg

Embryodad

Had the Roy Rogers Roast beef sandwiches tonight.
The kids came over...we had corn on the cob, and dessert of pies with berries..all went too fast to take pick sof the pie's
I did manage to shoot a few R/Beef pics. They were great.
We toasted the rolls butterd lightly in the toaster oven.
Made some beef au ju...and I made all the sandwiches, and wrapped them up in foil just like at Roy Rogers used to do.

I would say I made about 23 sandwiches. There were two left over, and I brought them to the neighbor to sample. Then I got like 1-1/2 lbs of sliced thin beef left over for roast beef and tomato sammies later or tomorrow.

ec206e8e.jpg

cf2f49d8.jpg

d9f5b095.jpg

Embryodad

Another tease.... with that chili dog huh Nancy? huh?

Now I'm wishing for one...

Did I say one? Nope! When it come to eating, there is no such thing as One. In my book anyway.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Your yard looks like a lovely haven, Joe. Congratulations on all the hard work paying off! (Your dinner looks good, too).

Nancy, that chili cheese dog looks delicious!

Peeps, we must be on the same wave length tonight. I came home from grocery shopping in the late afternoon, put the groceries away and started to plan dinner. Then I started to think about how HOT it is and how I really didn't want to stand over a hot stove tonight. I announced the choices: (1) popcorn in the microwave - yes, I finally bought a new one today; (2) cold cereal; (3) granola; (4) tacos from down the street. I chose option 1; Jerry chose option 2, and we're both pleased with our choices.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Jimmy, we must have been posting at the same time - your roast beef looks mouth-watering! Yummy sandwiches....

Embryodad

It's been waaaaaaaaaay to long since I've had a chili cheese dog with onions. Not very healthy, which is probably why they taste soooooooo good! Now I'm jonesing for something I shouldn't this late at night. Fight the urge...fight the urge...fight the urge...:D

Anyway, this was day three on Monday's pork shoulder roast, but now soaked overnight in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, topped with Grandma's coleslaw, and the ubiquitous tomatoe/cuke/onion salad and local sweet corn on a homemade rye sandwich thin. We worked in the yard all afternoon, so I want to show off DW's diligence & hard work with the deck & patio where we ate dinner tonight. She really has a green thumb with her flowers, and you'll find her pampering them before work in the early a.m. and again as soon as she gets home. It's a really comfortable place we enjoy, especially since it's in the shade by 4 p.m.

Dinner081711.jpg

P1030867.jpg

P1030868.jpg
JoeV... Love the deck angles and design.
You must have had a great architect and builder to perform that beauty.

Who's that sitting on the deck? ....The Better Half? ...

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Nan and Jimmy!! WOW I now want a chili dog and a roast beef sandwich!! YUMMY

homecook

All the dinners sound mighty tasty!
Nancy the hot dog is calling my name. :readytoeat: Joe, your dinner looks great for a summer night. Jimmy, those sandwiches look fantastic!

I grilled boneless pork chops, made a zucchini tart and bow tie pasta with four cheeses.

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 85

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh barb, you were WAY more ambitious than I w as tonight. That looks delicious. I love the zucchini tart!

Embryodad

Nancy the hot dog is calling my name. :readytoeat: Joe, your dinner looks great for a summer night. Jimmy, those sandwiches look fantastic!

I grilled boneless pork chops, made a zucchini tart and bow tie pasta with four cheeses.

Now I want Bowties with Fried Cabbage and Onions...

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I want alot of things, Jimmie - pork chops, chili dogs and roast beef sandwich! All I have is half a bowl of cold, greasy popcorn, full of "old maids." I can't even persuade the dogs to eat it...tomorrow, tomorrow.

homecook

Thanks Jimmy and Karen!

Karen, the zucchini tart was another recipe I've been wanting to try. It is absolutely delicious. It would go great with just a salad for a light dinner.

Jimmy now you've reminded me of an old Polish dish I make Cabbage and Noodles...Haluski. An old stand by during Lent.

Nancy-MD

Dinner081711.jpg

P1030867.jpg

P1030868.jpg
What an inviting back yard and deck/patio area you have there! Beautiful! Your meal looks so good, too! Very nice, all of it.
Had the Roy Rogers Roast beef sandwiches tonight.
The kids came over...we had corn on the cob, and dessert of pies with berries..all went too fast to take pick sof the pie's
I did manage to shoot a few R/Beef pics. They were great.
We toasted the rolls butterd lightly in the toaster oven.
Made some beef au ju...and I made all the sandwiches, and wrapped them up in foil just like at Roy Rogers used to do.

I would say I made about 23 sandwiches. There were two left over, and I brought them to the neighbor to sample. Then I got like 1-1/2 lbs of sliced thin beef left over for roast beef and tomato sammies later or tomorrow.

ec206e8e.jpg

cf2f49d8.jpg

d9f5b095.jpg
Oh Jimmy that beef looks so good! Great looking sandwiches.
Your yard looks like a lovely haven, Joe. Congratulations on all the hard work paying off! (Your dinner looks good, too).

Nancy, that chili cheese dog looks delicious!

Peeps, we must be on the same wave length tonight. I came home from grocery shopping in the late afternoon, put the groceries away and started to plan dinner. Then I started to think about how HOT it is and how I really didn't want to stand over a hot stove tonight. I announced the choices: (1) popcorn in the microwave - yes, I finally bought a new one today; (2) cold cereal; (3) granola; (4) tacos from down the street. I chose option 1; Jerry chose option 2, and we're both pleased with our choices.
YAY for new microwaves! And not cooking! A good day all around!

That looks wonderful. I would love a piece of that zucchini tart.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
JoeV... Love the deck angles and design.
You must have had a great architect and builder to perform that beauty.

Who's that sitting on the deck? ....The Better Half? ...
Yes, that's my bride enjoying a rare moment of relaxation.

Thanks for the compliment. I designed and built the deck back in '93, a year after we built the house. I have been a designer/builder/remodeler since '76, and scaled back the business in '03 to a Handyman business. We did the patio last summer.

Embryodad

Thanks Jimmy and Karen!

Karen, the zucchini tart was another recipe I've been wanting to try. It is absolutely delicious. It would go great with just a salad for a light dinner.

Jimmy now you've reminded me of an old Polish dish I make Cabbage and Noodles...Haluski. An old stand by during Lent.
I make the Halushki for Tina. Her mom used to make them...
I make the Halushki with Grated potatoes and flour and a little black pepper and egg.
I drop them in boiling salted water in 1/2 teaspoon size oval balls...just like gnocci...but different. I fry the chopped cabbage with onion slices till it starts to carmelize......in oil... I add oil to the finished halushki; as they are cooked, and then add the cabbage and stir it in. She just loves them.

I eat them too...but I just like sauce on mine. I'm not that fond of cabbage with them.

But yes....she loves fried cabbage and bowties too!

She can cook great food and now I had to take over as her hands. She has difficulty and has little right hand and arm use due to a disability...but I do her prepping and chopping and mixing.

She is tops when it comes to Baking.....but a lot of that is strenuous on her body lately.