Southern Living Magazine!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The Food Director of Southern Living Magazine contacted me with this email:

We came across your Multi-grain Pancakes, and our Test Kitchen loved them! We tentatively plan to run them in the May 2013 issue of Southern Living, with your permission, of course. I'd also like to get a short quote from you about the pancakes, and I need your name and mailing address so I can properly credit you and send you a cookbook. Please contact me at your earliest convenience as we are almost at the production phase of this issue.

How cool is that?!?! Here's the recipe: Multi Grain Pancakes

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, a celebrity in our midst. :)
That is awesome Mama. Congrats. :clap: :clap: :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy COW!!! What a thrill, Mama!!!

Congratulations!

Lee

P.S. Your photos and directions and your whole website are incredible!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Jim and Lee! I've enjoyed making the website. It's been fun.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Congratulations! I have a grand son who loves these pancakes. Also take the magazine and look forward to seeing you get credit.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks belaine! We are having them for breakfast this morning along with some bacon and eggs. Wish I had some blueberries to put in them though.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations Mama. I have always loved everything you post. I am glad to see you get some recognition.

Bells

Congrats Mama! I just checked out that recipe and can't wait to try it. (and some others too:)) Maple syrup season is almost upon us here and I'll be stocking up for the year. Your pancakes will be the first thing I make.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Andy and Bells! We had them for breakfast this morning along with bacon and scrambled eggs. I wish I had remembered to get some blueberries when we were out and about yesterday. I highly recommend adding blueberries to these.

Attachments

• breakfast02232013.jpg
    breakfast02232013.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 193

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>blueberries

I keep a bag of frozen on hand - for _exactly_ that reason . . .
actually I think the frozen "do better" than fresh - I make the batter, ladle on the flattop, then sprinkle on some berries, wait, flip.

the frozen don't goosh so much - but they get plenty 'hot' especially as the second side finishes up - even get a little 'sugar crunch' around the (berry) edges.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Great idea CM! That's how I do blueberry pancakes too. I don't like to add them to the batter because I like my blueberries evenly distributed.

Now I just need to remember to pick up some of the frozen ones :lol:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
actually, it all started out with (long story omitted)....

but, three kids, weekend pancakes.... I took up reverse-on-glass-"painting" with the pancake batter to create their favorite characters / things / etc.

example: the youngest was/hmmm still is/ fond of rabbits. small spoon, two drops on the grill for the eyes, longish smear trail for one ear, wait, more batter for head, wait, longish smear for second ear, add smear for front legs, glob with a trail for rear legs, glob for the tail, wait, add glob for body, flip. the 'reverse' painted image is now the 'up' side. kids are pretty easy - even the boo-boo's were well eaten.

you have two capabilities - cooking the glob to 'set' for a distinct shape feature and the shade of (batter) brown(ing)

so then I went a bit more overboard using "stuff" to "insert" in the dough -
the obvious raisins, how about a sliced strawberry for a pink bunny nose?
now this is where it gets interesting, because to simultaneously execute the reverse-glass-batter painting technique _and_ incorporate the embedded fruit technique, some of the fruits gotta' go down first....

the blueberries made for a nice heart shape in DW's pancake which for example had later rewards, which shall remain unspecified. maraschino cherries sliced in half in a heart shape pattern, ahhh, can't elaborate on those effects in a family oriented forum.

my major glitch to "mass production" of blueberry pancakes was, aside from the 'even distribution' problem (not insignificant, btw) - dang, I stirred them in and now I got blue batter!

so I took to making the batter plain and dropping in the fruit - of which I'm prone to have a lot of different things on hand . . - as the first side sets up.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I had friends over for brunch once and we made pancakes. Blueberry, strawberry and banana. I poured the batter on griddle and each batch got one of the fruits added before the flip. It was a hit. Served with bacon, sausage and eggs.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, a published cook! I can always eat some good home made pancakes. And we do the frozen blueberries also. Messes up my coumadin so we don't put quite as many in as I would like. We pick our own berries and flash freeze them on cookie sheets so they stay individual and not mushed. Congrats Momma.:wink:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
...and here it is :hotdog:

Attachments

• southern-living-cover.jpg
    southern-living-cover.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 142
  • southern-living-1.jpg
    southern-living-1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 141

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Congratulations, Mama, what an honor :bounce:! Southern Living is my favorite magazine. I'll have to pick up a copy of that edition. I'm betting you'll be buying about 50 copies :clap:.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks y'all!

:lol: No Cooksie, I only bought 3. One for me for show and tell, one for DH for show and tell and one for a keepsake. I may buy one more to put in a frame for my kitchen though :w00t: